Tuning chips for 348 / Mondial t engine ? | FerrariChat

Tuning chips for 348 / Mondial t engine ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AR!, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Does anyone have experience with improved chip sets for the 348 tb/ts / Mondial t engine?

I found a source which claims an improvement by 30 hp with a new chipset. Also I found information indicating that the increase in power in the 348 GTB/GTS came from an upgrade in the electronic ignition system.

2. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    #2 MondialTCab, Apr 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have chipped my engine was a set from PowerChip Group. The guy I worked with there is Travis Cattach
    - [email protected].

Since I did not run a dyno test before/after I cannot give you a printout showing the improvement but what I can say is that I always felt the engine was somewhat flat between 2500 and 3500 and the chip has made a true difference there. For me, this was worth the price paid. Other than that, it feels better overall but that might just be because my wallet is lighter!

I have attached a datasheet so you can see what was installed.

Also, you might want to check with Nick's Forza - an FChat sponser - to see what he can do for you. For one reason or another, we did not synch up when I was doing this although I understand from PMs that he would have been able to make a few positive changes as well.

- JMG
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Hello MTC,

thank you for the interesting information. At least those powerchips come at a significantly lower price than here in Europe where they usually ask for 1.700 EUR or so, roughly double the price with the current conversion rate.

Did you get two chips, one for each of the ignition systems for the right and left cylinder bank? Did you exchange the chips yourself? Is your T equiped with Motronic 2.5 or 2.7? My T Cab has a 2.7 Version.

I was somehow surprised about the section concerning the octane rating of fuel, because it said that the Powership is available for 91 or 93 octane. Here in Germany every gas station offers fuel with 98 octane and Shell recently introduced a 100 octane version.

Regards
    Thorsten

4. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Price includes both chips...I shipped my 2.5 ECUs to them directly and they had them back the next day. I talked with Travis for a long time before pulling the trigger...mention that you talked with me if you email or call him.

I believe our octanes are closer than the numbers suggest as I seem recall Europe used a maximum figure for octone and the US uses and average of RON/MON. In any case, you can talk to them about how you want the chips set. I looked at the average octane that is available to me without bringing along additives and had the chips set there. I suspect you could go for something higher if your stations supported it. Email him and see what he says...he really seemed to know Ferraris well and the 3.4 in particular.

On another note - has the Valeo been reliable...did the weird shifting feeling go away? Too much of a leap of faith when I drove one...hard not to think clutch when you are changing gears! Otherwise...it felt just like my 92 did.

- JMG

5. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The 20 BHP power increase on the 348 GTS and GTB and spiders where from the larger plenum chamber and ECU changes.

I have 365 BHP from my 348 Spider using Dimex Chip...

0-100 km/h - 4.7 sec / 0-60 mph - 4.6 sec
    Top speed is 295 Km/h / 183 mph
    Max Rpm Limit - 8200 rpm
    Max Power Output – 269 Kw / 365 bhp (PS) at 7,800 rpm
    Max Torque – 375Nm / 278 lbs/ft at 5,200 rpm

6. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    They have also changed the heads, the compression ratio increased from 10.4:1 (Engine F119G, 300 HP) to 10.8:1 (Engine F119H, 320 HP) and the camshafts timings also changed.

Inlet valve opening changed from 12 degree before TDC (300 HP) to 10 degrees before TDC (320 HP), Inlet closing changed from 56 degrees after BDC (300 HP) to 58 degrees after BDC (320 HP).

Exhaust valve opening changed from 54 degrees before BDC (300 HP) to 50 degrees before BDC (320 HP) and Exhaust closing changed from 10 degrees after TDC (300 HP) to 14 degrees after TDC (320 HP).

Regards from germany, Georg

7. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    It's the kind of answer I like..thx for infos

8. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Thx to all for the comprehensive information!

@MTC: I am rather reluctant to source those chips in the US. Also because the last time I ordered electronics components in the US (a set of vacuum tubes for my guitar amplifier) the process with our customs was quite time consuming.

I personally like the valeo clutch. It took me maybe half an hour to get used to it. Recently I had the comparison to a similar semi-automatic transmission in the SMART Roadster (cute little car, 82 hp from 700 ccm but only 850 kg...). It was disappointing because the car brakes when you activate the gear change. The Ferrari system is far better although it is a decade older.

9. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    All Mondial owners are like family to me...if I can help with the process in any manner, let me know. I do have a buddy (my FCR navigator) going to Copenhagen soon, maybe you could ship them here and he could carry them back. Also, they are an international company...maybe you can get the chip work done there?

- JMG

10. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Thank you very much for offering support. I have to replace one of my electronic ignition boxes (cable fire) and thought it might me a good idea to take the opportunity to also replace the chip. But a couple of minutes ago I learned that my biggest problem is not the Motronic - it´s the wiring harness itself! There is not enough left of it for a repair and spares seem to be a problem - a big problem. Guess I am going to start a thread to see whether anyone knows a good source. Until I have resolved this matter I am afraid that an optimized chip is one of my minor problem :-(

Best regards
    Thorsten

11. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Reading other threads I found that you recommended the PRS 513 and lived in Brazil !? Funny. I´m a PRS player, too and also lived for 2,5 years in Brazil. It´really fortunate that we live on different continents, otherwise we would always stand in each others way competing for the same things :)

12. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    PRS Guitars rock... Where did you live in Brazil? I was in Sampa but spent a lot of time going around to the other decent sized cities. Also have been over in your neck of the woods, have extended family in Braunschwieg and Munchen and used to have a partner business in old Berlin. If I get back over there, will make sure to alert you so all the good toys have been purchased!

- JMG