insurance recomendations? | FerrariChat

insurance recomendations?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by smg2, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    OKay I finally got around to calling my insurance co. and found out they have a limit of 80k for underwriting in CA. :( so question is what co. would you guys recommend? I really don't want to change co's only becouse i've been with this one for over 10yrs, so this would be just for the Maser. yes I know that a used Maser would be under 80k but they consider it an high performance exotic and thus they don't want the risk. all becouse i live in CA.

any recomendations would be great, thanks for the wonderfull help thus far.
    scott...

2. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I use Hagerty classic car insurance. Agreed upon value, road service and towing, nice people, quick response, and cheaper than Geico, which insures all my daily drivers. They have a website at: http://www.hagerty.com/ and you can get an online quote.

Example: '74 Dino 246 GTS. Agreed value=$90,000. 1 yr premium=approx $900.

'01 360 spider. Agreed value=$250,000. Premium approx $3,900.

You set your own value (within certain limits), and can increase agreed value each year if the car is appreciating (like the Dino), or decrease it if the car is depreciating (like the 360).

3. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    Is this for _full_ coverage (liability _and_ collision/theft) ?? If so, I can't believe it is so cheap. How clean is your driving record ? Would this price increase dramatically with a few tickets in the last few years ?

thanks.

4. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I tried a quote and great rates!!
    What is the difference between them and regular insurance co(All-state, Geico likes)?? The rates seem to be WAY WAY better, unreal.
    Did you ever file a claim with them?

5. George H.

George H. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    George Hoover
    I ended up adding my Stradale to my 21st Century policy. I shopped Hagerty, Grundy and Leland West. 21st beat them all - $2740 per year, no mileage or use restrictions, 100k/300k and no concerns about my umbrella applying.

6. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Surprisingly, Hagerty is more than my Allstate policy. I guess $1K a year for $500/$250/$100 limits with no restrictions is pretty good being that I live in NJ.

Ken
    308QV

7. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    State Farm just cancelled the full coverage policy on my Jeep because of too many tickets. They would not insure my jet boat with a 455 for the same reason.

When I bought my 78 308 GTS I checked with Geico, Progressive, and a host of other traditional companies. They either would not insure or wanted an arm and a leg.

So I did what I should have done in the first place. I went with the company that the prevoius owner had suggested. American Hobby Ins out of Florida. They charge me less than 300 bucks a YEAR for full coverage and @ a value I set ( 30K). I thought for sure with my record they would not even talk to me. I think their limit is one ticket a year. Which is about what I get.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Search the archive, been discussed many times before. That said, I use Chubb and have an agreed value policy. No milage limitations.