328 Bumper on a 308? | FerrariChat

328 Bumper on a 308?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308tr6, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I just removed my front bumper on my 79 308 as part of a little body repair on the front spoiler. I now know two things. Not only is the bumper freaking ugly it is also heavy. That ain't going back on the car. I think I am going to either go the euro style, consider a 328, or fab my own out of aluminum. So to the obvious question does the 328 even fit a 308? Anybody done it? Thanks.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am not sure if the mounts are the same, but it indeed should fit, as the 328 is an evolution of the 308 in which they got rid of the IMO stupid an ugly black bumper design. (which is the only thing I dislike about 308s and was incidently fixed on 328s.) and replaced it with a sleek looking design.
    Best source for parts I would say is either ebay or FoUK.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I really don't think it will fit. The front fenders of the 328 are different to allow for the different bumper design. I will post some comparatives pic's tomorrow.

4. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Well, that is your opinion. I like the sharp 308 design a lot more than the soft 328 design and I am sure many agree with me, however no need to start a poll about it for me.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I agree with you Bert, I now have a 328, but prefer the look of the earlier 308 with euro bumpers and no rear deck spoiler. Just seems a bit more angular and raw...

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #6 Verell, Apr 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You'll need more than just a 328 bumper.
    You'll need a 328 front spoiler & the grille, plus most likely some misc HW & maybe bumpre mounts.
    The spoiler wraps around & becomes the lower half of the front fenders that's in front of the wheels. I"m reasonably shure that the sheet metal around the bonnet & the top portion of the front fenders is common between the two, but haven't actually tried something like you propose.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I agree that the 308 is sleeker than the 328.

I bought a Euro bumper and had it painted and clear coated and think it looks great. Check out my profile.

8. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Thanks for the comments guys, I actually overstated my dislike of the 308 bumper a little bit - it doesn't deserve to be "freaking ugly", but how about "less than attractive". When it fell on my lap as I removed it (it has to weigh at least 40 pounds or so) my attitude changed a bit. However, I do think these bumpers were kind of an afterthought to try to meet US 5mph crash standards and weren't an integral part of the nose design. The euro style is much better, but a more evolved style (IMHO) is evident on the 328, 348, 355 progression. I personally like car styles that are clean and look like they were somehow sculpted out of a single piece of something. The front of a 308 looks like - oh crap we need a bumper, oh and a grille, and lights!!. Not meaning to bash the 308, I obviously love it, and respect the leave it as original concept, but to me it is fun to take a great design and "polish it" a bit. Obviously you end up with some abonimations (sp?), with this approach, but sometimes its a good mend. I will keep the original bumper to bolt on in the event I sell it to someone who has different (or perhaps better?) tastes than I.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I agree about the US spec bumpers, esp the nose ones being quite intrusive.
    Yes, they're there to meet the DOT crash stds, to the detriment if Pininfarina's original design.

RELIGION/ESTHETICS:
    I really like the euro bumper, much more than the 328 bumper. I also prefer mike's body color euro bumper to the 328 front end. The 308 euro bumper is 'crisper' and a much better match to the overall lines.

The 328 bumpers are an attempt to move toward the 'melted' look characteristic of the late 80s/early 90s. Needless to say I don't like that style either...

10. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I went with Euro style bumpers front and rear on my 308, what a difference! Both in looks and weight.

11. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Any pictures of the rear bumper? Where did youget the rear?

I bought front and rear and the front looks great. The rear does not fit well. It is smaller and much more recessed. It won't fit with the rubber peices on either as it is recessed even more than they are.

12. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Richard,
    I got the bumpers from a friend that decided not to install them on his car. I think he bought them from Ferrari UK, but will check with him tomorrow to make sure. I will post as soon as I find out. By the way, they fit like they were origional equipment from the factory.

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    As much as I like the look of the Euro bumper my priorities dictated the money go elsewhere (they're not cheap!). In your case I would go with the Euro 308 front bumper instead of the 328 set up. I think it would look better and be less expensive that way.

I hated the look of the crash bumpers so much, sticking out a foot or so, I drilled the shock mounts and pushed them in. It looks much better IMO. I added some Euro turn lenses and a 70's vintage Italian license plate and viola'............... Now I hope to get rid of the weight in the future.

( My profile shows the rear of the car with the bumper pushed in)

14. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    That fix works well on the 308s. I looked pretty closely at a 328 yesterday, and I don't think it would work anyway. I agree on the price for the euro bumpers - pretty high for a rather basic piece. I might fab my own knock off in aluminum. Material cost would be about 50 bucks, and I have free access to some very good aluminum welders. I would think the weight should be in maybe the 10 lb range. I did an aluminum rollbar (cosmetic only - but also a nice chassis stiffner) for my TR6 last year (double hump v bends) that came out great, and I had less than $100 into it.