Should Schu Step Aside for Barrichello | FerrariChat

Should Schu Step Aside for Barrichello

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferrari01974, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari01974

Ferrari01974 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    NRV
    i have a question and i'm interested to see what people think. I think Rubens Barrichello has been one of the best support drivers that i have seen in Formula 1 in a very long time. On a few occassions he has moved aside to let Schumacher win a race in order to full fill the Team's objective and that is to win the Championship (Driver & Construction). But now that Schumacher has won 6 championships, 4 with Ferrari in the last 4 years do you think that perhaps he should in a sense say thank you to Barrichello by trying to help him now win a drivers Championship. Barrichello is a brilliant driver and so much has the ability and deserves to win a title. Schumacher is the ultimate driver who has won everything that could be won and achived everything that he deserved, he has an ability that could not be matched by any current driver and the truth is that these 2 drivers will only be driving together for another couple of years and since Schumacher has won everything plus more, why not be a sport and now help Barrichello. i think that to see Barrichello win a title before this partnership ends would be a good way to end an era.

2. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Rubens is developing every year.The problem for him is so is michael.His fastest lap at bahrain around lap5(i think) made everyone else look foolish.I know rubens can shine-i thought silverstone last year was his best ever and he always seems to perform well at monza.I personally can't see him beating michael in the same car.It must be remembered that he only pulled over for michael when the championship may have depended on his points earned.I read a quote from Ross Brawn that said if Rubens was leading the battle by a narrow margin, michael would have been asked to move over.I believe its down to him and him alone.

3. Ferrari01974

Ferrari01974 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    NRV
    I agree Matt but it also goes beyond your personal abaility. The whole sport is about personal ability and "team" ability. Michael Schumacher is without doubt a brilliant driver but sometimes, and just sometimes his job is made easier because when he is driving out in front, Barrichello is doing a briliiant job to hold off 2nd, 3rd or 4th etc so they can't get passed him to get to schumacher. Nobody can drive and handle their car like Schumacher and he knows his car's ability to its fullest and thats why get gets fastest lap and poles etc but on the team side of things, i think he owes him.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No.

And I think Rubens wouldn't even want that. Hollow title.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    MS should put his 7th behind him and capture the record for poles (the only outstanding F1 record not in his posession) and then step aside. 7 titles will take a very long time befor even being challenged.

6. Ferrari01974

Ferrari01974 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    NRV
    Mitch

I honestly think that after Schumacher captures his 7th Title, we will never see anything like it for a very long time. I'm 29 and if i was to have kids i don't think they will ever see another driver win 7 championships. i thought that at the start of this season it would be a very competitive one and now seeing what we all have see so far, it will a Ferrari season. And now i think there is also a chance there could be an 8th

7. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Schumi will carry on for a few years yet.He is enjoying it more than ever and has "nothing left to prove".Plus look at the competition-Mclaren are having their worse season that i can remember although 95 was bad and williams look like losing Ralf as well as jpm. That to my mind leaves a surprisingly competitive BAR but i think the biggest threat will be Renault/Alonso. To be honest i can't see anyone upsetting the current scuderia for 2 years at least.It proves the importance of stability in f1, but we deserve it after all the barren years and near misses(89,90,97,98,99).

8. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    I agree with that.....

9. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I think whomever faster should be at the finish line. I love them both though

10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Schu stepping aside this year (or any year when Schu was faster) to help RB win the title in would be hollow for RB and in my opinion lessen the credibility of the sport. Rubens is great... if he can beat MS then he should be allowed to. It looks like RB is Schu's only competition this year so I say let those two race.

11. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    In my opinion, a WDC should be earned and not given or awarded. Ruben is a fine driver, and a GP winner, but he is not a WDC winner. Yes, there are some tracks that he is quicker, but on average, Schumacher is simply faster than Ruben. And yes, Schumacher had help from Ruben, but that's what being a team is all about. In the past and present, to win a WDC, a driver needs to have the ability of rallying his team around him when the chips are down, the ability to develop the cars and the understanding of how things works and how to set up a car properly to suit a particular track. Most of all, he needs to know how to win, how to save a car/tyres, when to push, when to back off and most of all, be consistent. There has been and are plenty of drivers that are just amazingly fast, but they are only able to win a couple of races during the season but not WDC. Again, Ruben is a fine driver, but I think he is a little over-rated at the same time. Except for 2003, Ferrari has had probably the best cars within the past 4 years or so. Even if it is true that he was given inferior equipments from Ferrari, he should still be dominanting the rest of the field. RB should not be a consistent 10sec + behind MS laps in and laps out, he should not be in a situation that he is "fighting" for P2. At current point in time, I would dare to say that there are at least another three drivers that are just as good as Ruben if not better (ie KR, JPM, FA, JB & MW). And these other drivers are still learning and will only get better, but I feel that RB is at his peak as is. I am greatful for his service within Ferrari, and being a great teammate to MS, and he has been rewarded well for all his years there just as well. He is well paid, job security has been there, he is given great equipment to compete, and he DRIVES for Ferrari. There are much, much worse situations that a driver can find themself in. If RB really feels that he is WDC caliber driver, he should move on to another team, Williams has two seats for 2005 as of now. Believe me, Ferrari will not have any problem filling in that seat.

12. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Whether it involves Schumey stepping aside for him (or not) though, assuming the Scuderia carries on it's winning ways this season, wouldn't it be really nice for Ruebens to win his home Brazilian Grand Prix ? Especially as he's FTF in the last 10 (or is it 11 ?). Would make a great finale to the season.
    Depends if Michael is going for a clean sweep of all 18 races, I guess. That's just about the only record he hasn't broken yet !
    Hmmm. I wonder what odds I could get on Rubens ?

13. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004

agreed.

14. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    Stirling Moss had the same problem because his team mate was Fangio. We may look back someday and say that Rubins is the best driver that never won a world championship. If Schumacher were not around, he would already have won a world championship.

15. Ferrari01974

Ferrari01974 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    NRV

Yep i agree with that one.

16. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    But then there is also the argument that Ferrari would not have become a World Championship contender without MS...

17. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    we must remember that MS was brought to Ferrari to win championships and RB was brought in to push him. the car is built around MS and it is his team. i think that Rubens has proved to be one of the better drivers in F1 because he can go fast in a car built for someone els and he will have a chance bweause of this, but as long as Michael is driving it will be tough because MS is just better. in basketball terms Patrick Ewing never won a championship because Michael Jordan was playing in his era.

18. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Ruebens is a good driver in a great car. He knows his role as #2 at Ferrari. Shumacher should not move over to help him win the championship. If Ruebens wants to win a WDC, either:
    1) change teams: I hear there are some openings at Williams.
    2) wait for MS to retire.
    3) be faster early in the season than MS, get the points lead, and make it so that MS has to support him.

That said, the whole team tactics thing sucks, I wish there were a rule where points could be taken away from the team when blatant team tactics (like at the USGP a couple of years ago) takes place. Not fines, points.

19. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I just interviewed Phil Hill and I asked him what he thought of MS and Formula 1 these days (remember Phil is a former F1 World Champ Lemans and others)

He said that no one ever thought Fangio's 5 would ever be duplicated. Looking at MS now there is no doubt he is the best driver ever but don't think any of his records are unbeatable. all the things talent, Preparation, Luck, lack of injury, sponsors, team, technology, and competition all have to be on the side of the winner. It is not just about DRIVING and never was.

In many ways it is a team sport where only the guy doing the driving is a household name but the others on the team know they are every bit as much 6 or 7 time champion because they are part of the team.

Sometime, may or may not be soon, someone with all the stars alined will beat his records.

20. Ferrari01974

Ferrari01974 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    NRV

Technology will beat all of MS records, and someone to stear the car.