Wild Chopper Photos | FerrariChat

Wild Chopper Photos

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    These Choppers are amazing works of art. I believe that if Drogo, Pininfarina, & Scaglieti were born in the USA they would be doing these :)

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, Man - that middle one is Mental!

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I am sorry but there is no way you can call these rolling piles works of art. I work around them all day long and even the ones built by some of the top builders in the country are poorly built.

Just my honest opinion.

Rob

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Those are wild to say the least.

5. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    what's up with the YHWH bike? I guess the builder was Jewish??

(BTW, YHWH is the aramaic form of "Yahweh", the jewish word for God)

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Rob-beast,

What about the minimalist approach in the middle one (rather than being *blinglish)? Sure it'd be a bit--, I mean - bother to lean with everything (forks included) so low & the paint is well, there, but does it not have merits where: form and function x space and order = rolling "art" that the WILLIAM H quoted USA-fied "Drogo, Pininfarina, & Scaglieti" might produce?

*blinglish - a word I invented & submitted to pseudodictionary.com

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Why whoud anyone want a bike that looks like that when they can have a bike like a Ducati 996/998? I just don't get it, Bikes are for speed and for apex straifing, those bikes do neigher.

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I love race bikes too. But these choppers are also Way cool. Maybe you can think of it as Jewelry for your crotch :) LOL

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
  10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Mitch Alsup
    Why whoud anyone want a bike that looks like that when they can have a bike like a Ducati 996/998? I just don't get it, Bikes are for speed and for apex straifing, those bikes do neigher.
    -----
    No not really some bikes are for cruising Some are for touring some are for racing some are for off-road each has its place
    =====
    beast
    I am sorry but there is no way you can call these rolling piles works of art. I work around them all day long and even the ones built by some of the top builders in the country are poorly built.

Just my honest opinion.

Rob
    --------

Ok these bikes may not be to your "refined" tastes but they are very impressive from a tech and artistic point, Just look at that beast (#2) hub-less wheels, all that WOW

They are all "Different" interpretations of a theme of 2 wheels and a motor, if you think about it a Ferrari or any other car even Napolis' absolutely stunning P4 is just 4 wheels and a motor. Is it art? To many it is. To some it is just a car. These bikes are the same kind of expression just in different hands. You may not like them but give them credit for what they have done.

think about this the temperamental nature of an exotic sports car (Ferrari) would have some people say "Oh man what a piece of crap You have to spend how much on a service?? after you spent 100k on it Damn that must be a piece of junk"

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Thats what some ferrari tecs say about some ferrari models after working on them day in day out.

12. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I do know one of the most expensive chopper builders is called Jesse James, his grand farther was the bank robber Jesse James.His trade mark is haveing bullits on his choppers.Some cost as much as a new top of the range ferrari.Its amazing what you can learn from the discovery channel.

13. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    aren't the Orange County Choppers customized bikes $150,000 each?

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    the big time themed bikes are like the Snap On bike
    but the lower end ones are like 30
    you can get there on a Harley and still have the same bike as the dentist down the block or go OC or one or the small builders and have something different

15. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Billy Lane from Choppers Inc down in FL builds the best of these types of motorcycles, IMO. I saw him, and several of his machines, at the KC Chopper Show, jaw dropping work!

16. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Holy ****! The one in the middle is so wicked looking. Thats a real piece of art if you ask me.

17. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #17 whart, Apr 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been poking around this world a little bit. Alot of those things are virtually unrideable, but do look cool. The Jesse James and Orange County hype is way out of hand; at the NY Bike show, the latter dudes were actually selling their autographs!
    There is a guy, Chica, i think his name is, that builds these beautiful one-offs, they are reminiscent of, but not in any way copies of, historic bike themes; the details in the design and execution are amazing.

To my taste, alot of the modern choppers are garish, and while they may involve alot of serious metal work and ingenious engineering, the aesthetic leaves me cold. I'm no expert on the history of bike customizing, but apart from the EZ Rider/ late 60's Hell's Angels nasty white trash angle, which alot of the current crop seems to harken back to, there are other, earlier forms of stripped down, customized bikes, circa the immediate post-war era that, to my eye, are cleaner and more classic. I'll try to attach a couple of Chica's bikes here, to give you a sense of what i am talking about:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The second picture - 2004 Daytona Hubless - is actually a concept by Franco Sbarro. At least, the wheel & hubless nature of the beast. Not that efficient at all, but quite a different way of looking at the design of the bike - and that intrigues me.

Not all bikes have to just go go go and be track addicts at all. It's just lke cars, and why there are caddy's and licoln town cars.

19. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Hmm, none of these bikes looks like it could do anything other then go in a straight line, albeit very slowly.

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #20 sherpa23, Apr 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Some of those Amen bikes are very impressive as they're definitely not the typical "chopper" looking bikes (which seem to be all the rage now and are quite bland) and have a very modern look to them. They definitely look like a chiropractors nightmare, though (or dream depending on how you look at it :D). Those two Chica bikes whart posted are very good looking and have that early Harley/Indian appeal to them and are rather understated, but in the best possible way :) And that Ecosse...very very nice cafe racer thing going on. IMO that's what a muscular bike really looks like...just like a pit bull or bulldog's stance although I think the Triumph Speed Triple or Ducati Monster have the look down a bit better and are comparitively cheaper (granted they're both mass produced in comparison though). Keep the pics coming guys!! :)

P.S. Didn't Choppers Inc. also do some hubless rim design as well? I remember seeing something about it a while back, but haven't been able to track down any more info about it.

Edit: Ok, here's the Choppers Inc. Camel Bike (I was thinking it was called something else thus why I couldn't find it. DOH!) http://www.choppersinc.com/projectbikes/assets/images/hublessknuck/done1003.jpg

22. FastTalk

FastTalk Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2002
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Adam Alexander
    My West Coast Chopper :)

23. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Just curious, I know extremely little about bikes, but does anyone or has anyone produced an OEM AWD bike?

-DC

24. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    http://home.mira.net/~iwd/2x2x2/222side_350.jpg Here's a Drysdale 2x2x2 from Australia. From what I understand it's just a prototype thus far, but it's 2wd, 2ws, and of course has 2 wheels. I remember also seeing some kind of 2wd stump thumper in the back of various magazines over the years, but don't remember what it was called. I remember that it had a chain drive going to the front as well as the back, but not sure how it worked.

25. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Does anyone remember this from the movie Akira?

At Tokyo Motorcycle Show in Japan (2/3/4 Apr.), the official licensed model of the motorcycle in the anime movie Akira (poster) is displayed. This Kaneda bike is not a mere replica, but a full working model with twin-steering system and 249-998cc water-cooled 4-cycle engine, and on its cockpit is DVD-navi-system + trackball & ten-key + custom computer-controlled LED meters - all licenced by the author and the publisher of Akira. Though real price or release date is unclear, you can check out the manufacturer's website for more info.

http://www.neo-fukuoka.com/index.html Needs translating.