Here we go again power loss 348 | FerrariChat

Here we go again power loss 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RAYMAN, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Being to lazy to search the archives, can someone tell me where to get an oxygen sensor. It's a Bosch part right?

After a good THRASHING slow down 5-8 light and power loss, slowing down regains power, but is repeated.

I'm assuming this is the correct approach, car has 6,100 miles on it

Thanks,

Ray

2. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    Hi,
    this can also be caused by a bad exhaust ECU. You have two of it, one for each cylinder bank, they are located near the ignition power modules.
    Regards, Georg

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    More then likely it's the exhaust temperature e.c.u. This is a very common problem with the 348. I don't have a pic to post to show were it is mounted..maybe somebody can post a pic for you so you know were to look. Somtimes unplugging them will cure the problem until you can get a replacement $$$. Best to take it to your mechanic to have tested. Many times it's the temp sensor itself giving a false reading to the e.c.u. The e.c.u then shuts off the injectors to the corrisponding cylinder bank. In your case cylinder 5-8. Which is the drivers side cylinder bank.

Be sure to have the cat converters checked. There could possiably be a problem with the cats themselves causeing the high temps. I have seen a 348 with a stuck injector causein a meltdown of the cats. Best to have the entire system checked by you mechanic to be sure that everything in the system is operating correctly. But 99% of the time it's just a faulty e.c.u.

4. Chuck550

Chuck550 Karting

May 15, 2001
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Here are two useful links with pictures from the old board:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/144093.html#POST100162
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/301636.html

Just swap the ECUs (I've done it, takes about 20 minutes with a wrench or ratchet) and see whether the "check engine" or "slow down 1-4/5-8" lights change sides/banks. Then you will know that its a bad exhaust ECU and which one. Replacement cost is about $250-$300. It's an easy fix - after diagnosing and fixing mine more than 2 years ago, I never had the power loss problem again.

5. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli

Thanks allot Chuck I really appreciate it! I don't know what I'd without this board

Ray

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Also try:
    1) bad ground body of o2 sensor
    2) bad connection o2 sensor connection
    3) bad o2 sensor
    4) plugged cat converter

There is controversy as to whether the 348 o2 sensor picks up a ground through its body. Personally, I just added a ground wire to make sure it can never be an issue and I don't have any issues.

Also unplugging exhaust ecu is diagnositic. These cars run fine without them. I never use the exhaust ecu and I track my car 100% of the time. All the challenge guys did that.

7. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Aren't you warry of a cat fire?