obfuscating number plates: why? | FerrariChat

obfuscating number plates: why?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ashsimmonds, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    ...considering all the effort many people go to in order to get some vanity plate on their car, and that it must be communicated when attempting to liquidize the vehicle (in oz at least).

is it just a "too modest for silly vanity" sign? :D

what are the potential consequences? any real-werld stories?

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I don't understand what you're saying.

3. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    okay, i could have also asked: why blur the license plate when posting photos of your car online.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It might not be the same in Aus, but in the US with a license plate # you can get a lot of info about someone. Although it takes a bit more effort to look up, it could be likened to driving with your phone number on your car - and some people would like more privacy when posting on the net, whether to avoid theft, harrassment from people they don't know, etc.

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Remember as well exitics cars are stolen to order, then shiped to different countrys, also a car id can be changed. I have many ways of obtaining an address here in the UK by the use of a reg plate, get the REG=ADDRESS.In alot of places people know police officers who will do certain things for a price of a drink or do-nut.LOL Maybe folk wont want to beleve this goes on but BELEVE IT!!

6. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    alright, so why not drive the car with no number plates? sure, the nutbag-per-capita ratio is far greater in the online world, but it's people who can SEE your car in person who are more likely to want to get 'information' about it/you.

but yeah, you can't get a person's details here just from a number plate, and i doubt it could be that easy anywhere. just imagine being a poor old hot chick driving along, and all some dirtbag needs is your license plate to get all your information. no, i don't buy it, he should at least have to follow her home and get the information the old fashioned way, stalking. :D

7. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Blurring the plate is probably a nice gesture, but mostly useless as far as preventing theft goes. A decent theft ring won't likely start by looking for pictures with plates exposed, they'll do something like this:

Step 1: I've got a "customer" who wants X car.
    Step 2: The people I use to obtain vehicles are located @ A,B,C.
    Step 3: Vehicle registration records indicate an exact match is available near location B, and a near match is located near C.
    Step 4: One or both cars are physically located & possibly obtained.

If you have the resources, you can find where a car of a given description is supposed to live without first knowing plate or VIN.

Now if anybody wants to find my Z3, it's sitting out on the driveway available for sale or theft :)

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    My background and work is security, when i say to you that i can get your name and address from your reg plate, you beter beleve it dude. This is from expereance, some guys lets say are doing survalance on one of my clients here in the UK, i have the contacts to find out who they are from there plates. You are working on asumpsion i am working on facts. Useing your example,......you see a hot chick in her car and you have a brother who is in the police....what do you think. Ilagal or not this goes on. Not wanting to get deep and heavy here becourse its not the place but... thats why so much wool is pulled over Jo publics eyes, becourse they think such things dont happen.Any ways thats how it is.

9. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    well okay, now we're talking people abusing positions of 'power' and levels of corruption. when it comes down to people of such fortitude wanting something, the issue is somewhat academic.

i'm sure we've all had positions in which a great deal of sensitive information was available to us. but i guess that's what you're on about where joe public feels responsible in his position, as opposed to the lowest common denominator who we have to combat every day who will be entertaining 'entrepreneurial' endeavors.

10. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    ash, you really have a very complicated way of saying some very simple things.

License plates are blurred out of security concerns. It's far too easy to find out personal information these days. People drive around with license plates exposed because it's the law. Efforts are underway to have license and registration information concealed in a "black box" that can only be interrogated by police and authorized personnel. While still open to abuse, it would put one more hurdle in place for the professional crook (ie. they would have to obtain the reader, which will not be easy). It would certainly stymie the casual crook or online stalker.

Those who face personal danger have to employ physical security measures such as hiring bodyguards or driving a circuitous route and taking countermeasures and defensive driving training.

Those with the kind of cars that need real protection employ advanced security measures. They register the car in other parties' or company names and keep them at locations different from the address stated in the registration document.

I have also seen decoy cars and motorcycles that are fairly realistic.

Few things will stop a determined thief, but there's plenty of precautions you can take to put obstacles in their way. Blurring the license plate in online photos is a first step.

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Spot on TVRfreak.

12. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Mine is "DESHIZNIT"

DrS

13. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Does this mean I'm at risk of getting my '72 Chevy Vega stolen showing my Avatar?

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Particular apt, I might add! :D

--Dan

15. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

^ awesome

16. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    lol, it's obviously a joke...

-DC

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    YES, BUT WHAT IS IT????

18. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    When I was in high school (1980s) another kid rammed into the back of my '67 mustang in the parking lot. He pleaded with me to not call the cops because he would lose his license and I let him convince me he would just get another trunk lid for my car and have it painted and we'd be all good. So after school I went to the address he gave me for his house and no one was there. I thought he stiffed me.

So I took the license plate number I had written down from his car, went to the nearest payphone and called up the police at another town in our area and pretended to be an officer from our police deparment. "hi this is sargent X and our system is down can you run a plate for me?" and the loser gave it up! He said "that new fancy computer system you have still don't work?" ha! Turned out the address I had was the same and I eventually got the new trunk lid so all was good, but it was a good lesson in how to get information you need.

Try that one sometime. It'll save you the trouble of going to DMV (where you can request that info from a plate or at least could a few years ago).

19. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Slim, what you engaged in was a very basic form of social engineering. Find two organizations that work together, and call one while pretending to work at the other...you will be amazed at how helpful your co-workers are.

There's a thousand other (some very sophisticated) exploits that have also been perfected, and new cons are being devised all the time.

Read Kevin Mitnick's book, The Art of Deception, if you are interested in learning how to protect yourself from some of them.

Be on guard at all times. But sometimes, the cons are so good that there is simply no defense.

20. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Slim,

As minor as it is, good thing you used a pay-phone. Stupid cops would give you some impersonating an officer BS and make life difficult.

--Dan

21. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Here in NZ I can walk into an agency with a license tag and get the complete ownership details of a car - Name, sex, address etc. It's public information. I frequently get details of cars this way to to keep track of all of the F cars in NZ. There are companies that buy records of every plate and then offer resale. I could ask for a copy of every record that has a plate attached to a Ferrari and would instantly have the names and addresses of all Ferrari owners in NZ - scary but true. I have only heard of one Ferrari being stolen here in the last few years.

Regards
    Andrew in NZ

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had a freeway run in with a big motorcycle gang here in Texas.

They ran my plate faster than the DMV! By the time I got home they had called and threatened my wife.

I told 'em to stop on over, and kept reloading!

She worked for AT&T, and had all new numbers in about 30 minutes.

I'll kill 'em all, next time.

Disclaimer: Not intended to be offensive to overweight Harley riders who dabble in illicit activities on occaision. Don't Tread on Me.

23. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Here in CA I don't think it's that big a deal. The DMV won't release any info and the only ones that can get it are cops etc. I'm sure there are other ways but it's no worse then someone seeing you driving around and recording your license plate. Any other CA people know of some scams regarding this?

24. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    and that's sort of what i figger.

i'd be more worried about trying to sell my car, as at that time i would be giving out all my details, and possibly showing potential unscrupulites exactly where i park it, and likely some of the idiosyncrasies to the car itself.

and then there's buying a car... what's to stop the PO from keeping a set of keys and following you to a shopping car park?

i don't know, it just seems there's greater things to worry about than some mega-nerd coveting your car on a web page... but i understand of course, even small measures are better than none.

25. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    (On my tag being "DESHIZNIT")

I assure you it is not. When I get back I take a pic for you!!!!!!

Drs