Workshop/Parts Manuals CD "Sharing" ??? | FerrariChat

Workshop/Parts Manuals CD "Sharing" ???

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Everyone knows (or everyone SHOULD know) that all Owners Manuals (also known as Technical Manuals) for all model year Ferraris are freely downloadable from owners.ferrari.com. I chuckle when I see people trying to sell CDs with these free manuals on ebay.

However, the Workshop and Parts manual CDs are NOT freely downloadable (I really wish they were), and I doubt that the ones being sold on ebay are authorized. Heck - the print ones (unless originals) are not "authorized," either. And the CDs on ebay are not cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2471716394&category=6762&sspagename=WDVW

So, what would others in this forum think about hypothetically sharing such CDs, and oh, let's say, having the PDFs in a central download site?

If anything thinks this is an interesting idea, and might have some "input" as to how to make this idea work, please PM me. :)

2. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I have a disc with f40 f50 308 328 and 348 shop manuals on it. I also have an owners manual and a shop manual for my F40. From the best I can tell, the shop manual is not much more than a glorified owners manual. Most sections are word for word shop manual to owners manual.

Rick

3. motoxxx63

motoxxx63 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    I was thinking about buying one too. I see them listed now for $250. Maybe we can get it and split the cost? I wouldnt even mind putting them up for others on this site. Email me at [email protected] if you got any ideas

4. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Not knowing any better, I bought the "shop manual" cd on ebay while massivly lusting for a 308, also compiled about a 12 inch stack of techincal chat stuff - so I fried a few ink jet cartridges and was somewhat underwhelmed by the depth of deail.
    Do chilton, clymer, hanes or howdy doody publish anything worthwhile for us guys that just have to touch the car???
    If it is mucho bucks, sign me up for a slice, I'd like a copy.

chris

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Steve -

I suggested this idea to Rob as part of the "Rossa" subscribed benefits. I'm not sure about the copyrights on many of these materials -- but in theory, they're out of print anyway. The last thing we want is for Rob to get into trouble with FNA or SpA. It'd take a lot of storage space part -- my WSM is about 200meg.

-Daniel

6. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    the best shop manuals are the originals. i bougth a copy of one on ebay and the end of the part #'s were cut off. then a friend let me borrow his original i brought it to office depot and they made a respectable copy for me.

7. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I wasn't suggesting we put them here. I know of places to put them. :)

8. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    All the newer workshop & parts manuals 360, Enzo,.. are on CD and come with reader software that requires a hardware key that is connected to the serial port - the reader SW uses encoded data files – all content is highly hyper linked

F stopped printed workshop manuals after ’99 – the printed ’99 360 workshop manual as well as the 360 Challenge doc sets are available as original (but outdated) and that is what is sold on e-bay either as original > $1000 or as copy $100-$200 or as scanned pages (.pdf) on CD ($29 - $200 – or more) – don’t know what the quality in each of the cases is and all prices are of the top of my head

the original ’99 360 manual however is nice to have since it offers some background info for example about the F1 (but there is a lot of redundancies with the owner’s manual)

9. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    You're right, but there is digital info out there for a lot of things that DON'T require any special key, and that's what I'm talking about here.

Back to the original purpose I started this thread: to put people together who might be interested in pooling digital information and sharing it. If you have access to digital (PDF) versions of non-owner's manuals (workshop, parts, wiring, etc.) for ANY Ferrari models, please PM me.

Here's what I ALREADY have:
    - 308 Spare Parts Catalog (161-78)
    - 308GT4 Workshop Manual
    - 308QV 328 Workshop Manual (550-89)
    - 308QV Spare Parts Catalogue (359-83)
    - 308QV Technical Intro
    - 328 USA Technical Specifications
    - 512TR Workshop Manual
    - 73 Ferrari 365GT4 2+2 service manual
    - 89 328 wiring diagram
    - Mondial 8 Parts List

Personally, I'm most interested in stuff for F40, 512TR, 355, 348, and 328. But I'm interested in putting together a large repository for the benefit of many, so please PM if you'd like to contribute.

Thanks!

10. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I have the Mondial t Workshop Manual (bought it for 199 Euros). Anyone who thinks he might need it and is close to Berlin can copy it (at no charge, of course).

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Steve -

I have 348 wsm, 348 tech, and 348 owners manual. Working on finding 348 parts manual. I'm happy to contribute if we can get a nice site together for many people.

