550: Expedia S02 vs S03 | FerrariChat

550: Expedia S02 vs S03

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ze_shark, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Does anyone have comparative experience between Bridgestone Expedia S02 and S03s on a 550 ? I believe that the S02s were part of the OEM offering ?

PS Does the search function work in this forum ?

2. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

FYI, I don't think Bridgestone offers the S-03 in the 550's rear size. Ironic, since Bridgestone is a Ferrari sponsor...

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    search function works fine as far as i can tell.

my understanding is that the S02s are no longer made - haven't been for a while. so if you're buying S02's they might not be "fresh". and if you toast one, getting a replacement pair will be a pita.

Admit it, Buffy. Aren't there times when you just feel... less than fresh?

doody.

4. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Also be careful that the load rating on the tyres meet the 99 and 96 specs - otherwise you may have problems with your insurer and registration.

There aren't many options for the 550/575, it's Pirelli, Pirelli or Pirelli!

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Great, dislike Pirellis :-(

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002

Just out of curiosity: why?

--Dan

7. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    More perception or brand image than actual experience, I never owned a car running Pirellis. Bad reputation on the wet too.

Some might smile, but I don't like the "looks" of the PZeros, I think that the shoulder profile and thread design can change a lot to a car attitude. I love the squarish shoulder design of the Expedia S01 on my 355, I also love the feel at the limit, but it's all subjective, never had a chance to compare side by side.

Finally, I had the "priviledge" to run-in a brand new set of PZeros on a 360 at Mugello, one of them was defective, bad compound mix or something like that, and it unsettled the car so much that I almost ran out twice under braking.

As you can see, nothing objective, it's just that i was never disappointed by Bridgestones, while I had mixed experiences with Michelins (different conditions, different cars, etc ...).
    This is the very reason why I am asking the question to the forum. My 550 is arriving next Friday, has PZeros on which are 50-60% so ... I am looking forward to changing them :)

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I saw Mike's car today withr S-02s, and I honestly think they 'look' better. Didn't get to feel / drive it (didn't even think to ask).

--Dan

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    OK, here's my experience for what its worth: I've had the P Zero on a bunch o' F cars, but i found that its sort of squishy stickiness did not fare quite as well on the 550, maybe because the car is such a barge. ;)
    The Pilot Sports seemed to require more heating up, and tended to break away early, quieter by far than the Pirelli, but a harder-feeling tire. I was ambivalent about the Bridgestones, may have to look up my earlier posts on them as well. I finally wound up with Goodyear Fioranos,about which i was skeptical at first, but it turned out that they seemed to have the best of both worlds: they stuck like the P- Zero but were more behaved, and quieter. They were truly expensive though, and i sourced them thru FNA itself. (It seemed like the P Zeros were also on deep backorder much of the time). None of this is scientific, although there may be technical reasons for my experience.