The Paradox of our Time | FerrariChat

The Paradox of our Time

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    T he paradox of our time is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living but not a life. We've added years to our life but not life to our years. We've been to the moon and back but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.

We conquered outer space but not inner space. We done larger things but not better things. We've cleaned up the air but polluted our souls. We've conquered the atom but not our predjudice. We write more but learn less. We plan more but accomplish less. We've learned to rush but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits but shallow relationships. The are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are the days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom.

Spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember to give a warm hug to the one next to you because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember to say "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones but most of all, mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside you. Remember to holds hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again. Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

Just some thoughts..........Happy Easter everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Sounds like the very definition of materialism. BTW the cure is finding Zen in enough is enough.

3. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Didn't George Carlin write that?

4. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    He probably did. I borrowed it from someone else because it seems appropriate for the times.

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I loved it when I first saw it. And I love it each time I read it. Thanks for posting.

6. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Aw you made me cry.

7. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Whos to say time even flows in the direction we think of as forward?

8. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    thanks for posting that. that made my morning.

9. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I wish I could claim it way mine but I will definitely keep a copy for myself to review periodically. I need to remember what the important things really are.

What is urgent and what is important. They are two different things.

10. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Ahhhrgh!!! More of your existentialist Western Bull*shi*t. I still can't believe we hadn't crushed all you weenies with our tank armies.
    In short, no, before it was even worse. Life before was simply so awfull, nobody had the time or energie to think of this crap. People nowdays actually have too much time on their hands to ponder useless crap like that.
    I have a suggestion, spend a few weeks in Club Piongiang or Cuba (living with/like the average families, not spending your $$$) it should set your life's priorities straight again.

11. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    It has been passed around the web for a while. A lot of sites say Carlin wrote it, his site says he did not.

12. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    What the hell?

13. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Damn....Lighten up, Francis.

14. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California

Ditto. I don't agree with any of it except for the last two paragraphs, but you don't see me going postal. If the man wants to write, let him write...

-DC

15. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Hey! Lighten up, I was only being sarcastic.

16. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    P.S. Somebody needs to ditch the Nietzche and go get some beer and boobies. You'll see everything will be better.