California Smog test | FerrariChat

California Smog test

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bart, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Every two years, cars in California are required to be tested for smog. I received my notice it was time to have my 550 smog. My car was required to have its test done at a “Test Station”. A “Test Station” is for cars, which normally have high-test results. Gee, California thinks my Ferrari is a smog maker.

The “Test Station” is about twice as costly as a normal service station. I was very nervous.

Well, guess what? Read the results. My sweet little thing puts out very little nasty stuff. The State of California is dead wrong about Ferrari. It is a very clean burning engine.

I want my money back.

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I believe being sent to a test center is random. I have a 91 honda wagon with 250K miles and it performs flawlessly every two years, and never go the "take it to station" thing. However on my newer lexus I was sent to a test station.

My friends mom works at the DMV and said they generated them at random.

3. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    rEAD THE SMOG REQUEST. iT SAYS WHY YOU ARE GOING.

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    LOL I know Bart. Sorry did not mean any offense by my last post, just my experience.

Maybe my friends mom is stupid, and I am stupider for believing her. Again my apologies.

5. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    After 2 years driving w/Oregon platess I decided (with the help of CHP) to get a Calif plate. Went to the smog guy...it passed except the OMBDII was giving some codes. After taking it to the Referee and numerous other places, I took it to the dealer (Auto Gallery). Seems I have a cracked exhaust header. Since my car is a '99 it's under warrenty!! So tommarrow I pick the car up with a new smog cert than pay about $1,000 for the registration (its around $25 in Oregon) and I'll be legal.

Bob