I'm really having serious problems here!! | FerrariChat

I'm really having serious problems here!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ryalex, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm sure many of you can relate. It all started 3 years ago, when a friend gave me a ride in his 348 Spyder. I was hooked. From then on, my "carrot" to push me to perform has been F-car ownership. Like others here, car shows and building models was the only thing keeping me sane.

This summer I tormented myself trying to swing a 308, 400i, Mondial, whatever I could get my hands on. But I don't have a garage, and live in the city. My wife was also hesitant about flashing around in an F-car while in school (we both work though); I ended up with a new WRX that I really, really want to mod, but can never gather up the courage to void the warranty.

Then came the FFQC. The rides in so many F-cars, including a 360 Challenge and GT (see my description thread), has COMPLETELY WARPED MY FREAKING MIND! I can't focus. I struggle to read my casework. All I can think about is driving fast.

At the suggestion of some people I met at the FFQC, I've been looking at GoKarting, but am struggling to figure out a) where and b) how to get set up. Raised to be paranoid about motorcycles by my family, I've even been surfing sportbike dealer sites toying with the idea.

There's just nothing that can give that rush of adrenaline and endorphins that going fast and pulling high-G turns. When they warned me that the track day would be a 'baptism by fire' I didn't realize I was submitting myself to possession by a racing spirit!

2. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I'm with you - what is with this whole "school" thing anyway. I've heard tons of people talking about how much more they learn in one week of work than in 4 years of school. You should just try to get a job at a big firm and buy that fcar with the signing bonus ;)

I would like to kart as well, but then there is the whole money issue, and how to get there, and finding the time, and wh......

well, anyway, I hope you find a solution :D

3. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    I feel your pain, I am trying to buy a business and all I think about is buying a F-car.

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Boy I can relate! Although i guess trying to buy a Ferrari at 17 is a bit overkill to some :) So Ive got a few years ahead of me!!

5. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Just don't wait until 50 like I did. I should have bought one many years ago....

6. jmacphee

jmacphee Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joseph MacPhee
    For Karting have you tried F1 Boston? You can rent by the hour.

For a step up, there is Skip Barber at Lime Rock or, occasionally, New Hampshire International Speedway. You can take their racing school and then participate in races.

Neither, however, will replace staring at a 355 in your own garage. I would also caution against buying a bike or another car if what you really want is a Ferrari. I have done both and neither satisfied the desire.

BTW, I am supposed to be studying for the CPA exam and look what I'm doing!

Joe

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    F1Boston is bad-ass. I went as well... it's known all the way out here in CA in the local karting circles.

--Dan

8. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm going to look them up (I think they're in Quincy or Braintree...) and try a session or two to see if it works out. My biggest concern is fitting in them (I'm 6'0", 250+lbs.). More motivation to lose the 25lbs I gained this summer (which I had lost on Atkins in the Spring).

9. ljsaia

ljsaia Rookie

Mar 25, 2003
    Houma, Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Lyndon Saia
    Stay in school. Stick with Atkins ( I lost 40 lbs since July 2). A nice 328 GTB is not much more than that WRX. It might not be as practical but if that is what you really want! California Car cover make a great outdoor car cover.

Karting is as close to F1 driving as you are going to get. POWER to weight!

I waited until I was 40 to get my first F-car and wished, also, that I had gotten one sooner! You have no kids yet, it only gets harder to get one once the kids start coming!

Think hard it could be something you could enjoy as a break from school and something you could spend time with your wife on the weekends.

Lyndon

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    God...does this bring back memories! I got hooked on Fcars when I was 11 at the NY auto show and i got to sit in a Daytona.

I had a Fiat X 1/9 for a while and that was my Ferrari '154' for a while.

Since then I have had a 308QV, Mondial t cab, 348 Challenge, TR and an F40....I guess I got hooked!!

Stay in school! Ciao.....Dino

11. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Ryan,
    I feel your pain man! That last event in New Orleans left me with a much worse Ferrari bug than I already had. Just stay focused and keep working at it. Your already on your way with school so just keep your eye open for a good job once your finished. I can tell your heading in the right direction...just keep your self on track!

12. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just 'cause.

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Wow, such an old thread! How did you dig this up?

Did I read right, that you bought a 308?

14. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Study hard, get a good job or your own business and then start thinking about Ferraris. Good education is what you can fall back on when you fail to achieve your dream!

15. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Interestingly (or not) the depreciation "costs" of owning the WRX will set you back a number of months/years from F car ownership.

Been there, done that. Finally worked it out and drove a beaten up 1972 Celica for a few years and THEN I could afford the Fcar with the repayments I didn't make on a new car I didn't have those few years earlier.

Dave

16. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Possibly, but unlikely. Worse comes to worse I could get rid of it - we're not upside down on it - and by the time I finish grad school we won't have much to pay off. If anything, it might be the difference between a 308/328 and a TR...

17. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ryan,
    Be patient, work steadily toward your goals. I know the "bug" is rough to resist. Learn your trade, get settled in, after that see what it is, you want then. Trim the budget a bit to start building the F-car fund, this way you can soften the purchase. You'll get there.

Bill

18. Ronbo

Ronbo Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Morris County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Dude, you're at HLS, no? Unless you are going to clerk or work for the gov't there really shouldn't be a problem. Just buy a starter car - you probably know what you can afford.

BTW, a buddy of mine used his summer associate $$ to buy a Bentley Mark VI. Of course he stood out as "the guy with the car", but so what? The irony was that he wasn't from a wealthy family but he started getting attention from girls who were. He married one of them, too.

Ron