Windshield repair. | FerrariChat

Windshield repair.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by f355b, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    Has anybody had there F windshield repaired?
    i have a small bullseye and wanted to know if they do a good job.
    thank you.

2. ART360

ART360 Guest

Don't repair it. Replacement with factory parts will be about 3 - 4k, well above your insurance deductible, and because its not an accident, won't be chargeable to you, so your rates won't change.

Art

3. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    you can always see the repair however well done- thats the problem!

4. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    okay cheers, so i guess if it gets worse just replace with NEW. is that right?

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I 've had the same on mine repaired by Auto Glass. Barely noticeable and took around 35 mins.

6. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A repair will be fine, it'll hardly notice at all. You should be able to get your insurance company to pay the entire cost.

I wouldn't replace the screen for a small stonechip.

7. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    ive had two repairs done by autoglass on other cars and have been able to clearly see it. I would not find this acceptable on a good car

8. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I used to know a guy who did windshields for a living. He also worked for GM for years. He maintained that GM figured that on Convertables that 80 to 90 % of rollover strenght was in the windshield. His point was that a lot of windshield places will offer to do them with quick turn around times using materials that do not provide the strenght needed in factory specs. He told me to make sure they use the over night drying adhesive as it has the strength.
    I have seen the replacements on vehicles where you can actually push and slightly move the glass.
    Just my 2 cents.