Another 328 rattle- is this a safe fix? | FerrariChat

Another 328 rattle- is this a safe fix?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DBR328&330, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I am aware of the usual places 328s rattle. I have one that was minor but now is getting almost intolerable. I believe it is the heat shield at the bottom front of engine and a black metal vertical plate just ahead of it. It doesnt occur until the car is warmed up. It will not occur at idle or when the engine is revved at rest. It is not rev dependent while in motion and will go away under hard acceleration. It will not go away when coasting. And does not vary with wheel speed. When the Ferrari mechanic said it was likely the heat shield he moved the black plate forward which helped briefly, but came back. When I do the same thing it helps sometimes but comes back too.

Any other thoughts?

I was thinking of stuffing a balled up piece of aluminum foil between the heat shield and the black vertical plate. IS THIS SAFE??? ie risk of fire or damage.

The Ferrari mechanic said the fix would be to tack weld the shield, but I dont want to take it there just for that, but it sure is bothering me.

Thanks,

Dan

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have seen a way of fixing this that was interesting but it did work.
    Not really somthing i would do but if you are interested let me know and I will tell you how it was done. Again not somthing I would do..but it's o.k for a temp fix if it's really driving you nuts, until you can get it repaired.

3. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    tbakowsky,

I know of one way that is not appropriate for me- taking hose clamps and crushing the heat shield- car too original for that. Is this what you mean?

What I really need to know is the aluminum foil a safe temporary fix?

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    heavy gauge safety wire? done in a way to be the least visible? just a thought.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Tha aluminum foil will be o.k for a while.

The way I have seen it done..is to drive a self tapping screw through the heat sheilding and have it push against one of the header tubes. This will tighten up the sheild against the screw. You may need to use a couple. (I have seen as many as 3!!)

Again not really the correct way but it dies work.

Tom.

6. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Thanks so much Tom.

I dont think I would do it that way either. From what you said though, it sounds like the source of the rattle is the heat shield hitting the exhaust tube/header, right? Also, is it right to assume the exterior of the shield isnt so hot as to melt the aluminum foil?

Dan

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't think it will melt the foil not really hot enough. More then likely that is your rattle. Heck mine rattled like crazy until I fixed it.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  9. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Hi Dan,

I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask a fellow GTB owner a question on another topic. The overhead console that houses the interior cabin lights and third brake light is starting to sag on my car. Have you experienced this with yours? Any idea on how to tighten it up? Thanks.

10. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Thanks so much guys. I have already stuffed the foil and now the heat shield will not move around. When it stops raining I'll test it out. Hi Lens, I am sorry I havent run into this situation- I bet if you take down the light cover or buton covers you might find the fasteners to adjust- they had to get it up there somehow!!

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If you're talking about the heat shield that runs on top of the exhaust below the belts, then swings under the alternator, check to see if the bolt has loostened or come out of the bracket that attaches the inner corner of it to the motor mount (at least it does on the 308 QVs).

These things were fastened down originally, you just need to figure out where the original fastening was being done.