Argh! What do you guys do to handle pop-ups? | FerrariChat

Argh! What do you guys do to handle pop-ups?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ghost, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I'm getting so many pop-ups that it's driving me nuts. Just till me what program to get to permanently prevent these irritating "small window" ads. I've downloaded the new MSN and Google toolbars -- both of which promise to prevent popups -- but I still get an inordinate amount.

I now officially hate popups more than spam.

What a freakin' annoyance! :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Do they open in an Internet Explorer window or no? If they don't, it is a piece of software that's triggering them on your computer. Check out http://www.parasiteware.com

3. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    the google taskbar add-on has worked perfectly for me

Ernesto

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Google toolbar has worked well for me too.

5. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I use a program called EMS Free Surfer. It is a free DL. I don't like the Google toolbar, this stays hidden except for a little icon in the tray by the clock.

6. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    The google toolbar only stops internet explorer pop-ups, so if you have some spyware on your computer that isn't launching from IE, then that is what is getting through.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I use the Cox pop-up blocker. Works perfectly for me.

9. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I used EMS free surfer for a few months, and it worked intermittently. When it worked, it worked well. But half the time there was some "system incompatibility." Finally, I bit the bullet and bought Zone Alarm Pro, which, besides providing a firewall, also blocks pop-ups. It has worked flawlessly. I'm glad I spent the $50 (or $45, or $40, or whatever it was).

10. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the input guys. The adverts are only present when I run IE, and range from "Netflix ads" to "You've won a vacation, click here to redeem" type ads to "Lower your Mortgage" type ads.

Great input so far -- I'd love to hear what others think. Hopefully this thread will be a good respository of knowledge for others that are equally troubled by this annoyance.

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

www.Netcaptor.com

It's an explorer based browser that kills 'em, completely, while keeping the explorer look.

Free adds a scroll bar (small) at the top with advertising, I think there's a $19 dollar version that kills the scroll bar, and the pop ups.

It works better than anything else I've used, it works 100%.

12. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    i use the yahoo meesenger toolbar with popup blocker and no more popups for me.

13. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I uploaded the pop-up blocker from StopZilla and used it for the trial period. I did not buy it when the trial was up, but kept the banner that appears on the startup of the computer. I have not had one popup since!

14. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    What do I use?

Mozilla Firefox :)

Install it. Use it. Love it.

-DC

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If you use a pop-up blocker like Norton's it will block the Ferrari Market Letter's classified section for some reason. If you take FML make sure you can cut off your blocker or you cannot read the ads!

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    the problem with yahoo's bar is it's quite resource intensive. it also loads up those silly buttons each time once it's downloaded the information that it needs - all of this, before and during the page that you are trying to bring up when opening a new browser.

tip: set your homepage to 'blank'/nothing at all. you'll be able to pull up a new browser quickly that way.

17. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Google toolbar should take care of everything.

I recently took the more drastic step and installed FireFox, it's great. Wouldn't go back to IE now.