URGENT BALL JOINT HELP NEEDED!! | FerrariChat

URGENT BALL JOINT HELP NEEDED!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by brent Lachelt, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    #1 brent Lachelt, Apr 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am installing new lower ball joints in my 308. They came from ferrari UK and they look great. However, I'm having a problem installing them. Never done this before and I could use some advice. The problem is this: I am trying to tighten up the nut on top of the joint, but when it gets down the threads a little way it begins to just spin the ball in the joint. In other words I can't tighten it up. The ball joint spins. Now I can't get the nut off because it just spins when I try to loosen it. It is kind of a lock nut of sorts that was sent. The pic enclosed is the other new joint that is not on the car

Thanks Brent
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Never mind. I was able to get the nut off. I took the ball joint off and ran the nut up and down the threads acouple of times, reinstalled and the nut goes down and sinches up the joint fine. Thought it was going to be a long weekend. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Brent just take a air impact wrench and spin it off. It should come off quickly. Also when you install the joint as you can see it is cone shape and meant to be a friction force fit. I usually just push the joint in and hold it while I use the air impact wrench on it.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When you have the ball joint installed in the lower control arm and the ball shaft in the knuckel, start the nut by hand and turn as far as it will go with hand pressure. Now place a floor jack underneith the ball joint and jack-up the control arm assembly. This will push the ball joint into the knucle and allow the nut to be turned without the shaft spinning. You don't have to jack the arm up to much. Just enough until the ball joint is all the way into the knucle.

5. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Thanks Tom and Steve. I didn't have an air gun, but I ended up doing as you suggested without knowing it and it turned out great. Thanks for your quick response.

Brent

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    when i dont have air to use, i use the tie rod end seperator upside down to start the castle nut without the ball joint spinning. its the same thing as using the jack under the control arm, though i err on the side of caution as the jack can damage things really fast. the wedge shape of the tie rod end seperator makes it easy to slip out as the castle nut is tightened and the cotter pins are installed (i safety wire mine as well ). michael