Euro Exhaust on 83 US 308QV? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Euro Exhaust on 83 US 308QV?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Harta320, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bill,

The rear valance on my car was unique to the early 308 GTBs. The OEM muffler's tailpipes cleared the lower edge of the valance, but the Euro ANSA's pipes were a bit too high (~1.75 cm). And so for many years, my car's previous owner left the valance off. I had the pipes cut at the areas I've indicated and repositioned so as to clear the valance. Welding was necessary, but the shop did a nice job. The steel valance can be easily fabricated and is mounted with sheet metal screws.

Peter's Euro valance available on ebay seems a much simpler route and will not involve modifying the muffler. Also, the valance is very similar to the Euro QV valance.

It's also a good idea to secure some heat resistant/reflective material to the underside of the fiberglass panel that forms the floor of the trunk as the ANSA has a central hot spot and will mount close enough to the panel to burn a hole through the fiberglass. My ANSA did just that, about a 2 cm diameter hole exposing the insulation. The material used was the stuff they use in F40 engine bays. You can see it in this view.

Barry

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bill,

It's also best to check with ANSA Automotive:

http://www.ansaautomotive.com/index.html

as the muffler system for your car differs from mine. Also, the current production ANSA mufflers differ from my older 1982 system.

Barry

3. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    Barry Thanks!

That is exactly the info I needed. I looked on Ebay for that rear valence and could not find it. I am sure it is me. Who is this Peter and do you kow how to contact him?

Bill

4. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
  5. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
    go to ebay and search for this # 2471947111

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    threads like this should be bookmarked and put in a 308 exhaust file when they eventually close. there is a great deal of quality info in here!

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bill,

Peter is "fastaone" who posted earlier with the ebay link and who has now provided an email address for the seller. I feel that it's an easy installation, quite inexpensive, and replicates the OEM Euro valance.

As far as the current ANSA muffler for your US version QV, it's best to check with ANSA as to compatability as I've mentioned. As Mike Charness mentioned, you can also consider the Stebro system. I had one on my MGB years ago and was very pleased with it. With the Euro style valance you're considering, the muffler body will be quite visible and it depends on your preference as to what shows, stainless steel or black. Then you can consider sound and there are some differences, but again it comes down to preferences.

Barry

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bill,

I looked more closely at that ebay item. It appears to be just a low profile shield ("exhaust cover") and not the Euro valance itself. Indeed, the seller mentions:

"Do you then look at the back end and feel it looks a little unfinshed!
    Why did Pininfarina leave it with that ugly exhaust hanging out the back???"

In which case you need the rear valance that Paul Newman is installing. It's available at Ferrari U.K. I think you would have to do pretty much the same thing Paul is doing to properly install the valance. I'm not entirely familiar with the body panels on the rear of your QV. It might be possible to fit my valance to your car. There is not enough room laterally on the valance to create cutouts for the tailpipes, however.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is mount the muffler you settle on and have a good restoration shop make a valance for you with the appropriate elongated Euro oval and the cutouts to clear the tailpipes, if needed. It won't be a one-piece affair as is the OEM part, but it will look the same and will be a reversible modification. You can always return to stock when the time comes.

I agree with your preference of the Euro look over the "diaper" that came on US version cars.

Barry

9. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    Thanks for all the info Barry.

I looked at the valance you where talking about and that is not what I had in mind. I think you picked up on that after you took a good look at it. I have talked to Ansa Tech rep and he seems to think the muffler style you have would work once all the crap(extra pipes and cats are removed). After reading your post about your system I think I would have to have the muffler cut and welded most likely just like you did. Does not seem that big of a deal to me but I have no idea what that might cost. I would then fabricate some kind of valence like you have. I sent Newman an email and he said that should work just fine. His car had the set up I am thinking of putting in. I may even get lucky and not have to do anything to the muffler. Naaa

If I go with this set up, it would really straighten out the exhaust system. Not sure if that would help performance wise but should. I like Ansa because it looks like the Euro version will fit with the least amount of effort and many people seem to like the sound(not to loud) and the price is not the cheapest but not Tubi either. Has to be better than stock! If I go with someone else I most likely will have to stick with the current set up and that means I would have to purchase test tubes because the cats are gone. More money and I still do not have what I really want. I have a little while before I tackle this project but I will certainly keep everyone informed of how it goes.

10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bill,

You might not have to modify your muffler system at all. If you're having a valance fabricated, have them use the OEM Euro valance as a pattern to create that central portion you need to attach to the fiberglass panels laterally and to the rear panel superiorly. The elongated oval cutout on mine is longer than the Euro oval as there are cutouts on each side for the tailpipes on the Euro valance. The ANSA tailpipes will therefor clear the valance without modification. If you bring some photographs of the Euro valance to good restoration shop, they should be able to do this easily.

I'm happy with my ANSA exhaust. The current ANSA Sport system looks similar. It's not as loud as a Tubi and is tolerable during long trips. The ANSA system sounds best when everything is at operating temperature; a nice burble at idle and a pleasing sound at speed.

Barry

11. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    straigtening out the exaust pipes will not affect performance. I did a lot of header/exhaust research a while back and just about everything i read stated that your exhaust system doesnt care if there alot of crazy bends in it, just as long as there is minimal restriction and no interference (ie: true dual exhaust) for scavenging unburnt exhaust gasses from the exhaust stroke. another words, think of it as a column of air pulling exhaust out of your combustion chamber in a steady stream.........
    john