To change the oil or not?? | FerrariChat

To change the oil or not??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dom, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I've always been a change the oil at 3000 miles or 3 months kind of guy.

The last time I changed the oil in my GT4 was on Jan 2, 2004, using dino oil (currently castrol 20W50). But, since the car was out of service for a couple of weeks getting the leather done, I barely have put on 1000 miles since then (Bad, bad, bad, I know I should drive it more).

It's been 3 months, but not much in the mileage department.

Do I change the oil and filter anyway?
    Maybe just change the oil, but not the filter?
    Neither, and wait a little longer?

What is the collective opinion of Fchat?

Dom

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You're being way, way too conservative -- using a time interval of 6 months is a very pure existence IMO. Have you checked the recommendation in your OM?

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Well, the manual says:

"replace again the oil and the filter every 6000 mi. adding 11 cu ins. of MOLIKOTE A". The oil specified is AGIP SINT 2000 SAE 10w50 (Is this a synthetic oil?).

A different section of the manual says every 6000 mi or 6 months.

I've always been fairly conservative about changing every 3 months or so, because I generally drive my cars hard. Even when I don't have 3000 miles on the clock since the last oil change, because I've always assumed that oil had a finite lifespan. Why does Ferrari allow 6 months, when most places suggest 3 months?

Part of me says that oil is cheap, just change it already. But, I've also heard that you shouldn't change the oil filter too often, because they take some time to begin filtering effectively. That's why I'm wondering if it would be OK to just change the oil and not the filter. BTW, I'm using a Baldwin B253 filter.

What is Molikote A?

Dom

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Dom

Agip Sint 2000 is synthetic

I would always change the filter when doing an oil change, not heard that they take a while to work effectively? although tend to agree with others that every 6 months is more than enough

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Dom -

Try to get Ali Haas opinion on this. From what I can tell, he is truely the "oil master" of Fchat. If you switched to synt, you'd probably double the lifespace, especially with that low mileage. However, I can't possibly understand why you'd change dino oil if the car has been sitting with low mileage for 3 months -- that doesn't seem nearly long enough to warrant the mess/expense.

-Daniel

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I think you can go to 6 months safely.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Dom -- If you just can't resist changing the oil, I think it would be A-OK to leave the filter on 'til next time.

PS I believe "Molikote A" is one of the "Molykote" products from Dow-Corning (but it's probably obsolete or replaced by some other PN by now).

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Oil doesn't spoil/go bad over time.

I just changed mine: 3100 mi and 13 months since last (Feb '03 - Mar '04).

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I forgot to add to that comment:

I've been using Castrol Syntec 5W50 for the last couple of oil changes.

10. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    You say you drive the car hard. What does this mean? Do you track the car? If not, an oil change of once a year is sufficient with todays oils. There is no additive that can improve the current formulation of motor oils. Do not use any additive.

On a non - track car an oil change every 3,000 miles with dino and 5,000 miles with synthetic is probably OK. Both oils can be used in many new cars for 10-15,000 miles, especially the synthetic oils.

Personally I change the oil in all may cars at 3-4,000 miles. The Mercedes and Ford get regular dino Pennzoil while the Maranello and Murcielago get Mobil 1.

aehaas

11. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    By hard driving, I mean, I usually take the car to work once a week, which is a relatively short commute (7 miles each way). Therefore, the car does not get properly warmed up.

I'll also usually do a weekend drive, where I do get the oil to temp, then try to do "Italian Tuneup", or spirited type driving.

Track events- Only once so far, but would like to shoot for a goal of 3-4 times/year, time permitting. For track driving, I assume an oil change immediately after the event.

Dom

12. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Should we trust the same guys who brought us implants??
    sounds like snake oil to me.
    chris

13. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    On a more serious note, has anyone read any credible testing of oil filters? If there any significant difference, it would be a small price to pay for a "better filter".

chris

14. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Given that:

- My car sits out our long Canadian winters;
    - At the most, I drive 2000 miles over a six month period;
    - I use AGIP SYNT 2000 10/40.

A once a year (at the end of the season) oil#filter change is plenty for me.

15. Shadoko

Shadoko Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    Le Mans, France
    Hello !
    I have to add some oil in my recently acquired Mondial quattrovalvole of 1985 (Européan version) and I don’t find in Agip homepages the recommended oil:
    Agip Sint 2000 SAE 10W50
    They still sale: •
    AGIP SINT 2000 10W-40

So do you know which oil could be used instead? Thanks a lot in advance. See you ! Shadoko.

"Mondial Quattrovalvole Cab. 1985 Europe in Le Mans, France"
    "if everything was simple as mechanics..." (Anakin Skywalker - Attack of the clones)

16. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you have not changed the oil in your car since Jan. 02, 2004 i feel that it is past due no matter how many miles you put on it. I would never change the oil without replacing the filter kind of defeats the purpose. Mobil 1 15w-50 is a good oil to use.

17. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Agip Sint 2000 is a synthetic base oil, not a 100% synthetic oil.
    As it has been around, given or taken, for 30 years now, I hope that Agip modified (i.e. improved) its formula during this time span. Due to this, considering that initially oil change was recommended by Ferrari every 12 months or 6000 miles, perhaps your approach is a little conservative.
    For sure oil is important, but I guess that when you remove it, it is in like new condition.
    I remember very well that some years ago Quattroruote, the leading Italian car magazine, tested four cars for 50000 km with different oil (and filters) replacement intervals:5000 km, 10000Km, 25000 km and 50000. Used oil was Mobil 1 (Synthetic)
    Every time oil was changed samples was taken and analysed. At the end of the test all 4 engines were disassembled and measurements taken.
    The final results were surprising. Oil samples after 5, 10. 25 and 50 thousand km showed similar lubricating characteristics and the engines wear was practically identical.
    You sort your own conclusions...
    Ciao
    Eugenio
    BTW, I replace oil and filter every 6000 miles or 1 year, whichever sooner.

18. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    For the record, my post was originally posted in April 2004. It was brought back up today...

19. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    somebody has been digging in the archives

20. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    OK Dom,
    I did not notice that little fact... :)
    Out of curiosity: did you change oil and filter or not?

Ciao
    Eugenio

21. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Yes, I wound up changing it. I can't help it, I just feel like doing it every 3-4 months or so. Since then, I've switched to using Mobil 1 15w50, which should give me a longer interval, but I usually just change it anyway. I can get Mobil 1 15w50 at Walmart in 5qt jugs for $20. I need 2 for an oil change, so I figure $40 (+$10 for a filter) every 3-4 months isn't too bad for peace of mind.

Dom

22. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Which is worse for cars that are not tracked?

1. Changing oil every 3 months which includes the time after you first start it where the pressure is zilch and engine is getting even less lubricant than it does with a normal start?

2. Changing the oil every 6 months or even yearly which is 1/2 or 1/4 of the no oil circulation starts?

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually, one nice thing about my old Brit bikes was that you never had to change the oil. All you had to do was add some new oil every so often.

It seems that this was one area where the Brits were ahead of their time because their motorcycle came with built-in, uh, recycling! And, you didn't have to worry about taking the old oil to the recycling place either...

Dale

24. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    When a Porsche 911 stops leaking oil,...It is out of oil.
    hth,
    chris