Which 308 do you get??? | FerrariChat

Which 308 do you get???

Discussion in '308/328' started by etip, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Which year 308 is the "best"?? Is one year more reliable, more horsepower, lighter/faster than another year??
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    328 :)

But seriously, to each his or her own. Some like the sound feel etc of the carbs, some like the feel of the quat. The quat had just about everything sorted out on it. The i's are the best bet if cost is an issue.

Fastest is a toss between a carb fiberglass and a later quat. Best overall, and most desirable is an early fiberglass, also carb cars sound the best. Later cars are generally more reliable, albeit the difference between, say a 80 and 82 is not much in terms of reliablity.

Depends, tell us what you like and what you want really.

3. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, I'm looking to buy my first Ferrari this summer. I would like a little more pull. I have a 79 911 with exhaust and headers now. I grew up building big block and small block mopars, so I'm trying to find a mid ground between acceleration and handling. I don't mind annual service bills and would like a car that is pretty spunky. I've been mainly looking into pre-80 cars since I heard they were faster and sounded better.I know I'm not giving you much, but I'm still trying to find the perfect mix. I guess that's why I keep posting questions, I'm just trying to get a feel for the F-cars.
    thanks for your help.
    Eric

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If you like carbs, then I would go with a fiberglass 308.

If you like injection then the quat is the way to go.

I suggest staying away from i's for you.

I like 308s but the crash bumpers ruin the car IMO. That is why I think 328s are perfect. Faster, more reliable, and IMHO, look better.

5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Get the Forza buyers guide...
    go to 308Faqs on the net.
    if you opt for a QV, get an 84/85 ... a few upgrades from the 83
    there are many threads on this very topic

6. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I can't find 308Faqs. Do you have the website address?? thanks

7. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
  8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I wanted a glass 76 Euro but these were very hard to find when I was looking a few years ago. So I ended up with a 77 GTB. I like the solid feel of the coupe body (less rattles) and wanted the carbs without the cats. This still had the hotter cams and the sound that I was looking for. So the choice is yours but I stayed away from the FI cars because of the power drop and the injection problems. Carbs are straight forward. Just cold start PIA but once warm goes like a bat out of hell.

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The first year carbed fglass 308 is said to be the lightest thus 1 of the fastest. Also easiest to hot rod. The 308QV with steel body & $ valves per cylinder is next fastest w fuel injection. 308GTSi is the slowest of the bunch.

With supercharging you can get a 308 to 400hp + fairly easily, maybe as much as 600 hp

10. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I had a 1979, 1980 and 1983 308 GTS Ferrari. The 1979 I put over 100,000 miles on it and it was pretty much problem free. I wouldn't touch a 1980 again, I got mine for a steal and couldn't pass it up. The 1983 was my favorite of all. I would go with 83 to 85.
    Just my opinion.

11. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Love carbs and 'glass body, yet for ease in this changing weather environment AND ALSO RUST PROTECTION a 1985 Euro is best IMHO. Am putting the '85 Euro here on a basic diet right now and hope to get her down to 2,700 lbs or lower :)

12. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    i have a 78 308 carb car that is very well sorted out. it runs and drives like a champ. not as fast as a glass body but not as slow as an inj. plus consider this the top comes off (which is very nice) and no problem insuring or with inspectons,
    and they can be had at a reasonable price. one other thing is you can spend some $$ and it will go as fast as your wallet will take you.

13. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    etip...Welcome to the forum. I hunted for two years to find a VERY low VIN number '77 Euro 308 and found it. You will be happy with any 308. It gets down to what you want, i.e.: Carb'd or QV, US or Euro. For me, it was the first GTS year, Euro. My hopes are that the lower VIN may make the car a bit more valuable. I'm finishing up a few mods that will hotrod this puppy a bit and should be posting some pics in a few weeks.

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I hate to say it, but a stock 308 is not going to accelerate like a big block anything and will only hang with small blocks that are stock and build in the 78-84 "we don't know how to deal with polution" days...all the others will be faster. Even stock a 308 will trounce most mopars in handling.

