Another interesting airplane video | FerrariChat

Another interesting airplane video

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tvrfreak, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
  2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I knew I should flushed twice

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Well, I'm still in the dark ages with a dial-up connection, so I haven't seen the video, but I can assure you, having flown the 747 in three varieties (-100, -200, -400) for United Airlines, there is no way for the crew to dump water in flight. Fuel yes, water no. Is it possible the video shows fuel dumping? The dump nozzles are on the trailing edge of the wingtips.

Gary

4. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Its water all the way dude.

Makes you wonder about those summer showers...

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I was incredulous at first as well, but it seems to be the real McCoy. Perhaps it's a modified plane with special apparatus. I don't even know what the application would be, as it can't land on water or skim it, and the huge weight changes cause trim/configuration complications.

The fluid is coming out from below, aft of the wings. I know about the fuel nozzles at the trailing edges...it's definitely not those. Aircraft livery is Evergreen International, if that's any help. Thought they were cargo, no?

It supposedly came from www.airtanker.com but I can't find it on that site.

Here's a couple of posts about it.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Wow, that is insane. I doubt they would dump fuel like that?

--Dan

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Gary, here's some screen captures. I tried to get it with the smallest amount of water showing in the first pic so you could perhaps identify where it's coming from. Would really appreciate your input, or any other flying stories you want to share!

8. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Dumping fuel is regular in the event of an emergency landing. Airliners cant land with full fuel loads...Here is a shot of an L1011 fuel dump.

Gary, Faisal is right about the fuel(?) coming from the underbelly of the aircraft. Could that be from the center tanks or do they go to the trailing edge of the wings too? The aircraft is a 200 I believe.

This video might have been from some sort of test. Otherwise I dont see any reason for a chase aircraft to be there and any reason for most of the flaps to be down at a high altitude --look at the pitch of the nose!

9. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Yes, that has to be a major modification. There is no way a standard 747 can do that.

No, it looks like a modification to turn the plane into a water bomber. The liquid would not have been fuel, but water or other fire suppression substance. Aircraft cannot dump fuel that quickly.

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Maybe this is a stupid question (temperature in the air, etc) - but wouldn't dumping fuel, if it were fuel in Faisal's video / pictures), risk ignition due to proximity / surrounding the exhaust?

--Dan

11. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Yes boba, that's why when actually dumping fuel, they release it in thin controlled streams towards the outer edge of the wings, as depicted in Jordan's photo. The forward motion of the plane forces the fuel instantly backwards and away from the aircraft. I suppose if you were dumping fuel, then decided to attempt a vertical climb, stalled, and fell back on yourself, you'd probably ignite the fuel. :)

12. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Would love to say it was, but it's not my video...although I have shot a couple worth watching! ;)

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I have seen the mighty F-111 have a fuel dump actually at the rear of the plane between the nozzels. In burner, the fuel ignites and leaves a flame as long or longer than the plane. Will try to find the picture.

Of course, I have also seen an F-4E do that, but that was due to a centerline tank fuel cap failure and fuel blown up into the engines aux air doors. Only time I have ever watched a crew eject in person. Especially memorable as I had originally been scheduled to be in that plane.

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Great video. Thanks for posting. Did a little searching, and I think I solved the mystery: it's a specially-developed super-tanker for drops. From Evergreen's website:

"Evergreen International Aviation is proud to announce the development of an advanced multi-mission aircraft, the Evergreen Supertanker.

This aircraft, a Boeing 747 with 24,000 gallons of tank space on board, will offer the most superior drop capabilities, safety standards and operational flexibility of any aircraft on the market."

We probably saw a test drop. My guess is that it is indeed water that was being let out.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    cool vid, thanks for the education! i cant imagine how much work the weight and balance sheet must take to get the flight charateristics to be usable with the weight of the fuel and the water in that aircraft. seems the dump valve is in the centerline , way aft of the normal Datum ( balance point ). the tanks must be under the center fuel tanks, or they modified the existing center tanks for the water dump. that means the wing tanks and balance tubes all had to be seperated!!! sheesh! i just do business jets, i hope to get to work on the big dogs one day!!!! i would love to get a close look at a 777 one day. ( since it so huge!)again, great video and thanks! michael

16. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yeah, I found the Evergreen info as well. Pretty stupid idea, if you ask me. It would take a long time for a 747 to land, get filled up, and take off again. Which airport has so much water ready to load onto an aircraft?

And why choose a lumbering 747 when a smaller nimble plane is required, either an amphibious one or one that can skim across lakes and pick up water quickly.

Plus, a 747 would consume a lot more fuel.

Are fires really a problem on top of Everest?

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Fuel from any/all tanks gets dumped from the same nozzles at the wing tips. This is a fire fighting aircraft, as several others have solved by now.

Gary

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Gary,

Random aside, but do you still fly for pleasure?

--Dan

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Take a look at this F18.. the center tank fuel cap was left off!!!! Our Tax $$$$$ at Work.

20. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I take it that F/A-18 Hornet was just taking off? I suppose the pilot ejected then?

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    James,

The Pilot did eject and it was at takeoff. If you take a close look under the wings there are bombs hanging from the hard points.

I guess not only did the pilot need a new plane he also needed a new flight suit.

Rob

22. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Yes, went from a 747-400 to a 172 :)

Gary

23. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Gary,

Had a funny discussion when I was getting my PPL with my instructor. He indicated that he had taken a retired 747-400 captain out one day, because the captain wanted to get back in the air for a bit. They were coming in on final on their 172, when the captain -- used to the aerodynamics of the Heavy -- started to flare some 50 feet above the runway.

Guess it takes some getting used to, huh. I just thought it was kinda funny. Every happen to you? :D

24. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    No question about it. All your learned responses to sight pictures from the cockpit are screaming at you to start your flare at 50 feet. It took me a good half-dozen landings to find the ground in the 172. And I keep calling myself "United" on the radio at these little airports. Such a creature of habit.
    :)

Gary