Fiat 128 hotrods? | FerrariChat

Fiat 128 hotrods?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Random thought:

How would you hotrod a Fiat 128/Yugo GVX?

I had a Yugo back in college and I think the car weighed a little more than a sixpack of Keystone. It was slow but surprisingly chuckable before it died in a traffic accident.

So, I'm thinking that a Fiat X1/9 1.3 or 1.5 motor and a bit of lowering (X1/9 struts) would make for a zippy little car, and it'll all bolt in.

Thoughts?

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think the x1/9 has a 128 engine...althought the later ones were 1.5 w/5spd. I think they weight in at about 2000 lbs, so to make it fun, you'll need about 200 hp. The only way that is going to happen is with a turbo/supercharger. Also, since it's front wheel drive with mis-matched axle lengths and without traction control, you are limited to about 15 lbs/hp to avoid untold torque steer issues...which limits you to 133 hp....

Now if you go to an x1/9 and fit it with a 308 engine......I put a 425hp 500ci caddy engine in you years ago, but it didn't go willingly, there was just a touch or cutting involved :)

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Err.

What I had in mind was a Yugo GVX with a Fiat X1/9 engine, tranny and struts.

Amazingly enough, I found one for sale last night, already converted with dual carbs on a 1.5 and a 5 speed. Only problem is that it's in Oregon.

Hmmm......

5. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Tillman,

There are plenty of very hot Hugos running around. You might want to post on http://www.mirafiori.com. There are several guys who race Hugos several.

Rodney

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    If you can find one:

Once available through the Abarth goodies/parts catalogue was part# 7028877, a Group 2 dry-sump, Kugelfisher fuel-injected, SOHC, 1500cc, 10500rpm engine that could be used in a Fiat Ritmo for racing purposes... 165hp, and 240Km/H top speed. Quite successful in the Giro D'Italia... Hehehe :)

Back in 1978, you could buy the complete car from Abarth for a cool $40000. :eek: