Does a 93 Mondial T have the exact same engine as a 348? | FerrariChat

Does a 93 Mondial T have the exact same engine as a 348?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by asianbond, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Need to know whether a 93 Mondial T with Valeo transmission has the same engine as a 348?

Are the blocks identical and use the same engine mounts?
    Do they use the same transmission, clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, clutch housing, mounts?

I thought the valeo unit was just an add-on part to the same 348 manual transmission and clutch set up.

Looking to convert back to a straight manual clutch set-up from the valeo unit for a project car.

2. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Sorry, I can´t help with this but would be interested in the answer too ...

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    yes - same engine.
    not sure about trans.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    '93 Valeo Tranny option came about in '93 - very few t's were fitted.

Mondial t
    Tipo F119 DL (*Tipo F119 G in US = 295bhp)

Essentially same as:

348 tb & ts ("t" = transverse gearbox)
    Tipo F119 D

Since both shared:

3.4 L V8 | 3405cc | bore & stoke 85mm x 75mm | 300bhp @ 7200rpm | compression 10.4:1 | Bosch Motronic M2.5

though bhp increased by 20 on:

348 GTB, GTS, GT Competizione
    Tipo F119 H

primarily because of upgraded Motronic:

3.4 L V8 | 3405 cc | bore & stroke 85mm × 75mm | 320bhp @ 7200 rpm | compression 10.4:1 | Bosch Motronic M2.7
    __

FWIW, no price distinction made between stick or clutchless Valeo system

5. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    Hi , I have a Mondial t cab 1993 , my owners manual says that I have a motronic 2.7 giving all the describtions of its components , I bought my vehicle about 1 year ago , it has a valeo clutch, I have since spoken to ferrari in uk egham, because same as you I wanted to change back to normal clutch pedal operation, they said I could put it back as itwas , with a clutch pedal if I wanted with no problems just the cost , the valeo clutch was put in after the vehicle was made at a cost of £10,000 I have the previous owners receipt for the work , the gentleman at ferrari Egham told me the system works very well on the vehicle , I have got used to mine and find that it is a good system also found to be most reliable , if I remember ferrari told me that the clutch does last longer with this system fitted , anyway for now its great no problems , I have some write up and diagrams of the system if you wish to see them let me know , I have not sent any pictures on here yet but I will need to start somewhere so let me know , ciao for now Peppi.

6. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi Peppi, I am also owner of an T cab from 1993 with the Valeo system. I personally like it a lot (especially in the Mondial T it makes sense because the regular gear box is a bit reluctant and the pedals are very close to each other, so confusing break and clutch in a moment of absence of concentration might happen ...).

Of course I am a little bit concerned as everone is telling me that the Valeo clutch is a problematic device.

Let´s keep in touch regarding our experiences with the system.