Da Blues for Easter | FerrariChat

Da Blues for Easter

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Texas Forever, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #1 Texas Forever, Apr 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had the blues for Easter.

Yesterday, I was all set to go see Napolis’s cars and meet of great group of fellow car nuts. I had my ticket. I had my bag packed. I was ready to catch that Northbound plane. But then something came up, and I had to zig instead of zagging.

Yeah, I had the blues...bad. But early this morning, Luigi “The Devil in the Blue Dress” Ballatori calls me up and says, “Hey Dale, let’s go for a run.” (Imagine an Italian accent with a Texas twang.) So even though it was still dark (and I had had a late night), I got the Shark out and headed down the highway. I only had to turn around twice. Once because I forget the V1. The second time because I forgot my phone. (Fortunately, my neighbors are used to my routine.)

With each mile, and each sip of coffee, the blues start lifting. I know that many of you bad mouth the Maranello as a boring “Old Guy” car. A car for the Viagria set. Maybe so, but I wonder how many of you have ever driven this car? That right pedal is a bottomless pit. One of these days, I’m gonna find that dark desert highway, and I’m going to start in first and never lift until I’m flat out in 6th gear. I gotta tell ya. This car is good for whatever ails you.

At first, I tell myself that I’m just cruising. I learned the hard way a long time ago, when I used to ride motorcycles, that you can’t let your mental state affect your driving. Nice and easy, maybe a little romp and stomp. It’s so easy in the Shark.

We eventually get to our secret Racer Road (actually not so secret now that even the Bubbas have cell phones). When you drive on public roads, you carry with you a certain responsibility. Roughly 6/10s is all that you should do. When you crest a hill, you need to have your foot over the brake. When you roll though a blind curve, you need to expect the worst on the other side. But the Shark is like the Great Northern out of Cheyenne headed for the coast. Watch out Momma, cause this train is bound for glory. Life is good and getting better.

Then Luigi says, “Come on man, let’s go up to Texas World Speedway.” I say, “Luigi, I got things going on, things I gotta do. Man, I’m a responsible adult.” “Come on, Dale. It’s just a little ways up the road...”

Sure enuf, the Devil made me do it. Luigi and I end up at TWS shooting the bull with the manager, who later says, “Hey, Risi’s Team is practicing today. Wanna go see? So we end up watching real GT cars scream around the track. Racing sure has gotten sophisticated. These guys would do three laps and pit. The Techs would pull the tires and fiddle with the internals. Three more laps and fiddle. And on and on and on. None of this spit and duct tape stuff like Napolis’s race cars.

And the sound! The F1 cars are like a dentist’s drill on steroids. The 360 GT cars have a raspy sound that is like ripping fabric. Luigi shot the sound with his cell phone. Maybe he can post a sound track later.

Later, as I’m loafing back to reality, I strikes me about what a unique place Houston is for Ferraris. You expect a lot of exotic cars in Orange County, South Beach, and Danbury, CT. But, Houston, Texas? Who would have ever expected a Ferrari and a Lambo to take an ad hoc cruise through the country and end up watching a real Ferrari race team go through their paces? No place but Texas, huh?

Actually, I’d like to thank Mr. Risi for making all this possible. I don’t have a clue what possessed him, many, many, years ago, to ask the old man for permission to open up a dealership in Texas. Whatever the reason, I’m glad he did. It is really amazing how many die-hard Ferraristis we have in Texas, despite all the Bubbas and their pickemup trucks. No doubt that there are many other people who should be mentioned for their contributions. But, again, to Mr. Risi, I'd like to say, “This one is for you.”

Yeah, like most families, we occasionally fight. But, Texas really does have a hard core group of car guys. Underneath all the hype (and the occasional gold chain and titty dancer), there lies a vein of passion for great cars. So to all of you, and you know who you are, this toast is also for you.

May you have a good Easter or Passover or whatever floats your boat.

Here are the pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Dale,

Pity you didn't get to go! Sounds like you're making up for it in your usual manner, though!

BTW, this is right up your alley: I found a Santana's Greatest Hits CD that's as old as I am. Cruising 280 in the shark, windows down, "oyo como va?" - does it get better? :D

--Dan

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    LOL! Nope, except that I'm older than the record, uh, I mean the CD...

