Rolex = BMW of watches? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Rolex = BMW of watches?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ryalex, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I would have let him have it. If he’s bold enough to say that I would have to be just as bold and let him know what an idiot he is. Patek is one of the greatest watch (and most expensive) makers in the world. Rolex doesn’t even come close in any respect.
    I have notice a lot of Rolex owners don’t know anything about watches. Those people usually bought them because of status since they are the most recognized watch and don’t realize there are better watches.

2. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    My dream watch is an A.Lange & Söhne Lange 1 in rose gold and a white face. Much better than any Rolex and IMO the most beautiful watch in the world.

3. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    i love that watch! i thought it was white gold? does it come in white gold?

4. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    There is high-end and there is "real high-end". :)

There is nothing wrong with buying a used "high-end" watch from a reputable dealer. These watches are used very infrequently, well taken care of, and are almost always as good as new. Most of my watches look almost new as it is difficult to wear all of them frequently. The ones I bought new, I have taken about 30-50% hit, but the used ones are worth about the same as I bought them for.

Recently I sent my AP perpetual for service ($1600 bill) and I got a one (or was it two) year warranty. So, I could have bought it in the gray market for a lot less money, sent it for service for a nominal fee, and gotten the same warranty as a new one. Go figure!

When buying used watches, I would be very very careful with repeaters and chronographs or multiple complications. Those I would only buy new! There is a lot that can go wrong with these complications and I have seen too many horror stories.

In general, be very careful when buying "real high-end" pieces. Multiple complications in wrist watches are fairly new and have not yet passed the test of time. They need to be sent back 'often.'

I would suggest that you buy "real high-end" pieces new and from an authorised dealer that has a lot of pull and not from the vendor. In case of a problem, it is easier to return the piece if you did not buy it directly from the vendor.

5. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
  6. JBL

JBL Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I'm a watch lover myself specially I collect Audemars Piguet Royal Oak's , and I keep learning everyday about this marvelous little machines, there is no better site to learn and enjoy about them:

www.thepurists.com

Regards,

Jorge

7. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    All you guys who look down on Rolex should be better informed.If interested, read http://www.ukwatches.com/frame.html. You might be surprised by the parallels with Ferrari (gasp!). As for AP, IWC, Breguet, Blancpain, Ulysse Nardin and many others, these companies do not make watches that EXCLUSIVELY use their own movements. In fact, it is common for watch manufacturers to use ETA and Valjoux movements, with some modifications and different cosmetics. Believe it or not, Rolex actually uses mostly all their own movements, especially since they released their "new" Daytona (pun intended) watch, stainless version still highly desireable (360 spider anyone?).

Do other watches have better prestige, finish, cost more, more complicated movements etc? Yes, and so what? Get them if you can. I have 4 tourbillons, 1 minute repeater, and many other very "complicated" watches, including the Freak and the Trilogy. Know what I wear everyday? My father's 25 year old Gold GMT Master. Yes, it loses a couple of minutes very month or so, but so what? Do you know what that works out to? (120 /2,678,400) *100 seconds per month, or approx .0045% accuracy!!!! Get a grip! Using wheels, gears and the ingenuity of man, subjected to serious stress, forces, knocks, atmospheric changes, water, and pollution. Not to mention shock each time you run, gesture, dance, shift hard etc.

Oh, and by the way, a Chronometer certificate is exceptionally hard to get, and guess what? Most of the "high End" watches would not qualify, because they would not be accurate enough! Guess which brand has the most chronometer certificates issued, BY FAR!!!

BTW, I like Rolex, and I love my other watches. Just a little perspective...

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

I've got a 250 Ferrari Giradperregaux, number 11 of 250. I'm told they are quite valuable, but who knows.

Art

9. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I like the GPs and the Eberhard Chrono 4 and Extra-Fort are next on my list.

