Why does he do that? | FerrariChat

Why does he do that?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jimmy540i, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    It's really not a big deal but I think I'll just bring this up.

It's Sunday 3:00 PM in Southern California, I decide to take my 360 for a spin.

On a mild traffic light stop, I get myself in the #1 lane (slow lane), and notice there’s a silver BMW M3 convertible (current E46 model) w/ 3 guys in it on #2 lane. I did not pay attention to the car nor the people in it, just sipping my coffee.

However, when the traffic moves along, I was doing about 50mph (still on the slow lane). The M3 was far behind due to the mild traffic. I noticed that M3 gunned the throttle and moved behind me. And all in the sudden, it's like he is going to rear-end my 360 on purpose. Of course when he gets close to my rear end, the driver merges to #2 lane than cut off to my lane and fled. I would assume he was going at least 110mph when he was far ahead of me.

I didn't slow down when the M3 passed by, just kept speed. I did down-shift a gear and slow down a bit after the M3 passed by to watch his success cutting off a Ferrari.

Man if I was in my 5-Series Beast, I might have gunned and eat that thing for lunch. I just don't have the mood for that car while driving the Ferrari.

The Question is, what makes that M3 to do that? To show that he is outran the Ferrari? Or just simply to "REPRESENT"?

I would just drive normal and compliment the car if I were him, it would easy since he drives a convertible and my window was down.... and I would give M3 driver a smile or a thumbs up.

Like I said, this is really not a big deal, just a bit odd, please no negative comments, I was just wondering about the M3 driver's motivation.

Your comments? :)

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Why do some people drive 160mph in local Los Angeles freeways? ;)

Only they know, we can't "daignose" them

4. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Was he younger?

5. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California

Passengers.

-DC

6. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

not in a Ferrari or passing a Ferrari :)

7. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Didn't pay attention to to front passenger, but the driver might have been in the late 20 or early 30s, and the kid in the back was like 13. Probably his son/brother or something

8. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    One word, testosterone. Jimmi you must be slowing down a bit to let that guy go ;) Hey good for you.

9. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Passengers most likely.

10. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    :)

11. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I don't think Jimmy has slowed down, its just that he probably takes it real easy when he is in the F car, right Jimmy?

12. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Inferiority complex? Bet he wants to own a 360 real bad but don't have the resources. So he buys an M3 and soup it up and goes around looking for Ferraris.

13. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    not sure what exactly happened since we were not there.
    if the whole hway is empty, he CHOSE to ride your a$$, then sped up BEHIND UP, almost HIT you, then changed lane, then CUT you off, then he has issue.

otherwise he prolly just wanted to go faster, and had to get infront of you. nothing more to it.

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I thnk he did it to get you to go for it - have a go at speed. Cutting you off should have incensed you enough to mash on it, which is probably all they wanted.

A foolish way of giong about it, I agree, but that's my take.

--Dan

15. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Yea, at times people just wanna see how fast a Ferrari can go. Because it is not a dime a dozen car. Just take it as a compliment. Just glad that guy didn't cause an accident.
    I posted on your Southern Cali thread on one of my experiences.

16. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    That was JPM and his family. He wanted to finally pass a Ferrari in a BMW for once, any Ferrari. :)

17. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    "That was JPM and his family. He wanted to finally pass a Ferrari in a BMW for once, any Ferrari"

GREAT POST ANthony!!

18. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ
    maybe he just wanted to see if you would speed up, so he could see/hear a ferrari racing

19. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    probably not, he was going at least 90mph when he passed me (remember I was doing 50mph), and remember he was making the scene that he was going to rear end me

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This kind of thing happens almost every time I have driven any of my Ferraris over the past 5 years! It goes with the territory. I don't know how long you have had your car but this is something you are just going to have to learn to deal with in L.A. or get rid of the car.

Of course, the other alternative is to forget about doing only 50 (or 60 on the freeway), throw the latte out the window and abuse the little pecker!

My "Idiot du jour", was a guy with a squeegee (in a gas station) who got irate over my not letting him clean my windscreen. His partner (with the shopping cart) wanted to race me for pinks!

Get used to it or like you said... drive your BMW.

DL

21. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    They all do it, pick-up trucks, suburbans, some old guy in a beat green minivan, even a tree service truck.. its a riot. Some old Honda beater did it to me one day and 3 miles down the road there was a puff of blue oil smoke on the side of the road.

It happens even more in the yellow Boxster, all of them know what that is.

But I think its a guy thing.. you all know your's is bigger/faster than the other guy's..just gotta test it to be sure though,.

22. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    true... thanks for the advice :)

23. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    LOL, now that's funny.

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Darth: next 550 of yours (no. 4?) should be black - I hardly get noticed. Discretion...

--Dan

25. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Black in a 550 is beautiful, but hardly discrete.