I bought the wheels today! | FerrariChat

I bought the wheels today!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Tipo815, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    In my quest to build a pseudo Novitec 360 (no engine work) - I am doing my best to acquire the pieces from different sources as one source does not seem to have everything. Hopefully, it will all come together as planned.

Believe it or not - Capristo manufactures the Novitec exhaust. It is essentially a rebadged Capristo! It only costs you an extra $2,000 for the Novitec name! What a deal! Not! So, I purchased the Capristo through Costa which has been installed and sounds very healthy! Next was the Novitec carbon fiber rear grill with the drilled holes. Wasn't crazy about the way it looked in the pictures so I opted for the Challenge grill - again - compliments of Costa.

Next - the wheels. This is where you are going to raise your eyebrows! I purchased them today but they will not be delivered and installed until Thursday or Friday. Herein lies my concern. The Novitec wheels - pictured on the red 360 below - measure 9x19 (front) and 9x12.5 (rear). That's 12.5 inches in the rear!! If that isn't crazy enough - the front tires are 245/30 R19 and the rears are 355/25 R19!! This is not a typo! 355 is a MONSTER tire! Let's put this in perspective. The F40 has rear tires that measure 335. The Enzo has rear tires that measure 345! How on Gods green earth can you fit a 355 size tire under a Modena fender without modifying something?? The Novitec people say nothing needs modification. This will definately be something to see!

As for the aerodynamics - it might be a while as the Forza article seems to have created a bit of a frenzy. Supplies are limited. I happened to get lucky with the wheels because a close personal friend works at CEC (now the importer) and he was able to convince one of his customers to wait for the next shipment since his order was not complete yet. So I got the wheels. There are alot of nice after market wheels but I happen to think the Novitec wheels are beautiful - very similar to the Enzo wheels. I will post pics the moment I have them.

2. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Looks nice!!!
    Yeah you're right ..they look like the Enzo wheels.
    Great buy!

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Jeffrey,
    Good looking wheels.
    FYI my F40 has 13" rear wheels. 355mm =13.98inches. 335mm=13.19inches
    Are you sure you want to put a 14" tire on a 12.5 inch rim?

Rick

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sweet looking wheels - Look like the Enzo!

5. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Really nice wheels - should look great on the yellow 360.

Just went to supercars.de - nice pix of the wheels on the lowered rosso 360.

Looking forward to seeing the car - will be at FX next Sat with Jerry and the blu chiaro 328. Will the 360 still be there??

Cheers
    Kevin

6. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Rick - I am not sure I want to do that at all!! Ha ha. It's simply the way the wheels are coming from Novitec. In fact, according to my friend they were shipped from Europe with the tires mounted and balanced on them already! The tires are Pirelli P Zero Rossos. Believe me - I am as surprised as you are!

7. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Hi Kevin. I am not sure it will still be there or not. It depends on how things go this week. I am hoping that it will be done by Friday. If not, it will be there Saturday.

8. Simon @ evosport

Mar 4, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Simon
    First, congrats. The Novitec wheels (made by Capristo...just kidding!) are sharp and certainly have some resemblence to the Enzo wheel. By the way, CEC is building Claus' Novitec 360 and should have it to show off this Thu at their LB Grand Prix party in Santa Monica if anyone is going. Anyway...back to your wheels. Anyone who owns a 360 knows the front fenders on the 360 are narrow..heck the 355 has wider front tires than the 360 from the factory. And while there isn't much room to play up front, the rear is a different story. But to answer your question of how..it's called offset (or ET as you may have seen it). Offset is is the distance from a wheel's hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. You also have to understand the suspension geometry of the car to know what will work and what will not. The Novitec front 19x9 ET28 has an offset of, you guessed it, 28. The rear wheel is a 19x12.5 ET51. A 51 offset would make the wheel sit further in (as opposed to a much lower offset which makes the wheel stick out), which, with the right suspension geometry (as the 360 rear would have) would allow a larger tire to sit back there.

Keep in mind, Europeans (especially Germans) love wheels with CRAZY offsets. They love to see the wheels stick out and use up EVERY inch (or mm) of space. Most wheels you'll find in the US have a much more conservative offset. This is why there are about 1,000 BBS wheel sizes and applications they don't import to the US :(

Hope this helps and good luck with the wheels..make sure to post pics!

9. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Simon - Thanks very much for the information! Much appreciated. I am sure you are 100% correct. I am just surprised since I visually looked under the car and estimated the amount of space under the wheel well and then glanced at Rick's rear tire on his F40 and said "not a chance!" Ha ha. Anyway, I am sure it works. It has to work unless all those pics are fake!! :)

I will be attending the private party at CEC with my friend there. Hope to see/meet you there if you are in attendance.

10. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Jeffrey,
    Congratulations! Man, when you have your mind set on something... hehe... can't wait to see your car when it is all done. It will be so frickin' awesome!! :)

B.

11. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

#11 silverf1modena, Apr 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    WOW...Sounds insane!! With regard to the front tires it was my understanding that increasing size more than 235/35/19 would drasticly reduce the sharp handling in the 360.

13. NOVITECROSSO1

NOVITECROSSO1 Rookie

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Albert Cook
    Just to confirm: the front tires for the Novitec Rosso wheels are size 255/30ZR19 and the rears are 355/25ZR19 Pirelli Rosso. There is no modification required on the rear but we recommend to modify (roll) the front fender to avoid the tire from pulling down on the fender. I have seen many aftermarket wheels installed on 360s to cause damage to the front right fender.

14. NOVITECROSSO1

NOVITECROSSO1 Rookie

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Albert Cook
    It is correct that Capristo is the manufacturer for the Novitec Rosso exhaust. BUT! This exhaust has a distinctively different sound and comes with larger 90mm tips that are centered into the openings and includes a much nicer looking set of grilles. AND: The exhaust lists for $4299. I don't believe this is $2000 more than a Capristo??

15. ponyup360

ponyup360 Rookie

Feb 15, 2004
    Huntington BEach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jerry Lotter
    Can anyone give me the weight of the front and the rears. I want to reduce weight and not add. Do Hammands weigh the least? Maybe I should go with Staradle wheels for the least weight. Please help

16. eMokhtarian

eMokhtarian Rookie

May 3, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    N/A
    Beautiful Rims, as for the black Hamann Modena... WOWWWWW....

17. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Its my understanding that HRE wheels are lighter than the Stradale. Contact Matt at Meridian Automotive (310) 475-2788 and he can advise specs. and weight comparisons.

18. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    Hard to beat HRE's for weight savings and ease of repair or modification... I love mine~!