"There is only one Ferrari, and this isn't it" | Page 8 | FerrariChat

"There is only one Ferrari, and this isn't it"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by t88power, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Allan
    The car R&T tested as well as C&D's aren't final. The Ford guys told me they can make this engine produce 650HP easily and may in final trim. I think they are using car mags to see what the reaction is and will set final HP accordingly. I believe they are doing duribility testing at 650hp before they deceide. The car is also lighter than people think. For 150K it will be a lot of car.

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Magazines say about 4 seconds. Only real test i have is from a german Magazine, Auto Und Motorsport.

It put the Gallardo at 0-62mph in 4.2seconds
    0-125 in 13.8 seconds
    0-104mph in 9 seconds

With those numbers it should be right in line with the Gt40. Only problem is the Gt40 will be VERY Easy to mod. The Gallardo wont.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Absolutely. Even it at the numbers indicated by the Road and Track test, the Gt40 is awesome. I know that with very few mods, Ford Mustang guys are getting the Supercharged Cobra into 10 second 1/4 miles. The Gt40 will be just as easy to mod.

I saw the Gt40 at the Concourso this year. I dnt know what it is, just looks weird to me. Like its a Tonka Toy or something. Very plastic looking.

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    can you get it without all the racing stripes and everything? I'd be interested to see it just in solide color

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Im sure you can.

6. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    Hey Allan, you are quite right the Gallardo is a nice car. its the niciest thing Audi ever made

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

LOL! Very original. Dont get me going with the FIAT comments.

8. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interesting thread. Very cool Lambo video.

==> Anyone have the URL of a similar 360 video from Top Gear?

Thanks.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Audi has won LeMans for the last 4 years (Once clad as a Bentley) Ferrari hasn't won LeMans since 1965...

10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That's good for a laugh. Seems to me Ferrari has been concentrating on that minor auto racing activity called Formula One...

Gary

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I for one do not keep up with Formula 1, but in the new Forza magazine, there is alittle article about Formula 1, and the future of Ferrari cars. Pretty interesting read. Not exactly sure what has gone on, but it seems there have been some unjust calls? Im not sure, just scanned through it. Anyways they predict Schumacker will not last through his contract, and the end of Ferrari forumula 1 victory. It also says that Ferrari faces an onslaught of competition, from cars also with long, rich history. UH oh! Also some notes of very embarrasing losses for Ferrari recently?

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Gary
    You ever drive an F1 car? A F1 car have much to do with anything you drive? Why do you think Ferrari is badging their Enzo racer as a Maser?
    Think it's because they think they're going to be be beating Audi and Porsche?

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    http://www.clubarnage.com/archive.htm#1965

Be sure to observe not only '65, but '66 onwards & a few of those cars...
    Napolis drives a humbling piece of history. Daily. Owns another piece of history that is not of this earth.

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    >>You ever drive an F1 car?<<

No, just Formula Ford, Formula Mazda, and Formula Atlantic.

>>A F1 car have much to do with anything you drive?<<

Actually, quite a lot of technology spins off from F1 to the road, witness F1 gearbox among many others.

Now here's one for you:

You ever drive a LeMans racer?

Gary

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Excuse my ignorance, but I had to follow up on this comment - what's in Napolis's collection?!?

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "You ever drive a LeMans racer?"

Gary, ouch, I've found there's a pretty deep pool of experience in these waters. I'm betting he has driven more than one LeMans racer, but perhaps we'll see. I think Napolis and others, though they are fans of and knowledgeable about the marque, sometimes do not suffer gladly "give me Ferrari or give me death" chauvinism.

Regards from a fellow FM alum. What do you race now?

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Well, I didn't intend to offend anyone, if he's driven at Le Mans my hat is off to him, I'm strictly local. I have at fun at track days, no wheel-to-wheel any more.

I hope nobody takes chat board "zingers" too seriously, most of us are just woofin'.

Gary

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Actually I just got back from driving one of the three I currently own. If you look in the GT40 thread you'll see a pic of it. It's the yellow one with Max Kelly leaning in as Bruce and Mark stand by. If you look in the P4 thread you'll see a second. If you look at the Lola thread you'll see a third.
    As for Modern F1 cars having much to do with the cars we drive IMHO they don't. I still feel the cars that race at LeMans are much closer to the cars we drive and as I said earlier Ferrari, unlike Audi hasn't finished 1 OA there since 1965. To dismiss Audi's motorsports accomplishments or Lambo's potential under Audi/VW, who BTW may very well wind up owning Ferrari is silly.

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #194 allanlambo, Nov 22, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    >>Actually I just got back from driving one of the three I currently own.<<

I apologize for the sarcasm, clearly you're well qualified to comment. My feeling has always been that any big-league racing has significant technology spillover to road cars.

>>To dismiss Audi's motorsports accomplishments or Lambo's potential under Audi/VW, who BTW may very well wind up owning Ferrari is silly.<<

Actually, I don't recall posting that comment.

Gary

21. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Gary's question to Jim about his experience with LeMans cars is such a perfect set-up. And Jim's response was graceful.

Even the LeMans cars today are far more sophisticated than the "street" cars to which most mortals have access. I still admire most the kind of car that can be driven to the track, raced, and driven home. That Ford GT looks ok in my book.

22. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Sheesh. I did walk into that one, didn't I. And I'm old enough to know better.

Gary