All the v8 ferraris are about 3000-3200 lbs with the hp something like 76-76=240(308 fglass), 78-79=220(308)?, 80-82=205(308i), 83-85=235(308QV), 86-89=260(328), 89-95=300(348), 95-99=375(355), 99-present=400(360), with the dyno info I've seen saying the 375 and 400 are a bit optimistic.

So I think that if you are going to go 308, your are going to end up modifying the car. I can tell you that your worth nightmare with mopar parts hasn't prepared you for what it will take to build a hot ferrari engine....well I've seen crate 426 engines for $10k-$15k which is about what you'd pay for a stock rebuilt 308 engine without exchange. If you shop around, the parts for a stock rebuild can be had for about $4k-$5k. A naturally aspirated street 308 engine can be brought up to about 300hp for another $2k or so over the rebuild parts price. The only good new I have is that even a stock engine will accept about 15 psi of boost and put you at 350-500 hp depending on which model you started with and whether or not you intercool. The QVs always make the most power once you start modifing. Parts for a turbo or supercharger system will run $6k-$12k and plan on that much again to have a system fabricated and installed.

For handling, 308s respond extremely well to updated shocks and springs. Prices range from about $800-$5k depending hpw much your after.

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Oh man oh man, i am soooo much looking forward to getting the 308 back as she is right now going through suspension work :) STOP TEASING ME! ;-)

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As Auraraptor said: 328

IF it has to be 308, then the QV (last two years of production) and add a tubi to get the carb sound back.

Just talked to my mechanic who made an interesting statement about the fibreglass ones (the first series): Collectors might like this car, but as a driver it has too much flex because of the fibre glass. Interesting, isn't it.

From all I've heard and read about Ferraris it seems to me, that whatever model you pick, if you can afford it, go for the end of the run. Avoids a lot of problems in general.

17. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    mk e,
    I hear what you're saying about the cars not being big block torque monsters. I have been driving a 79 911 for the past five years, so I'm used to the expenses and lack of torque. thanks for the input.
    Eric

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    You'd be amazed what a blower and 20+ psi will do for the torque...in 1st gear the tires start spinning when the boost gauge gets to about 15, in second they come lose at about 20 :)

19. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ha, ha, ha... I'm looking forward to it!!!!

20. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Andreas
    With due respect to your mechanic, the flex on a glass 308 is no more than any other GTB and certainly a lot less than a GTS.
    This is due to the torsional rigidity being a function of the chassis, not the body.
    This is evidenced by my car, which is tracked regularly and shows no signs of stess, cracks etc in the body which would indicate flex - unlike the Lotii I have owned in a past life :(
    Regards
    John

21. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    If you don't mind the looks, the 308 GT4's are great cars. Same carbed engine, but the car handles better than the GTB/GTS cars. Also supposed to be a little bit lighter.

Some people can't stand the looks of the GT4, but I love it. One of the most underappreciated Ferrari's out there.

Dom

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interesting comment on flex. He must mean the body panels, because both glass and steel cars have tube frame. F106AB IIRC.

As all glass cars are GTBs, I wouldn't see an issue myself!

23. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    I know the 308i's take a lot of hits - too slow, unreliable, etc, but my 82 never, and I mean never, fails to start. I've rebuild the suspension and had the 30,000 mile maintenance done. The only engine work has been to clean, and lube, the air valve. The car runs great and I'm very happy with it. Don't discount the "i" cars too much.

24. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    "Those Who Know" tell me that the 308 GT4 is the SLEEPER in the handling dept. If the 'Magnum' 308 is the must, I'd pick whatever example you can find that has up-to-date service records - be afraid of no car! Even the slowest, least desireable models can be 'hot-rodded' to your liking, if you have the cash and the wrench skills. GTBs will provide better handling over GTS cars, but are hard to find...

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Eric,
    With most Ferraris, later in the production run is invariably better with few exceptions (the early injected 2 valve 308s for example). The 84-85 would be the 308 to have IMO. First 308's to have rust proofing.