Can the bolt pattern on a Ferrari be changed? | FerrariChat

Can the bolt pattern on a Ferrari be changed?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F1Ace, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I am frustrated with the lack of choice of aftermarket wheels for the Ferrari bolt pattern. Unless I've been misinformed, special order wheels with this bolt pattern are all but unavailable, so is it possible to change the bolt pattern on the car? This would open up a whole new world!

Thanks!
    Wes

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I think the only practical way is if you have a chassis with not much "+" (or some "-") wheel offset and you use an aftermarket wheel with a lot of "+" offset -- this allows you to have an "adapter" (with the two different bolt patterns) between the aftermarket wheel and the stock hub -- check with Paul Hill at Hill Engineering (he's a Sponsor).

PS -- what chassis/engine is your 250GTO replica built on?

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Wes, there are a bunch of wheels available in the Ferrari bolt pattern.
    But each model usually has a different wheel offset.
    Which Ferrari were you trying to get wheels for?

4. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    To the first question: My 250 GTO replica is based on a 280Z. But that's not the car I'm trying t buy wheels for.

To the second question: The application car is an 87 328. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did see some wheels discussed on this site but they didn't do much for me (stock look-a-like, and one other). I like some of the Konig and Montegi ones out there, but none are listed as working with Ferrari's.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm definately gonna consider the Hill spacers too, cause then I could just adjust the wheel offset accordingly, right?

Thanks!
    Wes

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Sure, just have a machinest turn out a new stubaxle with the bolt pattern you want. Shouldn't cost more than $1000 pr corner before you buy the new wheels. Be sure to choose a popular bolt pattern, and be sure to specify the resulting wheel offset to maximize you wheel choice. Use forged billets of 5140 or 4340 steel.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    "...then I could just adjust the wheel offset accordingly, right?" -- correct

The good news is that your non-abs 328 chassis does have a fairly low positive wheel offset (maybe something like +11mm) so if your modern replacement wheel set is ~+50~+60 mm offset that should leave enough room for the fasteners to hold the adapter to the stock hub and for the hardware holding the wheel to the adapter (if you need to go that way).

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    There are 2 easy ways. The first and strongest is to just drill and tap a second bolt pattern in the rotors/stub axles. The second and almost as good is adapters. There are about a million wheels with a 5x114 bolt pattern and 45mm offset because that is supra/rx7 and many more (tire rack stock many if you look up one of these cars). So your 11mm plus a 34mm adapter makes them a perfect fit. I went this way on my first set of wheels, but used a 25mm adapter and went 1" wider on the wheels front and rear. Make sure you get hub-centric adapters, they are stronger and keep every lined up better.

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Check out this one suitable for 308's and 328's:
    http://www.ronalusa.com/cars/ferrari-308gts.html
    and see what you think...

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    any custom wheel mfg can make a wheel to fit any car.
    HRE -custom ordered for your needs $$$
    RdSport -custom also $$$$

they usually stock the most comment bolt pattern, but will allways have blanks for custom applications. 1 & 3 peice wheels, the latter being more flexable in offset. the 1 peice depends on how much raw pad is there to start with. other concerns are the clearences for your calipers and proper cooling.

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #10 Auraraptor, Apr 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.groupawheels.com/prod01.htm

Cheap as ****. Our bolt pattern is a 5x108. Email them for info on the style you like, chances are even if they dont list it they have it. I like the Adrenaline line. I also like the Modena line, but they are more expensive.

Also, try tirerack with on a 97 ford tunderbird. They also have the same bolt pattern.

Personally, I like 360 rims and 512M rims.

The front wheels off of a 550 or 512TR fit our 328s too.

PS if you are the pre ABS wheel, you will need spacers, contact Hill engineering, tell him Omar said that he (Paul) will know best, and give him the offset data off the wheel that you are interested in is, and he can set you up with the ness. spacers/hub rings.

PS2 on the roland wheels:
    Here is what they wrote me:
    ]From: JEFFREY CURRAN
    Subject: Re: ADRENALIN wheel question

We offer the ROH Adrenalin in a 18x8 5x108 bolt pattern +48mm offset in the Black Ice finish (a chromium based paint over gloss black undercoat resulting in a illuminating brilliance with a shadowed accent), priced at $194.40 ea.

They said it was like $840 shipped to my home.

Here is the wheel:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I find that the real difficulty with off-the-shelf 1-piece designs is that they don't usually come in multiple widths for a single bolt-pattern, and most Ferraris are set up to use wider rears than fronts. I'd like to go 9" rear and 8" fronts on my 308QV. Gruppa's DRIFT-R might work, and they offer some of their other models in multiple widths, which you rarely find at Tire Rack. Of course, you can go the same width all the way around... but for a perfect/custom offset, their Modena wheels might be just the ticket.

12. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    your best bet is custom wheels. spacers are great to put on the rims you like but are not a good thing for cars that go fast. you must babysit these things and retourque them numerous times to be assured they are sufficiently tight.

13. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Thanks for the tips guys! Now there's some good advice! 97 Thunderbird, who'd have thought it! I'm looking into that. Also the Supra/RX7 styles.

I am also narrowing down which wheels I like and writing directly to the Manufacturer to see if they'll do them for this bolt pattern.

Thanks also for the advice about Hill Eng Spacers, I have a letter in to them as well.

I agree that a big problem is also they only seem to make one width in many styles, so I'm gonna have to work around that. Don't suppose I should try and wedge a 255 onto the rear if the wheel's the same width as the front. (Though it wouldn't be beneath me)

That Ronal style I think was the one I saw before and didn't like, though I probably shouldn't be to rough on it, it does look good at some angles. I would prefer 16 or at the most 17" wheels. I feel that too big doesn't look right.

I think a lot of guys probably get worn down by this process and just get "what's available", but that's never been my style.

Well I've got some homework to do on this. Thanks again! I'll let you know what the right wheels are. (hehe)

Wes

14. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Auraraptor:

Thanks for the web site. So, are all of these wheels for our bolt pattern?

I've gotta admit I like the ROH RT wheel in Black Ice. I'm gonna look into those. Guess I'd have to get the 17x8 and 17x9's, right? No special instructions? Just order those?

Thanks!
    Wes

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well it depends, why do you want 17s? A 225/40-18 front and 255/35 rear works for 18s. Incidently the 225 tire is the same as used on many porsche applications.

Again, you have to email them and ask the offset.

I think you have a pre ABS wheel 328, so your oem offset will be +11. If the wheels are around +40ish then you need spacers to make up the difference. (not too much of a hassle)

As for which bolts you will need to be optimum, the only real way is to measure how deep the hole is for the bolt. I am guessing the bolt hole is not the same, but deeper or shallower, so custom bolts might be needed.

Tires, offsets, bolts, all have to be taken into consideration when buying wheels.

16. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Well like I mentioned in my other post, it's a personal preference. I just think 18" is too big. It just seems (to me) to take over the design. I don't wanna lose all my ride quality either.

Thanks for your other tips. It seems to me if I get a 7.5" wide wheel it should accept both 225 and 255 on them wouldn't you say? Might even look more beefy in the back.

Wes

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Depends on the tire, tirerack has a list of sizes and such that their tires will fit, you should check it out. I think it should, but you are close to the limit in terms of width. If you do go this route, POST PICS!! :)