Driving the F1 tranny in automatic ... a lot ? | FerrariChat

Driving the F1 tranny in automatic ... a lot ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by juicert, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    If I get an F1 360, I will enjoy using the F1 shifters ... but for normal town driving I would like to just leave it in automatic and drive it like any other auto-transmission car.

Is this a problem ? Does this hurt it, or is it the same amount of wear no matter what mode you put it in ?

Anyone here doing a lot of driving in automatic ?

2. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I wouldn't recommend using it too much. The automatic mode uses the clutch very liberally, and I would think that it will shorten the life of your clutch.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    really?

in theory the quattroporte will be driven in "automatic mode" almost exclusively.

is the programming in it so wildly different that it won't beat the crapola out of the clutch?

same MM equipment, right?

doody.

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The auto mode is pretty rough in the 360. Tried it a couple of times when I bought the car 3 years ago. Never used the mode since. It's more fun to flick the paddles anyway.

Maserati Quattroporte and Ferrari 612 have the next, next generation systems so I would expect it to be very smooth given the more luxurious nature of these cars.

5. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    The problem is that before too long you will be slitting your wrists. I love the F1 transmission but I'm sorry, the automatic mode sucks big time.

6. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    I must have a poor understanding of how an F1 tranny works then - I guess I don't see the difference between the paddle telling the computer to "shift now" and the computer telling the computer to "shift now".

Are those two operations handled differently, or does putting it in auto mode just cause that event to happen much more frequently ?

Or some other explanation ?

7. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    At least on my 360, the auto mode tends to shift to taller gears much more than I would otherwise. If you let off the gas, you can find yourself in 6th at 35-40mph. As you move thru town, it shifts many more times, always looking for the tallest gear for your speed. Once in 6th at low speed,you have to step quite a bit on the gas to get it back to the lower gears, so it is not as smooth as it could be.
    There are times I will use auto mode (ie, I have to use the cell phone), but it is pretty rare any more.
    I drive a Dinan M3 SMG frequently. In that car, you can change the settings to tell the car what your shifting preferences are and the auto mode is thus much more likely to match your driving style.
    I do not know if the F1 would adapt if I drove it harder. Does anyone know if the computer is trainable to increase the shift points in auto mode?

steve

8. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Why would you want to do that in the first place (auto mode)? Seems like it defeats the purpose of the car. Even in town and traffic, it's a whole lot of fun to play with the F1. Just curious - Tim

9. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    The F1 is so easy to use that I can't understand why anyone would even wan to use the Auto mode.

10. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    I read a lot about how the F1 owners on this board couldn't understand anyone using the auto feature. Yet, when I was in Hawaii, I knew a 360 Spider owner who I only saw use his car in auto mode. He told me it was a traffic thing.
    I didn't question him, it's his car, but those paddles look like so much fun I couldn't understand why not either.

11. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    My dad only puts his car in auto mode when he gets caught in traffic. But other than that he taps those paddles.

12. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    Auto mode not very good even 2004 F1 box. I practicaly always use manual mode and when in traffic I put it in N a lot, better for the clutch.

Auto also has the tendency of shifting up in a middle of curve which can be quite disconcerting AND dangerous.

Not to mention the fact that shifting with the paddles is so much fun!

If you get a F1 box the best way to drive it is as if it was a regular manual, don't get it as an Automatic Transmission replacement.

13. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually if it was traffic, it is more of reason to use F1.
    I have a SMG M3, in traffic, you should use 1st and 2nd. If you leave it auto, it upshifts too quickly, no point to let it go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd when you only hit 25mph from a stop, then you gotta stop again, go again. Better to shift when you NEED to in traffic.

14. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Haven driven my 360 F1 around Manhattan extensively for the past month, I will tell you exactly when Auto mode becomes useful:

1. In heavy traffic. I know you all say "but the paddles look so fun!" but that wears off pretty quickly once you've gotten caught going Northbound on the FDR around 4:30pm a few times.

2. Driving...driving...going through tollboth...slow...RING RING cell phone rings...oh crap...fumble for phone...fumble for headset....toll approaching...*Hit Auto Mode*....answer phone...keep driving...go through toll...tell caller that you gotta go....flip flip...back to manual mode.

And that's that.

nlh

15. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben

16. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    In both my 575F1 and E46 SMG automatic Sucks big time.Tried a few times-now never use Auto in either.

17. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I use an SMG equipped M3 as a daily driver into NYC, and the paddles are easy. As for talking on the phone when you're driving- spend a little extra and buy a hands-free set-up. I find the auto mode annoying, even with the adjustability of the SMG set-up.

18. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Same here, shifts are not seamless and never come when you expect them. As for using a cell phone, by a bluetooth headset.

19. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I can't speak for the 612, and have yet to test the QP myself yet, but all the reviews on the QP, and the videos show and state an aweful transmission. It's clunky, automatic was horrible, and shifts are nothing like they are on the 360 CS. Even though they should be.. if not better. I am praying that Maserati fixed it by now.. but these reviews were very recent.
    Keeping an elephant for a pet is a great idea, till you think about the mess you will have to deal with.
    CS

20. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    This is the reason BMW is going to a Seven Speed DSG type Dual clutch on the upcoming M5 .

The automode is perfection in its application.

I'm a big fan of sequential shift technology for its ability.

I believe the dual clutch units will prevail over the very fine manual operation of the single clutch units..

Anyone else wonder if the dual clutch technology will pass from Audi to Maserati with this latest round of technical co-operation..

Would be good to see Ferrari make the change over as well.

Then you could use the auto mod in traffic and not be dissatisfied with the performance?

I drive my six speed Z in manhattan sometimes and it can be a *****.