Paint pen color match | FerrariChat

Paint pen color match

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve King, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I just looked at the "paintscratch.com " web site to see if I can get a paint pen for my 77 GTB it it came up with 2 red colors. Considering I do not have the paint code I would need to make a choice. I always assumed that there was 1 color red on 1977 but I guess not. Does anyone have a paint code for the 77's. Here is the info I found. Never heard of Rosso Fuoco?

Color Color Description Color Code
    Rosso Chiaro (Red) 20.3.90
    Rosso Fuoco 308

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Rosso Fuoco mentioned on old site Translation is "Fire Red."

If all else fails, head over to the Texas Section and ask if any of the guys are in touch with George LaFleur (308geo) - he may be able to give you the info. I have no idea what his username is since Nov. 1 - when the software changed, though he did post his (perhaps old, perhaps not) email address.

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Steve, your paint code is under the rear bonnet.
    My 77 was painted Rosso Chiaro
    But the paint code you listed looks like the same wrong number that was passed on from that old Bluemel book, that someone forwarded to paintscratch.com...

As far as this paintscratch.com crap don't do it!
    They mix from paint codes, not what color you car is after 27 years of fading.
    I have seen a couple of these cars that the owners thought looked great after using this product, which I could see a difference in color right away.
    After looking at the cars under florescent light, their reply was,
    Damn, how could I not notice that.

Go to your local pro paint shop, and have them do a multi-angle reading from your car, and they can computer match the color that is on your car today exactly.
    Then have them mix as much as you need, a little for touch up, or maybe a little more to re-paint the front spoiler.

Good Luck!

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Dave I have the label but there is nothing on it. Seems it wore away through the years. I guess I'll go to a good paint shop and have them do a laser color match .

5. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  6. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD