tough choices... | FerrariChat

tough choices...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by smg2, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay update on the dilema, i have decided to pass on the 456GT. I have the opertunity to order a 05' E55 AMG at cost. or wait for the Maser. I can't decide, the Mercedes down side is the Auto to me. otherwise excellent car. the upswing to the Maser is the F-1 paddles and the exclusivity.
    ughh anyone here think the E55 is the way to go?

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    While my opinion might not mean much of anything, I've been told by several people that if you've been bitten by the F-bug, *nothing* will cure it other than buying a Ferrari... you can buy something else, but you'll still wish for a Ferrari anyway.

Tough choice, as the E55 is a wild sedan. Do you have something that fits those needs (ie. 4/5 seat daily)? If it were a 2nd car, I'd go with the Ferrari or the Maser. If you know you want/need the occasional blast through the countryside or such spirited driving, the Maser might be the choice between the two (Maser vs MB). I prefer manual cars.

3. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    Do you mean the Maser Quattroporte or 2-door Coupe? I own both an '04 Cambiocorsa Coupe, and an '04 E55 AMG. The Quattroporte is comparable to the E55 because they are both luxury sport sedans. But the E55 lunches the Quattro, and pulls away pretty easily from the Maser coupe.

It comes down to what you want to use the car for, and how you like to drive. I love the F1 shifter and how the Maser handles, but I also love the low-end torgue and sick acceleration of the MB.

Regarding exclusivity: my Maserati always gets attention even though most people don't have a clue as to what it is. No one ever looks twice at the E55. Low profile. But it is blindingly fast. And comfortable. And can take the whole family.

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    coupe cambicorsa vs E55 AMG.
    need 4 seats, twisty high speed runs and 4-5 long trips a year 600miles.
    my preference is a manual and a sporty ride. former car is an 00' M3.i know the MB would be bigger, but i also like not having a car you see a ton of on the road.

5. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Well I would have definitely went with the 456 even though the 612 LandYatti is coming out soon.
    As for the E55, that car is stupidly powerful and torquey, but as Suzy said, no one ever looks twice.
    As for the Maser, theres one that I see routinely and the backseat is more of a jumpseat, so if you have little kids its fine, but if you taking the family to dinner, hop on the bus.
    There both great cars, you really cant go wrong. The choice is yours my friend.

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    here's why the 456 fell out. the usable space in the 456 is less than the Maser, the 456 will be older and require more service for the mileage i drive, i'm not a real big fan of the 2+2 Ferrari's. i thought of getting the E55 only to flip it for profit since i can get it at fleet pricing, but the wait may make that negligable. i'll most likely be buying a 360 or its replacement in the next 3yrs.

when i look at a car i wonder how it'll make me feel when i'm washing it. i know sounds weird but if it doesn't get me excited then i'm not interested. the 456 does excite but the 550 or 360 is more exciting. the Maser attracts me more than the MB. i just know that the MB is wicked fast and bigger to boot.

the cars i want i cant afford, but thats why we want them.

7. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    I use my Maser Coupe almost daily, depending on weather and # of kids to haul. My three big kids (all above 5'6" and 140 lbs) fit in it fine, but they can't take any friends along (I have an Excursion too). A Tubi is a must, as is an '04. Keep in mind this is more expensive than the E55.

For your intended driving, the Mas is perfect. You'd love it. The suspension is fantastic.

8. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Price depends on options. A Cambiocorsa with a few options is about $90-100,000. An E55 with a few options is $80-100,000.

9. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    Both of our cars are loaded. The Mas was still about $10K higher, as you estimated.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would go with the E55. It's a Benz and it will beat pretty much anything on the road. It also has a real back seat and 4 doors. Very practical, and can be parked anywere without worrying to much about it. You really can't go wrong. Benz has been having quality problems these last couple of years though but still probbably less the Ferrari or Maserati.

11. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Even though the Benz is better on paper – better bhp, power/weight ratio, 4 doors, etc, the Maser wins on sheer driving and ownership pleasure…it is in a different league from the Benz.

You will enjoy the Maser in so many ways…

You will definitely want to wash the Maser with your own hands…just to run your hands over the body. If you got the Benz, you will probably take it to the car wash

And the sound of the Maser’s engine on full throttle … goes from an ungodly moan at 1500 rpm to a manic howl at 7000 rpm. And the instant throttle response is another pleasure.

And don’t forget the racy sounds as the Cambiocorsa gearbox blips the throttle to execute perfect double-clutched downshifts.

The Maser is also far more exclusive – the Benz E55 on the other hand looks almost identical to the 1000s of E-class Benzs grazing the highways.

If you have to be able to carry 4 adults frequently, for long trips, and really do not want the extra attention that the Maser gets, then get the Benz.

If sheer driving and ownership pleasure is important, the Maser is your car. The Benz is not even close!

Drive both cars and you will see

- Jon

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Jon,
    I agree 100% here. see every saturday is my wash/wax & detail day, i have a perverse pleasure in doing this or so my wife thinks. but in any case you're right the Benz would bore me after awhile, my wife already owns one and i have no desire to drive it let alone wash it.

so it's the Maser, now i'm debating ordering a Gran Sport or picking up a pre-owned 03'/04'. not too comfortable not knowing the price on the Gran Sport, not feeling frisky enough to risk it. i have time though so we'll see.

i don't have a real big need to carry 4 adults, just me the wife and little one every so often. i have other big cars, the SUV is usually is what we take with big groups. need to finish the chassis on the dragster before i purchase another car or i'll lose focus.

13. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    If you get a Spyder, be sure to get a 2003 or newer, the chassis rigidity, and therefore handling is better.

If you are getting a Coupe, even 2002 is good, as majority of the technical changes since 02 are available as updates from the dealer (e.g. gearbox software, clutch, fuel lines, etc).

If you get a new car, you will get the added pleasure of customizing the car exactly to your liking – dashboard color, leather color, headliner, trim color, etc. There is something to be said in having them build the car to your taste.

Start the process now – it may take some time regardless of whether you get a new or used one.

Post here when you get the car!