Big Problem | FerrariChat

Big Problem

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Teenferrarifan, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The last night a bird fell down my chimney(sp). We have glass fireplace doors that were shut, and I was watching tv at the time. So, I got up and tied the doors shut with the shoelace from my sneaker. What would you do to get it out? I couldn't even tell you what kind of bird it is except it is about the size of a fist. It is two dark and too much glare to take a pic I already tried. Has this ever happend to anyone else? We got a new chimney cap, but with all this bad weather we never ended up having it put on. Go figure. I still need to get rid of this thing.
    Erik

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    catch it with a net, or a trashbag. that's my only advice that I can provide. or else, we improvise here in Austin, TX with tennis rackets and baseball bats to knock out and dispose of bats that get into homes.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    A. Put on some gloves, grab it gently (possible net needed) and release it outside.
    B. If it's a young bird the fell from the nest then there is little hope it will surive unless you could put it back and even then its questionable.

I get birds all the time in my garages, just grab them and put em outside

4. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    If it's where you can get it you should put some gloves on and gently grab it around the body. Make sure it can't flap its wings. Then take it out side and let it loose. Hopefully it isn't stuck above the flue. If it is you'll have to try and reach for it. Good luck!

5. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Stuck below flue. The only problem is how do you open the doors they open outward one right one left while still getting the bag into position? Thanks for the suggestions
    Erik

6. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    First off, its a damn bird. Its not going to hurt you if it gets out. Just chase it out of an open window if its not dead by now.

7. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Build a fire.

Big one.

DrS

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Keep it shut and let it die. If you dont wanna wait that long open the doors real quick, throw some paper and wood in there squirt some lighter fluid throw a match and shut the doors back up.

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Better yet:

1) Build fire
    2) Smoke for 45 minutes
    3) Eat

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    We once found a fallen from nest bird. Saddly we could not find where its nest was.

We took the poor thing inside, and put it in our old cananry cage. My mother nursed it back to health by feeding it. She wrapped his broken leg for a while. When it was 'spunky again' she removed the wrap. When it was happily jumping aroung again, she released it outside.

I suggest, you get gloves, try to save the little guy.

11. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Guys upon further investigation we have found out that this thing is not a bird but a duck. A ring necked mallerd(sp) male to be exact. My neighbor is a bird expert and I called him earlier and he was just able to get over here. He doesn't know what to do though.
    Erik

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If it is a duck...then you definately want to have gloves and a long sleeve on. Those F%ckers bite. :)

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If it's a duck get your hands in there with gloves on and a Ka-Bar in one hand and get that head off, then come back a little while later after he get's done thrashing , pluck em, gut em, and the such and cook him up.

14. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    haha nothing can ever be easy!
    Erik

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    if you move SLOWLY and make no sudden moves he will most likely be in shock anyway so glab him ( gently) and let him go. gloves are a great idea, if he bites you through the gloves it will be no more than a pinch so dont freak out and squish him. we have all sorts of critters here. i have had squirrels, wood ducks, a goose,( a bunch of owls) a swan( died), several rare woodpeckers and more flying squirrels than i can count. shame on you if you let it die in there for no reason. just my .02. i have delt with possums and racoons ........ THEY scare me a bit due to sharp teeth and rabies risk. its just a little duck!!!

16. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    carreaper, great advice. A sheet or blanket can also be useful.

I would suggest that once you have gotten him out of there, have a vet check him out. Broken wing bones are a common injury, but they are easily fixed by a qualified veterinarian. You just might get a cute pet out of this..quack quack!

Keep us posted, and some pics would be great.

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If you find an injured wild bird, please contact your nearest wildlife rehabilitation center!

Wildlife Rehabilitation Center -
    Bethlehem, PA
    610-967-7178

Pool Wildlife Sanctuary / Wildlife Rehabilitation Center -
    Emmaus, PA
    610-965-4397

Carbon County Environmental Education Center -
    Summit Hill, PA
    570-645-8597

Pennsylvania Raptor & Wildlife Association -
    Mt. Bethel, PA
    717-894-8850

AARK Wildlife Rehabilitation Center -
    Newton, PA
    215-968-4963

18. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks for your help everyone. The problem is solved, and the bird flew away just fine. I called the wildlife rehab center (thanks Wax), and explained my problem and then asked them who I should call. They then gave me the number of animal control and they sent a guy over to get it out and inspect it. The guy just grabbed the bird with gloves on then checked if anything was broken or if the bird appeared to be sick or anything. Then he walked out to my porch and let go and the bird took right off like nothing ever happend. Thanks Everyone. Wax I really do owe you!
    Erik

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, Wax...

Eric, don't kill the Aflac duck...!!! :)

Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out...

20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Carbon read the post before your's LOL. It happens to the best of us.
    Erik

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    :)

i'm glad everything worked out okay... Maybe next week you'll find the Geico lizard in your bathroom... :D

22. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    we have a woodpecker up our chimney. comes back every year. we just hear a drilling sound every so often when its banging against the metal. It leaves after a few days

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Coincidentally enough, my ex-wife lives in an adjoining state...