Why do *you* visit Tech forum? | FerrariChat

Why do *you* visit Tech forum?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Brian C. Stradale, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Please check all that are true for you:

1. I primarily just read threads on the model(s) that I own.

2. I look for all threads on model(s) that I have expertise.

3. I look at all the threads... I like all technical discussions.

4. I have expertise on all Ferrari models.

5. I visit General regularly, in addition to Technical.

6. I rarely visit General, but visit Technical regularly.

7. I rarely visit Technical, but visit General regularly.

8. I rarely visit either Technical or General.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    This is a poll designed to figure out the real motivation for people participating here... its a multiple choice poll... please choose ALL the choices that are true for you (not what you think is true for others).

2. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    I hope to own a Ferrari 308 someday and this is an excellent resource to see what are the typical problems (& solutions) associated with 308 ownership.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I look first for any thread related to performance improvements on any model and would sooner have my eyes gouged out than read any thread about washing, waxing or otherwise primping a car....although the "I read it in a magazine so it must be true" threads are almost as bad...but I guess Allen is gone now so those should be less common....

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i come here to share as well as learn. i have had many types of cars and am FAA certified as an aircraft mechanic. sometimes a little help with a question when no one else has replied , is better than no help at all. several new members have been treated poorly by others for no good reason , just becasue they asked a " stupid " question. i am not an owner yet, but many older cars have similar solutions to problems. i dont pretend to know anything about the newer fcars and only lurk there to learn new things.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I dont want to antagonize anyone, but if you own a Ferrari and have never been interested enough in it to take at least something apart on it then I feel sorrry for you. Although I consider myself pretty intelligent, the greatest pride in my life has been taking my car apart, putting it back together and having it run better than before, or for that matter, run at all!!

I guess what I am saying is you cannot have as much appreciation for the automobile unless you have witnessed the artistry which is Ferrari, and trust me as beautiful as the body is the heart and soul of the Ferrari is the motori.

I know that if my car breaks down somewhere on the road, all I need to fix it is a secure garage, $10,000 worth of tools, a direct line to all my favorite parts guys, all the cool guys at F-Chat and several weeks! HA

6. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    My best friend, some years ago gave me a Road & Track containing the precipitous article about the 308 being an affordable dream.
    That stuck with me untill I began to see friends, parents and acquaintances leave this palnet for the usual reasons. Asking myself - Why an I working 6 days a week - what purpose is there to life, inshort, I saw my own mortality and decided to acquire a 308. I began reading tech posts to learn about the car and try to make an informed purchase. acquired a 77 gtb. Now I soak in the tub and read old posts about carb rebuilding, my first move in the morning is to amble into the kitchen to start the coffe maker, then check the tech posts for engine or chasis performance posts or responses. ditto coming home.
    I concurr with mike about the eye gouging bit and pimping the car, (hard core mike!!!)
    Older whiskey, younger women and Faster Ferraris..

Put the pedal down and get it sideways.

Long live TECH.

with malice aforethought,
    I remain,
    chris

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, I guess you feel sorry for me... but that's not quite fair!

I look at it this way:

1) A Ferrari and how well it runs are both waayyy too important to let some idiot work on it, let alone disassemble it. (Yes, I am referring to me.) My Ferrari gets only the best mechanics... so, I am not allowed to touch it. ;)

2) If I have 10 hours to spend during a week with my Ferrari, I want to spend all 10 hours driving it... on road course or on real curvy roads.

I come to Tech Forums and basically quickly scan for 360, Stradale, and F1 threads. I'll also peak at Enzo or 355 threads if they look like they may be applicable to my car.

However, that's just me! I don't fault a guy (or gal) who's into wrenching... what better to wrench on than an old Ferrari? I can't imagine a better choice. And of course my fun driving Ferrari's depends heavily upon there being people to work on them.

Cheers,

Brian

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I come in here sometimes to see pictures of Ferrari engines close up.

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I come to the technical section to get away from the polls . :)

BTW. I voted and I spend a lot of time here. I think it is one of the most interesting sections and one most in touch with what this is all about: sharing information.

thanks,

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Brian,

I knew I would piss someone off! :). Bare with me, here is my story, three very famous and unmentioned Ferrari mechanics worked on my car, right before and after I got it. One replaced the clutch before I purchased the car, when I replaced the clutch I found two missing parts and two that didn't belong there. The other rebuilt the suspension, when I had a bad shock noise I decided to do the rears again and found several key bushing pieces missing entirely. The third replaced my water pump which leaked for several years afterwards and stripped my engine drain plug. He did not know that Ferrari had a factory helicoil fix (neither did I at the time) and when I replaced my water pump (see above picture) I found out that after taking 8 hours to get to the pump he changed the seals but neglected to replace the corroded $10 shaft, hence the leak. On the gt4 the ac, both cam belt covers, smog pump, etc must be removed as the water pump had studs instead of bolts. My theory was that if these guys knew what they were doing, but had limited time and did not care was equal to my limited knowledge, desire to learn, unlimited time and love for the car. I do understand with a newer car a degree in electronics would be manditory, but I doubt I will ever let anyone touch my car again. I know there are great mechanics out there, but I could not afford their rates at the level of workmanship I require, hence my fondness for the tech area. There are several here who have devoted much time to my tutoring and I just hope that some day they are as proud of their student as I am of them!

Cant wait to take off the carbs!!!!

11. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I first used the Tech section before my first purchase. I spent over 2 weeks searching the archieves in Tech to know what issues to look for..ie Belts, Valve Guides, Headers, etc etc.

After the purchase I used it for help and info on DIY things, such as brake pads and other nickle and dime stuff. When I did anything, I would usually take pictures and post the procedure to assist any other first time F-Car owner with some tips and comments.

I try to go to Tech daily. When I see something of interest that may be of future use, I usually print it out and keep it in a reference log.

IMHO the Tech section is one of the most valuable parts of F-Chat.

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Excellent poll Brian.

My reason? The body might be beautiful, but the soul of a Ferrari is pure mechanics. It's not about saving on repair bills, it's about getting to better know my car and understand how things fit/work/harmonize together. Saving on the repairs is an added bonus.

When the day comes for a belt change on my 348, you can be sure I'll do it myself with the assistance of Fchat and the wonderful community we've got here.

-Daniel

13. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I don't want to bash professional Ferrari mechanics, but there is a lot of myth about who is capable of working on a Ferrari or not. First of all it is a conglomeration of metal and stuff assembled by humans, not a divine gift from God. In this respect it is not substantially different than that erector set you got from your parents a few Christmas's ago. If the erector set was not of interest to you, or the car you built looked more like a donkey, then perhaps you should continue taking your car to the shop.

However, if you have an interest, and some mechanical skill, and can read, and perhaps a significant amount of spare time - you can be a Ferrari mechanic. And frankly, you could be a damn good one, and even more frankly - better than a lot that you will get at your "authorized dealer". No one worries or cares more about your car and getting the job done right than you do.

14. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I usually don't visit any forum in particular. I just click on the new posts button (under user options) and get a listing of all new posts. Then I read anything that interests me.

I think I read many of the posts that fall under the tech forum (using the above method). I am an amateur mechanic at best, and love to read about the workings of cars. Oftentimes, the discussion goes over my head, but I just see that as a learning opportunity.

I agree with Rob Garven, there is definately something special about the motor of these cars, and it is great to be able to do some of the service yourself.

The tech forum has been a valuable resource for me when I've tried to do-it-myself. I've learned tons about my car, and saved probably thousands of dolalrs by now.

Dom

15. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse