Removing steering wheel on 91 Testarossa | FerrariChat

Removing steering wheel on 91 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Shamile, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I am trying to remove the steering wheel on my 91 Testarossa. I need to access the headlight switch as the plastic housing that holds the stalk is cracked and the rod just spins around.

I pulled the horn button and #*#^@*()#*#, no standard steering wheel nut. Nooooo it's some wierd round nut with slot cuts all the way round. Does anyone know where to buy the the socket? Does SNAP-ON make it? If so, does anyone know a part number?

Also, about the cracked stalk housing, anyone know a good glue. Is the plastic a special type? Some Super glues don't work on some plastics. Is this the case?

Please let me know. :)

Thank you as usual !

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Welcome to the World of Ferrari and their special tools.
    I guess you can try an independent or a dealer.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I made mine from a 1 1/4 inch socket and a bench grinder. Works great.

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Steve, I Gotta Buy You A Drink! You always come through big time. Of course, I DO appreciate everyones help. Your info. should be in some sort of tech-tip.

Any ideas on gluing the plastic that holds the stalk? Previous experience and Advice from those who have gone before me would be cool.

Thanks Guys !

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

The Baum FR 105 tool does not work. It measures 38mm while the steering nut is 28mm. The socket would barly fit in the steering wheel center. They are going to send me a cam sprocket tool that approximates the dimensions of the steering nut. If is works, I'll post the part number.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's really strange Shamile -- I've got the 38mm FR105, and it fits my US version '91 TR steering nut well.

Are the diameters you quoted measurements of the round OD portion of the ring nut (or the corresponding diameter of the "round" arcs of the socket)?

I checked the US SPC, and although there are three different incarnations of the US TR steering column, all configurations use the same PN for that ring nut.

28mm OD just doesn't seem large enough to accomodate the drive notches and the large-ish thread of the steering column shaft (but I don't recall what the thread size of the steering column shaft is so could be that either the 38mm or 28mm ring nut could fit)?!

8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Dear Steve,

That is really strange. The 38 mm FR 105 definately did not fit. They sent me the FR 104 Tool and it grabs the 4 slots quite well. The nut on my steering wheel measured 28mm dia. on the curve to curve ( not including the indents) My steering wheel (OEM momo ) has 4 sort of angled slats around the nut. The FR 105 was so wide, it rode the slats and would not go down to seat the nut ( which was much smaller in dia.) I mention the steering wheel because I don't think it's a case of a "wrong or odd " nut.

Your thoughts?

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    A UK spec TR uses the same tool as the 308/Boxer cam drive nuts.

I have a home made one and have used it extensively.

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    IIRC there wasn't much clearance between the FR105 and the steering hub ribs on my TR either, but it did just fit. I do know that there was a NHTSA recall by Ferrari on that particular ring nut, but I don't know if they were different sizes (or even if the recall was actually done or not to my TR).

I did manage to find the jpeg below of my steering column hub/shaft, and I think it does show that the shaft thread diameter would be too large for a 28 mm OD ringnut to even be possible -- so can't really add anything beyond that...viva la difference!

(At least I don't think I own a 28 mm FR104 -- but I'll recheck)

11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

After all the hassle to get the right steering wheel socket, I finally got the nut off, the steering wheel unbolted...but the momo hub would not slide out. Do I need to use a steering wheel puller? If so, does napa have a good one? Is there a specific type for my application (momo hub) or will any generic puller work.

By the way, the socket that works for my 91 TR (US) is the FR 104 Baum tools. It is indeed a sprocket tool for another application. It fits perfectly. Steve, thanks so much for sending me in the right direction. I know you use the FR 105 but on my TR, the FR 104 was an exact fit. Yeah, yeah....go figure :)

All this is to access the headlight stalk plastic base. It's cracked and I can't turn the lights on or off. Tips in this endevor is appreciated.

12. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Here's an update. You do need a steering wheel puller for the momo hub. Sears Craftsman makes a very good one with metric fittings. (momo hub is metric) It will pop off with very little effort. With the hub off and a few screws removed, the turn signal/headlight switch unit will slide right out.