348 Cam drive update? | FerrariChat

348 Cam drive update?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bob308GTS, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Got a buddy looking at a 91 348, on the invoice copies he sent me, lists a timing chain update done along with timing belt and top end overhaul. It lists they found the center pulley broken as the cause for the valve damage.
    I had not seen anything reguarding a T-chain update before, what was
    changed with the " update "

BTW total bill was $11,700

Thanks

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    The bearing for the cam belt drive pulley, Guides and tensioner for the chain are the updated parts. I have heard of a broken drive pulley but have never seen one.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yes the factory updated the timing chain bearing in late 1990, I think. The old bearings weren't up to par. Byron just had his fixxed at FX performance, along with the timing belt and all that other good stuff. There is a cover behind the cam drive cogged pully, and the pully for the a/c and alternator. The chain is behind that cover running to the crank. What baffles me is, if they were gonna use a chain to drive the pully for the cam belt, why not just use a chain all the way? I guess sometimes that Italian passion over rules their comon sence. Knuckleheads.

4. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ernie,

...what and miss out on all that lovely cambelt change service revenue for years to come?

5. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Yes... my cam bearing failed while I was on the Buttonwillow track. It caused a large knocking sound in the entire front of the engine... this was an update that was supposed to be done in 1990-1991. In addition to this, my oil pump was not working properly due to a sticky oil pump chain - I think there was an update for this as well. I had my cam bearing and oil pump chain replaced, along with a full 30k engine out service - all done by FX Performance.

-Byron