Masking of number plates | FerrariChat

Masking of number plates

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ric355, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should number plates be masked in pictures?

1. Yes, plates should be masked

2. No, plates should not be masked

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    When I post pictures here, I always make sure I mask the number plates as I believe I shouldn't post the identity of people's cars unless I have their express permission. I made one exception the other day when I posted a computer generated "drawing" of Joe's car, but I did so because his plate has been posted loads of times before and he has never complained.

However, having said all this, I think masking does spoil the pictures. Furthermore, people photograph my car all the time when I'm out and about - usually with digital equipment - and I have no control over what they do with those images.

So - what do people think - should plates be masked or not?

2. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Can't see the point of masking. I mean, what will someone do if they can see the plate?

3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Carnt see the harm as they see the car on the road anyway, buy I know were Ric,s coming from. Some folk dont take to keen to it, best to ask first i guess imo...

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Not really worried , to tell the truth.

5. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Just to be on the safe side of things,best blanked off,you just dont know who as access to what these days,

cheers
    Dale.

6. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Had my car cloned by an identical Porsche 993 (same colour/model etc - he just put my number on it) a few years ago after I posted an unmasked picture of it on a p-car forum. It ran up parking fines and speeding fines all over the place - about six grands worth. Nothing I could do about it until I had categoric evidence my car was in a different part of the country at the time the other was snapped! Had real hassle with the police - onus is on the owner to prove it wasn't them - not on them to prove it is you!!!!!

I know this could happen anyway but I normally try and protect mine now (not that I am anal about it - just like to minimise the risk!).

F

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Being that i can personaly find out the name and address from a reg plate becourse of my security backgroung and contacts, i think its a good idea for UK F chatters to show there reg plates, this means i know exactly where to find the ones that realy P**S me of!! .....LOL! Joke, joke, only jokeing, dont take it seriously, only jokeing, get of ya horses. I am bigger than that.........

8. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    In light of this, i will blank out licence plates from now on.

9. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I think blanking does not hurt and also potentially can protect from things we may be oblivious of.

Also , having a picture of your car with the number plate on a chat board could land you in trouble by association i.e. some guy posts a bogus story, that the people in that group did things they were not supposed to. Then the onus is on the identified individuals to prove otherwise !

That's my preference anyhow ...

Cheers
    Philip