California Car Duster? | FerrariChat

California Car Duster?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by fanatic1, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    I got one this weekend as a birthday gift........yes, I've searched and a few people on this board love them........my question is, the one I received has a big purple plastic handle and the insert is plastered with "Original California Car Duster">>>"As seen on TV".............now the "As Seen On TV" actually always makes me weary................is this the same product that all of you guys like? Is "California Car Duster" is that a PRODUCT or is it a BRAND???

Thoughts?

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Most all of the dusters are good. After use, run your hands through the duster to rid it of dust, etc. Place back in bag. The oils in the nap seem to diminish in about a year.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yup, I got one too! I've had several over the past few years. They work like a charm. Just use it when there is light dust to remove. And yeup it is the one 'as seen on tv' and such.

Costco has them in a set with a mini-duster and the full car duster for about the same cost as one from a store.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I have one and there great for taking off dust or pollen.Once you get it broken in.

5. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I work at a car dealership, and we california dust all the showroom cars about twice a week just to remove dust. They do a great job on a recently waxed car. It doesn't take a lot of time and you can tell it is cleaner. All the dust is removed and you don't need to push or grind into the finish just lightly go over it. Whether it causes problems in the long run I don't know but I have been using one for 2 months without a problem. Also, remember to always get the dust out (run your hands through it).
    Erik

6. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I use one and like it especially before putting the cover on. I shake mine after use rather then running my hand through it. Not sure if that's better but I'd rather not touch it and possibly transfer more crap.

7. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Ive been using a Cali duster for abt 6-7 years now, and I really love it. Its great to use when you want to recover your car after a brief spin. Really can prolong the duration between washes. Also great at removing simple dust/pollen at car shows.

Fresh out of the pkg, it has excess paraffin wax on it. It will leave streaky grease marks on your car if you do not break it in properly. The instructions on mine said to set in on old newspaper for a couple days before actual use. Once conditioned, it will serve you well for years.

8. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Yep, I use few Cali. Dusters, too. Just like Shatten, I got them at Costco. (I'm a big fan of Costco & Sam's, as I go there 2-3 times a month)

It even cleans up some mud, too. My oldest one is more than 6 years old (I have few & use new ones for F, older ones for other cars), and fluffy part is all black, not red any longer. I haven't read instruction before, and I lost them already. Is this blackness cause small scratches on the surface of the car? What is suppose to be the lifetime of this duster?

9. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Yes, the california car duster is a great item for that interim wipe down when no heavy dirt is on the car. It is very good on dust that has accumulated on the surface from sitting. The one word of caution is not to use it on a dirty car or after it rains. It will pick up the hard dirt and scratch the surface. Also, as mentioned before, only use light pressure when dragging it acorss the surface.

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yep, awesome duster. Works really well

11. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I've never seen one with a purple handle. All the ones I have ever used had wood handles. Could be the new design or something, cheaper to make with plastic in place of wood.

12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    i have one they are great for dusting around the house also. especialy the tops of the celing fan blades

13. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Can I wash mine? Will it remove the oils that pick up the dirt? It looks dirty.