Do you want one tech section or tech for each model range? | FerrariChat

Do you want one tech section or tech for each model range?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rob lay, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

1. As is.

2. Tech section under each Vintage, Classic, Modern, Super Ferraris.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

2. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Great Idea...

3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Let me add...great idea for Tech ... 1 forum for 328, 1 for 348, etc etc.

NOT a good idea for General Forums...keep that the way it was...

my $.02

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    My suggestion is neither of those... I'd just let Tech posts go into the model-specific forum... why separate more technical posts from less technical ones???

My guess is that Tech primarily exists for those people who couldn't keep up with General, but were interested in the more technical discussions on their specific models. But that's just a guess... that suggests a different poll...

5. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Separate out for each model 308,328,355 etc ... keep the rest as is.

6. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

I like it....except that this gets complicated. I had a 348 and scanned the new threads for "348". Generally I'd say people are pretty good in the tech section at describing what's going on in the title. Also, I've received help from people who didn't have my specific model. I like having the tech section as one forum.

If this is to help the archives, it would make it easier to have model specific tech sections. But then again responsible posting and making sure you include your model number in the title goes a long way towards helping people find information when they search. I've had good luck searching for information using title searches only.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Rob,

I'd suggest sub-dividing the Tech Q&A in a different way:

1) Engine/Transmission/Drivetrain, including exhaust
    2) Body or Exterior, including wheels, tire, paint and trim
    3) Interior, including leather and dash, and associated electrics
    4) Tech questions from prospective owners

How about that breakdown?

--Matt

8. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    My 2 cents:
    I would prefer to keep the technical section as it is.
    There is some commonality of problems/fixes between different models.
    A lot of my time is spent reading, not necessarily to remidy a specific problem; I appreciate seeing all the problems across all models at one time.

There is especially commonality between the 308 and 328 and then you have to look at other models that are similar for instance isn't the Testarossa FI similar to the 3X8?

Mark

9. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I agree with Mark. Keep it the same. Over at the Lamborghini Talk forum they split off tech into V8's, V10's and V12's. Only the V12 section is in use.

aehaas

10. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    I am a member of an Acura / Honda, ok . ok I drive 6 miles to work, web site which is separated into engine , transmission, brakes, and suspension and interior exterior . It is really easy to look into the subject you want.
    Winston

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I agree, keep it the same. The same guy or his son made the coolant tank in my gt4 as is in the 360 by the looks of it. My limited understanding of Italian cars is that are all designed and built the same. I read as many tech threads about different models as I do my own, and benifit from all.

my 2 liras

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I'd take it a step further and go: For the 6's and 8's: Pre 308GT4, 308GT4, 308GTS thru 328GTSi, 348-355 (many common denominators), and 360.

Then I'd have sections for the 1990 and newer 12's, 1980-1989 12's, and so forth.

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    voting no on this one and making a suggestion: use sticky index threads to reference particular common questions / great posts regarding a particular marque etc. simply split up those stickies into three: 6's, 8's and 12's.

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    A couple of years ago I'd have said let it be, now I think grouping it by models with a lot in common such as husker suggests makes sense.

The overall volume of TECH Q&A posts has increased significantly in the last year. Also there's been a dramatic increase in non-3x8 models.

IMHO, the current level is manageable, but another year's growth will force partitioning as the amount of time scanning for items relevant to a particular model will be disproportionate to the time actually reading the relevant posts.

So either bite the bullett now, or be forced into it by growth.

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I can't believe the poll is even close -- splitting it up creates too many categories because many types of information are applicable to multiple models. If you must split, then 6, 8, and 12 cylinders might be an effective approach because this limits the number of categories to a reasonable number and because there are technical similarities within the models of the various engine types.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I agree with Peter - don't split it. There'll be WAY too much clutter.

--Dan

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Leave it as is.

Now that the other discussions are messed up, most of my time here will be spent in this forum. If it gets divided up, how am I supposed to keep my ear to the ground about other models I may end up owning in the future. I don't own a TR or a 355, but by reading all the tech questions and responses over the years I have a pretty good feel about what to look for when I go to buy one.

I also like reading posts from DIYers regardless of the cars. Supercharged 3x8s, home engine pulls from TRs, hydraulic actuators in F1 systems. There's a mindset here that needs a certain critical mass to perpetuate itself, and splitting the topic will just harm it.

Besides, where would "I need a machine shop recommendation" and "More Oil Information" threads go?

18. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    My sentiments also.

19. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I guess my question would be,
    do we really have that many tech posts to warrant dividing up the tech forum?
    Some of us own, or have owned more than one model.
    And give advice and tips that might not get posted, if one were just to browse, say the 12cyl tech forum, and not the 8cyl forum.

For example, as a former owner of a 79 512bb I have a little stored knowledge about the car that could very well be helpful to current or future owners of the car.
    But since I currently do not own a boxer, I would have no reason to visit the tech forum for that car, and poor old Joe might not ever get his post answered.
    But as a single tech section I would see all the hot topics and be able to offer my expertise to any of the posts without having to search endless subdivisions.

Just a thought.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    One of my main reasons for dividing up the other models was to break up the tech section too. Without breaking up the tech section, there are less reasons to break up the general model discussions.

We'll vote on the general discussion break-up in about a week after it settles down.

Even if we revert back, I really think someday we will have to break things up to handle the sheer volume.

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think the most helpful people won't check all the different forums & we would lose some of the great help we get here. :(

(Rob - Can you tell I am really afraid of losing good content?)

22. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    In my experience, just the opposite happens... as volume increases, people get frustrated that they can't keep up... that they spend an hour scanning through messages to find the ones in their expertise... and then they stop visiting. That's how you lose people... you lose them completely.

When you break up the forum, if you break it along lines that match people's interests, then those people don't stop visiting... rather, they just visit fewer forums regularly. Thus, the F40 experts don't go away, they just only visit the relevant forum; the Daytona experts don't go away, they just only visit that forum.

So, its a trade-off! When volume is low enough, its best to have just one forum... minimizes overhead. But as volume increases, it eventually becomes overwhelming for some. Then as it grows, overwhelming for more. And eventually, overwhelming for almost everybody. At which point, you reach a balance point where you have a moderate number of very prolific posters. But you've lost a lot of the really smart people who don't have enough time for all that volume.

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I hear what you are saying Brian - I just hadn't seen the Tech area get too out of control ever - Just 5-10 new topics a day - Shouldn't be that hard to scan. The general forum just seems to disjointed now - I liked the feeling of the community better rather than the segregation. :)

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Tech
    165 Days [Nov. 1, 2003 - April 13, 2004]
    1,822 Threads
    17,199 Posts

11 Threads a day
    104 Posts a day

Threads [Scaled over 4 years]
    1461 days [4 years (including leap year)]
    x 11 [new Tech Threads/topics a day]
    16071 [new Tech Threads/topics]

Posts [Scaled over 4 years]
    1461 days [4 years (including leap year)]
    x 104 [new Tech Posts a day]
    151944 [new Tech Posts]

Fram: You can pay me now... or you can pay me later.

I think the only question/answer is: What is the best way to subdivide Tech?

25. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I was close - 11 threads a day. :)