Relpacement tires for TRX 240/55 VR290? | FerrariChat

Relpacement tires for TRX 240/55 VR290?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Charles, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Charles

Charles Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    I'm looking to replace my TRX 240/55 VR390 tires. Any suggestions for replacements? If necessary, I'll replace wheels too. Any suggestions on wheel and tire packages? I tried tire rack, but they do not carry and had no suggestions. Any suggestions on U.S. equvilents?

2. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    You may want to consider replacing wheels and tires and going to something more standard in size. What kind of car do you have?

3. Charles

Charles Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    1984 Mondial Cabriolet

4. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    Coker tire will be your only source last set i bought for my mondial was $395 each.

5. Charles

Charles Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    It seems like I should replace the 390 with 16" rims. But what about the hole pattern? How do I know which will match?

6. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    328 rims will work and they are the correct bolt pattern. Ferrari UK has them.

7. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Here goes that TRX debate again :)

Some have stated that they had no problem getting TRX at Coker, but I've never found that to be the case for me. Very difficult to get, way overpriced, no selection.

I did change my rims to 16", but mine are the single lug.

As far as I know, all 5 lug Ferrari wheels have the same bolt pattern, which I believe is 108mm.

8. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I found 2 TRX tires front tires for my 1985 Testarossa at Tire Rack for $220 each and rear tires at Coker for $370 each with no problem. Try calling Coker or Tire Rack.

9. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Another option are Sumitomo tires. HTR200 I think is the model. Much more affordable. And before you ask, no, they are not V rated (speed), I think they are T ... 210km/h.

We have a Lambo Urraco P250, and faced that problem. The Sumitomo had good reviews when it came to the tire itself (not some crappy economy tire), and at 50$ per tire, we figured that for the times we'd hit over 200km/h, the price difference was worth it. And we didn't want to change the rims either...

I'll make sure I gave you the right tire brand/model combo tomorrow.

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The problem with TRX tires is that Coker only orders one batch every 6 months or so, and not a large batch at that. So if you catch them with a new batch just delivered, you're in luck. If not, you'll end up waiting a while until the next batch is produced.

I don't know if Avon makes a TRX tire for the Mondial, but the selection is limited to Michelin and maybe Avon, period.

The TRX tires for my 400i were about $250 each 4 years ago.

John

11. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Avon used to make a 390 tyre, but I am noty too sure if they still do, it is not a TRX, that is a Michelin description. I think I have mentioned somewhere Dunlop do a metric but the width is 220 I think (as is the Avon). Someone (Avon or Dunlop and I cannot remember which) do a 230, I think.

12. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just added 360 wheels and tires to my 1986 3.2 Mondial. You can read about it on the following thread.

FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > Modern (355/456/550 & Later) Anyone nearby want a set of 360 rims+rubber?

I posted on May 29, 2004.