A question about the F1 paddles | FerrariChat

A question about the F1 paddles

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bart, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    As I drive my 550 into its parking space in my garage, I must ride the clutch. Since I have but 3 to 5 inches clearance on my right, I do not want to go fast. I must go under idle speed.

My question is can one go very slow with a paddle shifter?

Never drive less than 12 cylinders

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    You sure can. Unlike an automatic car, when you take your foot off the brake in an F1 car you dont inch forward. You must press the gas to start moving. The car doesn't surge forward when you get on the gas though...By that you can easily use the gas and brake to control how fast your going. Dont have to worry about stalling the car and riding the clutch either...

3. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Many sequentials are evolving towards incorporating creep modes, I read about late 360s & Masers Cambiocorsa incorporating such a mode when you 'downshift' from first. Audi's DSG does have a creep mode like an auto for instance.
    It's true that it's reasonably easy to creep with F1 boxes on a flat ground, but a clutch will always give you a better sense of control. When you are in a slope, let alone a steep slope, things get a bit more difficult, left foot braking is advisable (unless you're keen on frying your clutch).

Many will say that their F1 is perfectly smooth in manoeuvering, if that implies replacing the clutch every 10 or 15kmiles, it does not sound like a valid statement to me.

4. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I don't find it perfectly smooth. The advantage of quick up and down shifts at higher speeds comes with the disadvantage of driveability at very low speeds and moving the car from standstill at a slope.

5. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Even the Enzo has this feature. Drove a friend's Enzo and he showed me that is I down shift twice at 1, the car will go into creep mode. I think it's incorporated in the Stradale as well.