Should I put on the Challenge Grill? | FerrariChat

Should I put on the Challenge Grill?

Discussion in '360/430' started by mustgofaster, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should I add the Rear Challenge Grill?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Could go either way

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mustgofaster

mustgofaster Karting

Mar 27, 2004
    West Lakeland, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I will be taking delivery of this car sometime this week. I really wanted the rear challenge grill (it does have front) but looking at the picture it looks real nice w/o it? Any idea how much it will cost to add that?

Thanks All! This will be my first Ferrari......

Keep On Truckin!

2. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Which car?

3. mustgofaster

mustgofaster Karting

Mar 27, 2004
    West Lakeland, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    OOps my attachment was too big 2004 360 F1 Spider Red/Natural

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    yes, first of all it looks nice onthe spiders360s,esp red and silver, and second , it does help keep the engine cooler significantly..i think they can be bought after market for 600-800 dollars and are easy to put on...enjoy... love the car...please post pics when you get it!!!!

5. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    yes let the heat out, if you like have it painted to match your color, but it will have to be lighter as you have dark holes in the grille.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    YES!!!!!

(PS: just don't get a piece of tan leather put on there like that sickly yellow Barchetta, who's pic goes around)

7. I see you purchased your machine at Gold Coast Bentley on N.Rush in Chicago. Very fine dealer how did your purchase go. ?

8. mustgofaster

mustgofaster Karting

Mar 27, 2004
    West Lakeland, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I take delivery hopefully Wednesday. I will reserve comments until that point.

9. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    The grill works and looks good as well. Have someone else put one on for you as I understand that they are rather awkward and flimsy.

10. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    hell YES, without a doubt!! go for it!! congrats on the new ride!

11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    YES! On the old Ferrarichat, someone had measured engine compartment temps on a coupe, and it made a significant difference. Even more important on your car. Mine is painted to match--which I think looks better on the darker cars--I saw one in on a red spyder, and it (to my eyes) didn't look so good.

Longer belt, hose, lubricant, etc. life. Plus a few 360's have blistered paint over the right rear quater panel (where the oil coolers are)--the heat is not your friend.

12. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Mustgofaster, with all the Yeses, I guess I will be the one to give a different opinion :)

I got my new 360 back in January. I have been thinking about adding a Rear Challenge Grills and here are the Pros & Cons I figured:

PROS:

- Rear Challenge Grill let the heat out so the engine would run cooler.
    - Rear Challenge Grill would give the car more of a "Super Car" look because people get to see the exhaust and some parts of the engine from the back of the car through the holes on the grill.

CONS:

-I just happened to think a Red 360 with red rear grill looks better.

FYI, I have installed a Capristo Exhaust earlier then changed to Tubi, one very important reason for the exhaust swap is because Capristo runs much hotter and I decided not to add the rear challenge.

However, I do admit adding the rear challenge grill do make the car looks more "Exotic". And hey, it's not something just for the look; it helps the performance as well.

I just didn’t do it. So, the choice is yours.

Here is a picture of my car:

13. I think the challange looks great on red because it gives the rear contrast it looks great on any color. Keeps the heat out gives the exotic look and is great for all colors.

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I personally think that a Challenge Grill only looks good on a Black car. However, performance wise it is better. My 2 cents.

15. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Also if my 360 is Silver or Black, I will definitely get the rear challenge grill :)

The opinion I posted is of course IMHO, to each his own.

One More Pic of my buddy's 360 (Yellow w/ Rear Challenge) Vs. my 360 (Red w/o Rear Challenge).

Hope this helps!

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Do it!!

DL

17. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Do it!!!!!!

I had it on my old F355 and my brother also had it on his 360...it does help cooling down the engine bay temp....that alone will make it worth the money.

18. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Dangg.... you people are changing my mind... LOL :D

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Good, good, good...we're here to help! :)

Don't pay over $800.00 for it.

DL

20. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Get the challenge grill and leave it black, it'll look sweet. Your car already looks awesome, good luck with it! Is it a 6 speed or F1? What exhuast will you run on it?

21. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #21 tonyh, Apr 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Some archive links & quotes:
    Ernesto Sgroi (T88power) Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 8:29 am: My 360 came without a challenge grill. I later added one because the heat back there was ubelievable - to the point there all the rear panels and hatch were extrememly hot after long drives. With the grill came a noticeable decrease is engine compartment heat (eg you could not touch the panels because they were warm but not hot) and the temp. gauge is at least 1/8 inch lower. I can definitely state that is makes a difference.

A couple of posts emphasizing same as above and other reasons
    It gets better
    More
    Testify!

You'll see the words "temperature, bubbles, heat, comfort, pedals, 10 degrees, much cooler" scattered here and there on each thread.

FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen such a lopsided poll on F-Chat.

23. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    still stick with the red panel

:)

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #24 tonyh, Apr 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Storm-Rider

Storm-Rider Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Definitely add it on a Spider. It goes nicely with black hoop bars and I think it balances the car better. I think on a Modena the regular grille seems to be a better fit than on a Spider. Anyway, if you're ever going to want to change your exhaust system, you're going to be running higher temperatures back there and that doesn't help. Yes, Ferrari also knows this and I'm sure the regular grille would be OK in this respect.

Maybe you can order a painted Challenge grille? Has this ever been done, or must it be ordered along with the car? It looks GREAT painted yellow, blue, and i'm sure whatever other colors are out there.