I've got server space and bandwidth if we can find a way to do this securely and safely.

-Daniel

12. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Steve,

Really hope you do this as it will stop the fleecing thats going on at the mo, burning cd copies and selling them for £100 a piece over here in the UK on E bay!

I desperately need a set as I am about to do the engine out belt swap so the sooner the better. I will do stage by stage snaps and post them here so there would be pay back.

13. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have Digital versions in PDF of:

308 Spare Parts Cat US 1978 Ver.
    308 Workshop Manual Missing Sections D,F,N, L, I, H G ???
    308 Owners Manual

I sucked them all off the net for free at the owners site/links from F-chat I think.

I would love to have the missing sections of the workshop manual and any other tech manuals that are out there. I think the 308 has a diff. workshop manual for the dealers.

PS: Great idea S.J.

14. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    I have a sheet-feed scanner if anyone has good paper copies that need hoovering into a pdf. pm me if interested.

results freely available on http://bingo.cdyn.com/ferrari/ until someone makes me take them down. most of the stuff there now is not my scans.

I'll rename the files and/or put up an html page with the year/part number if I can figure them out.

anyone seen a list someplace of all the paper ferrari produced?

phil

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

I know I am looking for the factory shop manual for the 81 308 anyone have any ideas for that one Im new to the ferrari world and I am looking into getting a 81, I am my own mechanic and I do all my own work on my corvette ZR1's overhead cam GM motor for anyone who hates corvettes =0)

anyway the above link is for a seller that I know well and he is legit, as far as the cost yes it might be stagering at first but I have a CD PDF file for my ZR1 and it is very good it is a part number CD and not a shop manual I got the shop manuals from the original people who made them for GM at $120 nice think shop manual that the dealers use..

any ideas where to get one??

I have been looking at ebay and I did bid on one am I nuts??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6762&item=7900096393&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBBI%3AIT

16. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I have the parts & workshop manuals for the 355 .. pdf format. Bought them 2nd hand. Something like 2 - 3 Gbytes.

Pete

17. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Can anyone speak to the missing sections of the 308 workshop manual?

18. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John

I was told that the 308GT4 WSM is the same for all early 308's (GTB, GTS, etc.. If so then the WSM is at the jenkins web site complete with your missing sections

19. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I have a factory workshop manual for the 550 Maranello (at least it appears so ... cost $ 700, from Ferraribooks.com)..... others are welcome to any info you need... let me know and I'll send copies of the select pages ..... or if you're in the Los Angeles area ... you may borrow it to have it copied.

20. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Hey Guys,

The gent who had the above ebay auction is the same guy who runs http://www.ferraribooks.com

Its the same guy, I know him through the corvette and ZR1 forums

name is Kurt white!

I know Im new but Its true :D

johnny

21. Mr355

Mr355 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004

How much do you want for the manuals
    my email [email protected]

22. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    although the modern manuals are published in computer format only, many folks have been able to get ahold of those CDs and pull the DATA off of them, if not the "manual" per se. i believe this is how the ones you see on ebay have been created.

basically, the data is stored on the CDROM in RTF and BMP and TIF formats, and you can pull off each page/section as an individual RTF/BMP/TIF (it just copies off). the only thing the hardware dongle gets you is the ability to run the custom application that accesses those files.

i (and others here) have the raw data for the 550 parts manual (~200 files). my intent has been to reassemble it into a document and PDF it, but i just haven't had time to deal with it (it's a bit of a pain to do). given that it's a bit of a pain to do, that hassle is more than likely what ferraribooks is charging for. if someone is willing to host it, let me know i can get it to you. it's 26.5MB zipped.

i have a password-protected 550 workshop manual PDF that i purchased second-hand that i'd rather not share - unless someone knows how to break an acrobat password and clean it.

doody.

23. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Doody,

Are you saying that you don't know the password and want it "discovered" for you?

24. rufus

rufus Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2003
    Toronto & St PetesFL
    Full Name:
    Pete Gorrell
    ---if there's any demand. I also have all the various 308 stuff, but I think most have these. (My 308 parts book lacks the text, only has the pix....) wd be willing to contribute to any central repository.

WPG

PS I've almost completed a colour 308 wiring diagram for those who go cross-eyed using the F-supplied one.

25. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins