UK BULK-BUY WAX THREAD --------------------------- | FerrariChat

UK BULK-BUY WAX THREAD ---------------------------

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 355fiorano, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have had my 355 since November and I felt bad that I have never shown it some TLC in terms of waxing. I felt especailly bad in a couple of the meets when I saw how shiny some cars were. Anyway, I was a t Ally Pally for the classic car show and every second stand was McQuires Wax so I bought a few things and decided to put them to use today.

Boy, what a chore. The thing is that not only is it hard work but you start to notice little scratches or minor dents you never saw before. Although they were there all the time, now that you know about them it just makes you feel worse :(

I know some of you are avid "polishers" but what do the rest of you do?

Philip

P.S I promised my 308 that it's her turn tomorrow but I am having second thoughts...

2. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    I swear by zymol (on a darker car go for the titanium wax).

It is 100% natural and if you follow the regime you only have to wax the car a couple of times a year (refreshing it with the wash mix that comes with the pack).

If you use the zymol clening wax (NOT polish) it removes swirl marks and minor scratches.

The wax is great stuff to use... you don't use a cloth instead 'massaging it' into the cars panels using your body heat to melt it on. You use a special cloth to remove it (microfibre) the finish is exceptional. I have tried most stuff over the years but IMHO this is the best. When on it resists most things including sticky insects in the summer. Takes about three hours to wash/dry and wax the car start to finish - no swirl marks no minor scratches no wax residue or marks on the blackwork.

If you can't be bothered to do it - you should be able to find someone who will do it for you for a price. I know there is a guy around lOndon/SE who uses swissol (virtually the same stuff - carnauba (sp?) natural wax) and he will do a full valet taking aorund six hours but the car will look spectacular.

3. 355fiorano

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Felix,

can you give me his details ?
    Does he have a mobile serviceor dies he have a shop ?
    How much does he charge ?

Cheers
    Philip

4. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    #4 felix66, Apr 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep - I have emailed him for contact details. Now - pricing is interesting - one thing we used to do on the P-car forum was to set up group buys. Wax wizard was up for this and if you got ten people ordering the service at the same time, the discount would be quite substantial. Examples in the attached pdf file.

I am sure we could set something up with the other forum to help them reach ten buyers at a time and thus benefit from the deal? (I will ask him).

also intersting is that for each person undertaking a fool detailing exercise, he donates a slug of cash to the running of the forum (not so sure whether or not we could get this for F-chat since the other forum set this up).

Anyway - His normal prices are in the pdf together witht he group buy prices.

Hope it helps - I will post more when he replies with contact details.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Felix,
    this is top idea and one which has been floated before but nothing got done about it! Are the products limited to what's on the PDF ? I would like to try Zainol but haven't been able to find a UK retailer. I would be very interested in setting up the group buy and using the Valet services.
    Regards.

6. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Tony (et al) Mark AKA Wax wizard can be reached on:

Phone: +44 (1752) 317086
    Mobile: +44 (7966) 713177

He has access to all the swissol products and can supply products only or the full detailing service.

he has two email addresses (remember to remove the anti-spambot):

[email protected]
    [email protected]

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Thanks , i have emailed him re ; detailing. So how do we go about setting up this "wax club", for want of a better word?

8. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Can you start a new thread for a group buy - detailing and make it a sticky?

If we can get ten people together he may offer us the same deal. I can always post on the p-car forum to see if they will let us make up the numbers?

9. 355fiorano

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Felix,
    I like the idea but I cannot open the doc ! Can you give an indicative price or pm me the price list as a possible alternative ?
    Philip

10. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Hi Philip

I cant attach the list to a pm (there isn't an option to do this) if you pm me your email address I will send you the pdf. Unfortunately you cant cut and paste form the PDF since it has been password protected.

You will also need to make sure you are using the latest version of acrobat reader.

As a guide I think it works out at around £330 for the full treatment (days labour included since it is very involved!) and he will come to you - the group buy price is around £230.

11. 355fiorano

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Felix,

these prices are astronomical !!!!!! If I paid that much I wouldn't want to take the car anywhere. I'd prefer to spend the same cash to get the car dirty on a track day :D

Well at least that make me feel slightly better that I did the car myself. I am afraid however that the 308 will not get pampered today... maybe next week.

