Hot Water heater out -- boiling water for bath | FerrariChat

Hot Water heater out -- boiling water for bath

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by damcgee, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    My wife and I are college students, so we live in some on-campus apartments. This morning, we wake up to find out our hot-water heater is not working. We called maintenence, and of course they cannot come out until tomorrow. So we're stuck without the ability to take showers, etc.

This has made me sincerely grateful for the hot water I enjoy. I have spent almost 45 minutes boiling 4 pots of water at a time (with one pyrex in the microwave for good measure) so that I can have a warm bath.

This sucks.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Insert joke about lack of hot water in Central Arkansas here.

Don't worry Andy, electricity will be there someday.

:D :D

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ryan good one :D

Andy, sorry to hear, I sympathize. I spent my winter vacation in a place that had no hot water, and wood for fire was scarce. So even though it was winter for 34 days of my vacation I was destined to take very cold showers.

So even though it might seem bad, it could be much worse. Hope all gets taken care of swiftly. :)

4. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Heck, when I went to Japan on vacation, all of the places I stayed at (homes of friends' friends) had small shower hoses next to a hot bath. So you squat on the floor using this freezing cold water from a small hose and dinky showerhead and wash off in a writhing spasmic fit, and then try to get into this flesh-melting bath... which I couldn't, unless cold water was put in for the wussy gai-jin.

Some of the places had digital toilets though, which was cool.

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Digital toilets! LMAO. We definitely vacation in different places. Where I vacation, a hole in the ground is for the rich people, and poor people use the shallow end of the local pond.

6. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Damcgee,

Just a thought here, isn't there a gym on-campus that has a shower you could use?

7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Man, I think you're cutting too many corners on your holiday plans when it gets that far. You have to stop vacationing in Fresno!

Some friends who've lived in China a while said that they're slowly introducing western-style toilets to bathrooms, vs. the typical Asian "squatter" toilet. The only problem is that they don't know how to use them, so people stand on the toilet seat and drop bombs all over the place! !-P

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Last summer, my hot water tank started leaking. I opened the basement door and heard a kind of hissing sound, I was deadly sick with the flu and said "whatever that is can wait untill morning". Well, it didn't. Total flood. Dvd player/vcr, all Christmas stuff, rugs, chairs, 2 sofas, freezer, a couple of benches and a few book cases we use for movies all gone. Not to mention taking the floor up and replacing it. :(
    I hope you get your hotness back soon. :)

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That sh*t is fu**ed up! That is total insan a t!

10. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    If, for some reason, it doesn't get fixed tomorrow, I will resort to using the gyms on campus. However, being that it is Sunday, the gyms were not open today.

The bath was actually alright, it was rinsing off with the ice cold water that was miserable.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

:D :D LMAO :D :D @ Fresno.

But seriously I can't afford anywhere else man, I am poor. Unlike you, I won't be driving an Enzo anytime soon, so I can't ball like that :eek:

Funny enough, I have actually heard of this. I know about the squatter toilets, rather interesting. Flat on the ground, and it has the chain flush at the top. :D

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    OOOHHHHH!!! Gimmie a home
    were the buffolo roam
    and the deer and the antelope play...

Were seldom is heard a discouraging word and the sky's are not cloudy all day

:)

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    While you were poor, I seem to recall you drive a Lexus and a Mini Cooper right now! Seriously though, being in college is the best for cheap travel - especially if you're friends with a lot of foreign students and people who have travelled... personal examples:

Friend who's dad works at United + Friend who lived in Japan = 10 days in Japan, first class flights, spoiled by Japanese families and bring home plenty of gadgets for about $600. Still keep in touch with one of the families, too.

Friend from Switzerland (who's uncle has Riviera condo) + buying a sellout ticket to Munich for $350 with grad gift money = week in Switzerland and a week on the Riviera for about $700.

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Agree on the cheap travels. Disagree on my financial well being :D Mini Coopers are cheap and so are Lexi (pl?).

If I had a F50 or Enzo like some people, you could say otherwise ;)

So 4 million dollar salary in Lousiana, taking it? ;)