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Age is a state of mind...

--Dan

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Dale thank you for that. The poetic writing style almost makes me feel as though I was there. Glad you guys had fun. You always give me hope (if I go to UT Austin Law) that Texas is not such a bad place.

Thanks for the words Dr. Tax, allows some of us to live vicariously through some of you gentlemen.

:)

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Dan, come on, the music was barely loud enough to hear. The engine's soundtrack was plenty!

Also, I didn't tell Dan in case he got a big head, but he blips the downshifts perfectly. And the surge of acceleration in second was pretty amazing. We never did get to use 3rd, 4th, etc. to their full potential. :)

Any of you 550 owners interested in a carbon fibre or brushed aluminium cover for the rectangular storage space in the center dash, to the right of the gear lever? Is the 575 console the same? Seems like it would be deed easy to make, and it would accent the interior beautifully. Any accessory place offer such a thing?

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Dale - you will be missed.

I have to get to bed. Big day tomorrow - thanks for setting it up.

Zach

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Dale, your one of the greatest folks I know. Don't change.

Happy Easter.
    :D

9. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Dale,

Should have gone back to the house one more time... for a bottle of Macallen 25. Then it would have been perfect...

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    LOL, no that stays at the house...

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    DRTAX, i read this right before i went to sleep last night, been thinking about it all day. seems you have captured a great part of what ferrari and lamborghini mean to so many people. its the emotional connection to something, which words fail to decribe.
    you had a bad day, but the drive made you feel better and gave you the opportunity to see the race cars. driving with the lambo on the highway must have been a real blast. thanks for sharing this with us!!!

12. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

What's a CD?

Oh, that higher interest thing at the bank...

Dale, what am I to do with you? You are one eclectic guy, a real Renaissance man..

- Oh, wait a minute, I mean "a real cool dude" .. Or is that "Phat" now? Or, wait again, it's now "tight" right??

>I learned the hard way a long time ago, when I used to ride motorcycles, that you can’t let your mental state affect your driving. Nice and easy, maybe a little romp and stomp.

You just have to clarify that statement!
    Perhaps we need to compare scars?

Ahhh, riding a motorcycle on the edge. - Hunter S. Thompson

And I'm sure that you remember him...

"Old men wake up and scratch itchy legs that turned to dust long ago" -WS

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Thanks, Doc - for perfectly illustrating what Cavemen had in mind when they came up with reading, writing, drawing pictures on cave walls, wearing hide...

"This is the one that got away, but I got this one!"

14. woodlands_vt

woodlands_vt Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    The Woodlands, TX
    Dale:

the drive and TWS was a blast, as usual. Below is the link to the small movie clip of the Ferrari Challenge taking off... (sorry about the low resolution...). If this link does not work, try http://www.lamborghiniclubtexas.com/Movies/

http://www.lamborghiniclubtexas.com/Movies/default.asp?precommand=Download&folder=&file=ferrari%5Fchallenge%5FTWS%5Ftest%2Emov

Ralph came over after I got home yesterday. Looks like he's ready to trade his C/T for the Diablo "I wanted"... :)

15. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Woodlands VT...My wife and I passed by your house out walking friday evening. I wasn't expecting to stumble upon 2 Lambo's, that's for sure!

16. woodlands_vt

woodlands_vt Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    The Woodlands, TX
    Rexcoltrain:
    stop by anytime and say hello, neighbor!

17. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Woodlands VT,

How far are you from Houston? I will be there for a week end of May, and I was curious if it was not too far and if you would be so kind, I could catch a glimpse of the Diablo close up :eek:

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All, thanks for the kind words. I sometimes suffer from "writing out loud." It's cheaper than a shrink. I just hope that you don't find these ramblings too boring.

Thx, Dale

19. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Dale,
    As always great write up on your experience. I feel lucky to be one of the people here that have taken a cruise in the Shark. It definitly is a caged beast underneath. That looks to be the same 360 GT they had in New Orleans last year. Do you happen to know if they will be getting the new 360 GTC that just came out? I'm sure they will return for the event this year. It seems that you ended up having a pretty good day after all. Congrats and keep the pedal to the floor.