Cheers
    Philip

12. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    I feared that would happen if the prices were viewed out of context - the pdf explains the total package. Key to the total package is that you get:

1. 250ml swissol cleaner fluid (paint cleaner) and applicator pad
    2. Pot of Swissol onyx or saphir wax and applicator pad
    3. 3 x wax wizard microwipes
    4. 750ml wax wizard swift (interior and door shuts)
    5. 750ml wax wizard brite (glass cleaner)
    6. 5 litre of swissol multiclean shampoo + pump action sprayer
    7. wax wizard wheel brush
    8. detailed instructions and 60 page swissol handbook

total price for that lot is £130 - £160. Obviously you get to keep all that. If you only want the service it costs around £110 (if I remember correctly)

If you have ever purchased swissol or zymol you will know how competitive those prices are. I am not even through the top fifth of the zymol I purchased a while ago despite the fact I have used eight or nine applications.

Its good stuff and WW is good at his job - But for some (myself included) I prefer to do it myself - I still end up paying for the materials though - AND until you have used swissol/zymol on the car it is difficult to appreciate how good the finish is.

Just like zymol (my prefered wax) there is NO polish at all in the product so you are not removing any paint but you do get rid of the swirl marks and and minor scratches (they fill and seal with wax) and so the car looks like the paint is still wet.

13. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Philip,

I am an anal polisher (that does not mean I polish bums), and asked a similar question on the main board a few months ago. Tonnes of information on this link:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/251280/319264.html

but remember the old f-chat threads used to read from bottom to top.

I settled on the One Grand product range as it was readily available, reasonable priced, 100% carnauba, and highly recommended by a number of polishers! The polish did ok at getting swirls out but not 100% effective, however once the wax is on the finish is stunning. I spent 6 hours detailing the car in September and wash fairly regularly - water still runs off like it's just been waxed and dirt never really sticks. Worth investing in decent cotton towells and a good sponge, which I bought through the zymol website.

I did learn through all this that the 'wax on, wax off' karate kid swirly-motion is a load of pants as you are meant to apply it by moving forward and backwards..and we all wondered where the swirl marks came from in the first place! Mr Myagi DOES NOT KNOW EVERYTHING!

14. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    anyway enough of this chatter. I am off to drive my Ferrari rather than talk about it.

Merry Easter.

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Felix,
    i've changed the thread title and made it a sticky ....Let's get organised !

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Guys,
    see earlier posts by Felix.Pls indicate if you're interested in buying these wax products.We save around 20 % if 10 or more of us get involved.

17. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Ok ill have some although I luv the finish of Mc Guires Gold Class

Joe

18. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    #18 felix66, Apr 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had an email from Wax Wizard and the deal for ferrarichat users is the same as in the pdf.

He has also said he will travel anywhere in continental Europe to detail cars too (although he will want his travel costs covered so would probably need to be doing a number of cars over a couple of days or so)

Works out cheaper (around £110) if two cars are booked at the same time so we would need to get organised. If you want the products only see the pdf above - we need to get 10 purchases together for this. Given a full valet can cost around £70 I think the work he puts in is exceptional value (and no I have nothing to gain from this and I still prefer to do my own.... but I have seen the results of his work and the cars looked better than new).

Quote from a user of WW services:

Well the wax wizzard turned up at my house yesterday to do his bit on the car - which is now Swissol sealed!

What amazing results!!! - the car is now glass smooth and the reflections so good I could have a shave in it!

Mark (the wizzard) is probably one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met - he knows everything you need to know and more about caring for your car.

Very entertaining guy and extremely helpful. He arrived at about 11am and after copious amounts of tea(!!) and 10 hours later the car was finished.

Everyone on this forum should use him - the results are brilliant and if anyone thinks they know how to clean their car - well they don't!!

Mark - cheers for everything yesterday - excellent job!

An example of his work is shown on the attached picture (and yes I know its a p-car but its an example!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. 355fiorano

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    OK I'm sold. Count me in :)

Damn and I have 3 track days comming !!!

Who'e next ?

Philip

20. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Philip

have you tried this stuff

www.incero.com/Car_Preparation/homepage.asp

(click on track days) its like tar but you paint it on and it totally prevents stone chips and gravel rash etc. After you have finished it just peels off to reveal your highly polished pride and joy!!

Great stuff and made in the UK

21. 355fiorano

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Wow !

Have you tried this. My car is armourfended but in polishing it i noticed some small chips in non protected areas. The armourfend has been doing its work however as there are a few marks that would have potentaill y been bad stone chips.

22. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    yep - its great stuff - paint it on in the vulnerable areas and away you go - just peel it off at the end of your track day. It sets like a flexible rubber but doesn't impact the paint or finish at all

23. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The stock or the 575 modular rims are the best choices IMHO..

Congrats on your new 550. She's a beauty..

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I highly resemble that!

25. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    LOL !Do we get 20 % discount if we buy in bulk tho?!