New 550 finally comes "home" | FerrariChat

New 550 finally comes "home"

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by riverflyer, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 riverflyer, Apr 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, after several weeks, we finally got to pick up the "new" car. It just finished getting a bunch of minor catch up work and a 30k belt service at FofSF. Interestingly enough, there was a really nice F40 that had been sent all the way from the east coast(!)andit was there for service from the same mechanic who did the service work on my car. I felt very honored. Incredible facility from a car standpoint, as there were about $14,000,000 in Ferrari cars either parked in or about the shop. More Ferrari's in one place than I have ever seen!
    Being Good Friday, and knowing the traffic would be terrible, we headed out the back way for the coast and took the better part of two days to drive home.
    I am so impressed with this car and the depth of its capabilites. It is so smooth, yet fearless in its movement(if a car can have such qualitites). I have had faster cars, though not by much, but never one that moved so quickly with,seemingly, so little effort. I love the predictable nature and the balance. Nothing seems to bother the composure of this car. Too hot into one of the super tight hairpins? no problem, no squealing, no fuss, just point, throttle and go. And the few times we had empty, no access straighaways with no houses for miles, the acceleration seemed as pure and urgent at 120 as it does at 60.
    The cockpit is cozy but the back shelf allows you to have "stuff" with you that many two seaters just don't have room for. And the torgue. I bet you could drive all but the straightest parts of the Pacific Coast hiway in 3rd gear
    and have a blast.
    I have read all the comments about how boring and staid the 550 is, but in my opinion, that could not be further from the truth. The car reeks of class, classic lines and understated form with the end result being a very beautiful shape that is admired by all types of people, just as any good classic architecture might be. I live a rural area that does not boast lots of exotics, so many people have not seen one before, but so far everyone that offered a comment loved the car (and no disparing mr2 or corvette remarks)!
    And we have just stood around looking and admiring the car many times.
    And I love the titanium/tan. Very nice combination.
    Oh yeah, did I mention the torque?
    Lastly, I need an experienced owner with understanding and patience who can help me learn some of the things the owners manual just does not cover. If you are willing, drop me an email or phone number and I will launch my first batch of questions!!! Thanks to all the generous chatters who have helped, both directly and indirectly. This is a great board. Take the high road. John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Congratulations, John. It's a beautiful car.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    best color! I love it.

4. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Wow, what a beautiful car, and the lines from the C pillar back..first time I've really seen it so bold! Beautiful combination of class and power, a classic body builder like Steve Reeves in a custom suit! Congrats, truly a lovely ride. I think I may start looking for one soon!!! Drive in good health.

5. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Good luck with yours. The more you drive it, the more you will love it.

It is a sweet thing.

6. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    John, congrats!!! I'm on my second 550 and would be happy to talk/discuss the car with you. I'll PM you.

7. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    a beautiful car, but so are all maranellos. Congrats...I own several F cars but my rosso fiorano 550 is my favorite. I keep driving it and driving it..and it begs for more.

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    John,

Congratulations, and great write-up! 550 is going to be my next F-car (see profile), as like you, I'm in love with the classic lines. Titanium is definitely the preferred color of choice (seeing Titanium colored 550/575's in "The Family Man" and "Bad Boys II" only reinforced that notion :D).

Dr. Shelby, Doody, and labcars are all good resources for 550 "off the book" information.

Hope you enjoy the ride. And please, please post more pics when you get a chance. She's a beaut!

What are the stats on mileage, year, etc.

9. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    John, congrats! Want some 'on-the-road' stories!

10. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Beautiful!!

The Titanium just suit the car.

11. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    John,
    My favorite Ferrari by far, she is so sweet! Enjoy

12. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Congrats!!! Jeez, if that car doesn't look like a "shark" nothing does. Enjoy!

13. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #13 riverflyer, Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks all for the good vibes and feedback.
    zjpj-well I have always been a black car nut, but I have to say, the titanium has totally sold me. I not only love the varaitions, but after 200 miles of driving, including some drizzle, the car still looked fabulous!
    Audionut, great comment about Steve Reeves in the armani, very true. The c pillar line and the rear fender flare are some of my favorite parts of the car.
    Bart, I know you are correct. I said just today, "I wonder how people keep a 550 with low miles??
    Les, thanks for the pm, emailed you back with the first wave of questions!!
    Coachi, yes, I can hear her begging out in the gargae now. Hey John, lets just go for one more little drive before dark......
    ghost, I can remember rewinding the part in Family man where he takes off and you get that wonderful ferrari music.
    98 with 6200 miles. Very considerate of the previous owners to save so much seat time for me, don't you think?

14. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    awesome!!!!! Enjoy it, and the color is sweet.
    Erik

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    God that car looks amazing! Thanks for posting more pics. Now I can sleep happy. :D

BTW John, I applaud your decision to have taken the car straight to the dealership to get the issues sorted out, and the servicing up to date. Its a tough thing when you've just bought her, but it's the right thing to do. You'll enjoy her ever so much more now.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    John;

Congrats you finally got it! Looking hot! Visiting the San Rafael facility is always cool! Too bad about Brett.

You have my number and email address - feel free to shoot anything you have at me.

--Dan

17. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have never driven a V12 F-car. I am always under a impression that the F-cars should always be mid-engined. Not that there is anything wrong with the V12 in the front, I know for a fact that it has got amazing torque and handles very well. The 550 is great, just that I prefer the TR.

However, I must admit that the 550 has one of the sexiest line on cars. It is absolutely stunning to look at.

Enjoy the car.

Oh, btw don't forget to dump the stock exhaust and change to tubi.

18. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Ghost, you are correct, it was a hard choi$e but since I have not owned a Ferrari before, have never owned a car this expensive before, it seemed like a prudent thing to do. I also like to drive my cars and don't want to worry about losing a 25k engine for lack of maintenance.
    Dan, thanks, will be in touch, in fact sent you an email.
    Mickey, I tried a TR several years ago and just don't fit in it(6'3") and frankly, just prefer the 550 styling. I like the TR and mean no disrespect, just stating my personal preference.
    The car has a Fuchs sport exhaust and has a great exhaust note. I am anxious to hear it next to a tubi or capistrano though as I do not have much reference. I love to be able to hear my cars though and this seems to fit the bill without being overbearing in any range.

19. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  20. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Beautiful car! Have many happy smiles and miles with it!

John

21. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
  22. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Beautiful color combo. Congrats. Enjoy the torque!!

23. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    i have thought about changing the wheels, although the stock wheels have been growing on me. I had posted asking wheel weights but I guess there are many factors and you need wheel numbers which I have not taken the time to find yet. Do you know the stock wheel weights? And how much do the 575 rims weigh? thanks much

24. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #24 riverflyer, Apr 12, 2004
    I had been thinking oem modular, or possibly BBS LM's. What do you guys think of these?

25. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    John: IMO, the stock ones look great, if not a bit small. The 575 wheels are sex, and the 575 modular ones are awesome (the 550 modular I'm nto such a fan of). Rest of the wheels ont he market are way too "bling bling" for me, not in keeping with the character of the car.

--Dan