Weekender is an Omega Speedmaster Reduced - Yellow Face
    Have a 1954 Omega 14K solid gold bumper wind that looks like it was made yesterday, and a 1960 Omega Constellation - stainless, with perfect black piepan dial (original not a repaint) and gold markers and hands.

Piepan Constellations are a great vintage watch in the $1K to $3K range depending on the metal - good secondary market as well so easy to shift/trade up/whatever. My watchmaker in Sydney said I can wear it every day - just take care of the cosmetics.

Rolex, IMHO, is a nice quality product but not very clever. Having said that I want a Daytona just like every other race fan.

My USD0.02.

Cheers
    Kevin

10. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ
    anyone mention vacheron constantin yet

11. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Agreed. If you want something stylish for around $4-5K, go for the Cartier Pasha 3 gem sapphire watch. Beautiful and semi-rare.

Nick

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Since someone resurrected my thread, I'll give a little update: although I've cooled on interest on getting a watch in the near future (I want it to be a special/accomplishment/landmark celebration to get a nice watch, like I've earned my stripes), I made a deal with my wife, since she'd been eyeing significantly nicer jewelry when we window-shopped over Christmas.

So for our 10th Anniversary, she will buy me a Patek Phillipe, and I will buy her whatever # carats in diamond jewelry she wants.

She agreed, and then asked how much a Patek costs, and I just let out a "BWU-HA-HA-HAHAH!!!!"

BTW Nick/No355, I've already decided that even with the money to get a Rolex, I'd get either a Panerai or a Cartier. I like being a little different.

13. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    #63 ATBNM3, Apr 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since there are no responses yet I’ll comment. I like this watch because it’s very unique in design. You don’t see the curved sapphire crystal anywhere else that creates the nice optical illusions you see in the last picture. They are made out of 925 Sterling Silver with a 10 micron 18K (Vermeil) finish. The hands and markers also get this finish giving it a real look of luxury. The dials are made of Silver also with an engine turned guilloche design. They use the Automatic Mechanical ETA Swiss Movement 2688. Each one is numbered and they only make 500 of each (mine is number 32/500) so running into one would be rare. I also like they didn’t try to copy or pretend to be another watch. I think the designs they used are innovative and are easy to appreciate. I also love the price it’s great for a Swiss Automatic, they wear very well also. I have been very rough with mine (regretfully), it has been drop on concrete several times and bump into plaster stucco walls yet if you look very hard into the dings you will see no silver showing. I get very good reaction to the watch with a lot of people asking wear I purchased it from.
    I plan on buying a few more of their watches two with Silver with a Palladium plate and another one with a Vermeil.
    I do own several watches my most expensive is my Panerai PAM00051.

BTW I do recognize these watches are not A. Lange & Sohne, Patek Philippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre or the like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Post pick when you get the Patek and I love my Panny. I get tons of comments when I wear it i.e that is one ugly watch. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Over the holidays I went and browsed the nice watch store here in town. I spent 10 minutes staring at the Panerais...
    At first, confusion.
    Then, interest.
    Then acceptance.
    Appreciation will follow, when I get one :).

Seriously, I thought they were so quirky at first, now I really want one. It has allure, like an Enzo - at first you're like "ugh..." then it sinks in and, "Oh my!" Certain women are like that too - you see them and you're like, "meeyah :-(..." and then after a while they look cute. Scarlett Johanssen is like that.

16. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    That's the way it was for me. The first time I saw one I though they were the ugliest watch I had ever seen. But in seeing one again it intrigued me. When I got home I look them up on the net where intrigue became fascination, fascination became desire and a few days later and a trip to Hyde Park I had mine.

17. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Come on! What do you think of the Xezo?

18. tacoz4sale

tacoz4sale Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Girard-Perregaux

any opnions on these watches?....ive seen one of those f50 ones...limited editon...very nice in the pics. ive never seen one in real life nor heard that this brand is good. is it?...any owners care to tell me the pros/cons?...

i bet this watch is a "ferrari".....to me...festina is more "maserati" to me...

19. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I love GP watches and the F50 is very nice. $30,000 for used watch is a lot considering you can get a new Patek or A. Lange for less.

20. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I like vintage, unique timepieces, hence I like the Harwood. 1929-1931. First automatic movement ever used in a wristwatch. They can be had for less than 10 grand, much less. a Stainless steel should be 2 grand or less, gold being much more epensive. I have to believe they will appreciate, it just doesn't seem right that the first automatic watches are so cheap.

Also, I'm just going to ask a nice little question. Anyone here even heard of a brand called "Carl F. Bucherer"? They've been around in the Bucherer form since 1919, and I really like the watches but I think they are rather a "unknown" brand.

21. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Let me preface everything I am about to say with the statement that, outside of how to read the face, I don't know a damn thing about watches(I haven't worn a wristch watch in 6+ years).

I do have to point out the phrase "the salesman explained...", as it really leaps off the page at me. This could be your best buddy from childhood, but in my experience, a salesman selling high dollar non-essential items is often just a used car salesman with a different product. The statement "the salesman explained" will weaken any argument you ever make for your watch. Just an observation. All that matters is that you like it.

I do own a watch. It just happens to be a Hamilton pocketwatch that is pretty close to 100 years old at this point. Belonged to my great grandfather. It had not worked for ~20 years until I had it repaired(freaking expensive to repair!) about two years ago. You have to wind it every 12 hours or so, and it keeps horrible time, but has a lot more character then anything I could ever buy. I just need to find a longer chain for it(anyone have a suggesstion?)

And before anyone asks, no it was never hidden in Christopher Walkens ass.

-ag

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I have 5 GP watches (2 for me, 3 for my wife). One of mine and all of my wife's were made between 1920 and 1935. They aren't automatics, but manual winds and are durable/reliable to wear every day.

Very understated and we've been happy with all of them.

23. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Just because his watch runs fast does not mean it is a "lemon." Placing it in different resting positions while you're alseep can alter its speed. Also, with minor adjustments, mechanical watches can be tuned for better accuracy (by either the loosening or tightening of certain regulating screws within the movement).

Also, there is no such thing as a mechanical watch which keeps absolute perfect time, as they vary from day to day. Magnetic forces from computer monitors, speakers, etc, can have an influence on this varience. Quartz watches also do not keep 100% perfect time, although they are slightly slow or fast by a constant rate over the life of the device (ignoring external influences such as knocks, strong magnetism, etc).
    E.g. If a quartz watch gained 2 seconds a month, it will be 24 seconds fast after 12 months - this cannot be regulated like a mechanical watch, so in some cases, if properly regulated, a mechanical watch may turn out to be more accurate than a quartz watch after a certain period of time.

For example, if a mechanical watch gained 3 seconds a day, and leaving it crown-up overnight reduced this to +0 seconds a day, after 12 months it will be dead accurate. Or if a mechanical watch ran +10 seconds overall one week, -10 seconds overall the next week, the watch may cancel this time varience out. Again, this can often be influenced with resting positions.

Lastly, watches such as Rolex's and Omegas, many of which are classified as 'chronometers,' and have C.O.S.C. chronometer certifications, are actually certified to be within the range of - 3 and + 6 sec/day in different positions and temperatures (8, 23, 39° C) over a period of 15 days for a large size wristwatch. i.e. not 100% accurate. However this accuracy can change over time as a result of influences such as those I mentioned above.

24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have a Breitling Navitimer, Breitling Premier, AP Royal Oak Offshore, UN 1846, Panerai 104, GP Ferrari and the Panerai defnitely gets the most compliments. Breitlings have become mainstream. The AP only gets compliments by those who know what it is, which is kind of nice.

25. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I have a Breitling crosswind and Breitling Emergency, I would say both Rolex and Breitling are now main stream.Love Breitling though but wont fit the smaller wrist and look right.Loses some time a week.