F-50 vs. Murcielago | FerrariChat

F-50 vs. Murcielago

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by racerdj, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    With an open mind, I drove to Chicago today and spent 30-40 minutes driving in each of the Gallardo E-gear and Murcielago 6 speed. The Gallardo was fun to drive but I really missed the 6 speed. After driving the Murcielago, I feel that I have now driven something as close to an F-50 as I will ever drive. I was blown away with the car. I now understand why it is 100k more than the Gallardo. After again driving the 6 speed, it reaffirms that when a car company discontinues the stick is the same time I discontinue purchasing cars from them. Are the F-50 vs. Murcielago performance numbers similar? Could someone please post both if handy. Did I mention the meaning of "torque" has been redefined today.

2. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Shouldn't that be 2x Murcielago Vs. F50 or Murcielago plus change to buy something silly Vs. F50 :)

3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    0-60 0-100 1/4 mile speed

F-50 3.6 8.0 12.1 124.5
    Murcielago 3.6 8.7 12.0 121.0

Top Speed Braking 60 mph, 80 mph Skidpad Slalom mph
    F-50 136 213 65.7
    Murcielago 205 122 213 0.9g 65.7

4. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow, i thought that an F50 would demolish a Murcielago, guess not according to those figures, i have seen 0-60 times at 3.8 rather then 3.6 however for the Murcielago.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Not really... because the real cost is depreciation. I'd wager, despite the higher price, that the F50 will not depreciate any more than the Murci-lardo... and maybe quite a bit less.

6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the f50 is a true collectors car... it could very well continue to increase in value long term... the murci will decrease.....these are apples and oranges as are the driving experiences...i have driving a muci.. a large car with a lot of power and torque..0-60 is high 3s...the f50 is f1 inspired...high reving, race car type reflexes.....two very different cars!!!!!plus one a rare ferrari and the other is regular lambo..our local dealership has 2 new ones in the show room that they cant sell....

7. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian

F50 is a supercar that was produced for the reason of high collectibility...The murcielago is not! The Murcielago is a "normal" exotic production car. The F50 and Enzo etc to me can be considered as promotional tools to invoke interest in Ferrari. They are not true production cars like the murcielago.

-jt

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    f50 is similar to a 355 feel, on steriods kinda like how the F40 is like a 328 feel on steriods.

Murci is much different, with its weight and all.

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    But most reviewers have said that the Murci feels surprisingly nimble, like they really have taken a supercar and merged it with a sports car. I don't know, I haven't driven one. Have you? Did it feel heavy?

10. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    has anybody actually driven both and could give an accurate account?

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #11 wax, Apr 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since text formatting doesn't allow tabs, I made a .jpg from info presented by racerdj to make the R & T specs a little more legible.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Great comparison would be a Murcielago Spyder vs F50 :)

I think I would have to stay with both :)

13. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Hello Wuilliam,
    I had the pleasure to have driven both on the track. That doesn't make me an expert but let me share my impressions.
    The F50 was just a perfect car handling like a true sport car. I found the car big but never the weight was a problem to handle. The row power made it ( with the sound) like a race car but also very civilized on the street. The value will for sure be up there in many years.
    The Murci was a wild car on the track, mainly till the oil warmed up to correct any drifts that the all wheel drive had to control. The power was very similar to the F50 but my concern will be on the reliability side. The car is way better than any Diablo, a totaly new machine and you can feel the "audi" influence in the ergonomics.
    Looks was right up there with the F50 but you will be just a notch below the
    magic of the F car...If long term investement is in view, F50 is a winner there.
    Roland
    F40LM

14. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Speeds are all most the same, how much more HP did Murci have to pile on to make up for the weight? Does anyone have the weights for each car?

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    But if driving the car is your goal, Lambo is the winner?

What happens to a F40, F50, Enzo with 90,000 miles? Do you have to keep these collector cars under 20k miles for them to hold their inverstment status?

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    As Jim G has said,"owners of 250 GTOs couldn't care less how many miles were on the car."

I'm in the market for an F40 & I want 1 thats had some track miles but cared for well. No garage queens for me, thank you

17. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Miles are irrelevant...I have a friend with F50 with 50K miles and no drop in value...That car run like new if not better !!!! F motorn are very reliable if you DRIVE them...Stay a good 1000 rpm below the red line and you'll keep them for many miles . Wear comes from reving it to high in all gear..Mechanical compasion !!! oil temp is a critical factor on all F motor...don't rev them till 180 degres and change that oil....
    Roland
    F40LM

18. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Roland, are you saying keep the car 1k under red line UNTIL oil temps reach 180, or keep the cars 1k under red line all the time?

19. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Thanks WAX for your help.

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Roland, I'm wondering the same thing about what you wrote.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Any time is the right time.

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I think he's sayign keep it 1k below redline.

--Dan

23. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland

Even though everything he says here is most likely true, he must've been really drunk when he wrote this.. :)

24. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    It's not fair to compare cars from different generations. I don't .

25. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Not fair? If you are comparing car marques based on cars from different generations, sure... it would be silly to say F is better than L because F50 is better than Murci.

But if you're thinking about buying either an F50 or a Murci, then its absolutely fair to compare them. Which is more appealing to you right now? To me, the F50 is way more appealing... even at its old age, it still outperforms the Murci... is waayyyy better looking... and has a good shot at appreciating rather than the depreciation you're sure to get from the Murci.

What are you supposed to do if not compare two cars? Flip a coin?