a few history questions... | FerrariChat

a few history questions...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by urraco, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    first of all don't reply telling me to buy a book ( in my country are unavailable) 1.about Le mans: at what years did the GTO, LM &P4 compete respectively? which of then had the best performance results wise ? 2: When and why did ferrari stop of racing Lemans? what is the history of Pedro Rodriguez & his brother Ricardo's Death? what car was he driving at what track, what year ? what can you tellme about Ferrari at La Carrera Panamericana ?, etc. all replies and pics will be really appreciated and welcome thanks in advance. anyone has pics P.Rodriguez related?

2. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    I don´t know all the answers to your questions, but I will give it a try:

Le Mans
    GTO´s competed from 1962-1964 (and most likely even later). Best result for a GTO at Le Mans was the 2nd place of GTO 3705 in 1963 between to 250 P factory cars. The GTO won the GT-class.
    250 LMs were at Le Mans from 1964 untill 1968 (Mr Piper), and, as we all know the LM scored Ferraris last Le Mans win untill this day in 1965 (driven by the NART team).
    330 P4 raced at Le Mans in 1967. They finished 2nd and 3rd, and in doing so they claimed the constructors title for Ferrari.

Ferrari did not compete in Le Mans in 1968 because of a change in regulations (cars with 4.0 litre displacement were no longer allowed) and in 1972 because Ferrari did not want to race the 312 PB there. Finally, Ferrari quit sportscarracing alltogether after 1973 because of financial issues and the desire to concentrate on Formula One.

About the Rodriguez brothers: I don´t know much about them, except that both of the them were killed during a race. I believe it was Ricardo who got killed driving the Herbert Müller Ferrari 512M at the Norisring in 1971 (?).

Carrera Panamericana: road race in Mexico in the early fifities. Ferrari entered two 212´s in 1951 which won the race. In 1952 Ferrari built the 4 specially prepared 340 Mexico racers but none of them would finish te race.

I´m sure other Ferrari chatters have more detailed info on those subjects!

Grtz

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Excellent in-depth article on excellent site
    http://8w.forix.com/rodriguez-brothers.html