Road Trips? how far is too far? | FerrariChat

Road Trips? how far is too far?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TestShoot, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Well I am on the couch resting and getting cabin fever.

How many of you think it is ok to do a coast to coast and back road trip?

I will be taking my 550 in the springtime to North Carolina (visit family) then Virginia (visit my Navy friends), NY (Fashion week) and back to SoCal. Probably close to 6k round trip.

2. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Change the oil before you leave! It's a long trip but if you're up to it I say "Go for it".

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I wouldn't do it just because I'd get bored (yes, you read that correctly). I *love* the 550 to bits and pieces (eh, well, maybe not IN bits and pieces), but having driven from Houston to SF in 25 hours non-stop (with a friend's bmw which was misfiring, resulting in reduced speeds, with a friend who didn't drive at all!)...the very concept sounds silly.

Of course, Texas has NO scenery, NOTHING worth viewing. NM...more of the same. Your route should be considerably more interesting, but why not fly?

--Dan

4. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Go for it!!!!!

Maybe sort out some sights along the way. So you're only driving for 3-4 hours or less before stopping to see something.

There must be tonnes of things on the way you could see and really appreciate parts of America you haven't seen. You could start with any race-tracks, showrooms, areas of natural beauty and other things that take your fancy.

Just make sure you've got secure parking at every over-nighter!!!

Keep us informed of your progress,

Kind regards,

Andy

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I say Go For It!!!!!

Especially if you can take your time so that you can explore interesting areas along the way. If you have not too many time constraints, you can make changes and diversions as you go to see whatever interests you on the spur of the moment.

This would be a cool road trip with a significant other or a good buddy.

John

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    And the best part is that the 550 can make sure you get through the boring areas in the least amount of time!

I've always thought it would be cool to do a trip like that.

I'm jealous!

John

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dan, no way am I gonna sit here and let you get away with this, ha!

Point 1, if your idea of a road trip is to drive the super slabs, why brother? Just go ahead and ship the car and fly. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Point 2, one Summer I drove 10,000 miles around Texas giving seminars at various cities throughout the state. For example, I'd have to be in Dallas on Wednesday, Austin on on Friday, and if you buy me a hamburger today, I'll gladly repay you on Tuesday. Long story short, this was one of the best road trips that I ever took (and, yes, I did drive back and forth to El Paso 4 times!). I never drove on the Interstate unless I had to. I read every (and I mean every) road side marker in the state. At one point, I was following road signs that told the story of the the last Comanche raid/battle in the state. Another time, between Midland and El Paso, I came across this site where they had found an entire wagon train covered in sand. Apparently the Comanches had caught them at a water hole and killed every last one. Despite extensive research, no one was ever able to find any records about this wagon train. Keep in mind that I was doing all this during the Summer heat in August. Remember, a wise man once said that life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna git.

Point 3, I too am day dreaming about taking my 550 on a long road trip this Summer. On the surface, the goal is to go to Pebble Beach. However, the real fun will be the drive there and back. I'm tentatively planning on going through New Mexico mountains, the 4 Corners area, Southern Utah, Highway 50 in Nevada, go over the back side of the Tahoe mountains, and then follow the gold rush trails to Pebble. Man, I can't wait. I just might never return.

Dale

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    In addition to fresh fluids, I would recommend application of Stongard (or equivalent) before you leave. Even if you don't like it long-term, you can easily remove it when you get home. In the meantime, it'll make certain sections of our country far more enjoyable (much less anxiety).

Yes, there are some boring areas of the country... but then those are often good areas for some top-speed runs! Long straight stretches of highway with no trees or buildings or cars to obscure dangers... and the Stongard will protect you from the random tumbleweed. ;)

But the stretches of boring can be easily made up for by some absolutely awesome drives. For example, if you've never driven through the Rockies in a sportscar, you are missing out. Great twisties and gorgeous scenery. While I70 through Colorado is great... make sure you get off the interstate. I can give plenty of suggestions. (In contrast, I70 through Kansas... just stay on the Interstate and work on land speed records. ;) )

Once through TX or OK or KS (depending upon your route), Missouri is fantastic driving... especially if you're a fan of big sweepers. Definitely a state where extra torque makes a big difference. Alternatively, AK or Louisiana aren't bad themselves... and with a diversion through New Orleans, much fun can be had.

If you have the time to get off the interstate and enjoy yourself where its good, and are willing to race through the parts that are boring, then I say go for it! It'll be a treasured experience. If, OTOH, you are going to be in a hurry to get across the country to get to your east coast activities, then I might consider shipping the car and flying over... giving yourself more time to take detours and really enjoy the east coast. Then plan a separate trip to tour the Rockies properly.

JMHO.

9. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    I say do it! I often daydream about driving to LA from near Chicago in a 550 or 575. I'm really interested in hearing your adventures on the trip.

My .02 Lira

JMJ

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If you have time and $$ for the fuel..no such thing as too far in a Ferrari :)

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    GO! The Maranello is like first class travel on the ground! You won't regret it. I personally, would regret NOT doing it.

You know if you get there and don't feel like returning in the car, just put in a Horseless Carraige transport and fly back.

DL

12. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    The financial and rational aspects aside, I'd wonder if it is possible to undertake such a trip and retain your driving license: without cruise control, long hours of interstate driving sound like a deadly trap.

Are there ways to put cars on a train in the US to cover boring stretches in comfort and focus on the interesting bits ?

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  14. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I have done Irvine (CA) to Chicago in November once before, was ok.

WANDERLUST, open road, route 66 in Oklahoma, Kerouack...

My co-pilot (actually she is ballast) is one of my models. Sure we are no Gurney-Yates, and this is not the Mille Maglia, but a front engine Ferrari coast to coast should be fun.

I was worried about heat, reliability. Not that Ferraris were not made for open roads, but that kinda distance is the question. A list of dealers coast to coast would be nice. Not like that Saturn commercial where the kid stops to visit everyone, but incase I break something. (I am searching already)

Ferrari $261k
    Gas $900
    Food $400
    Speeding ticket $500
    Driving coast to coast with a model, priceless

As far as budget for goes, that is a non-issue, the model going with me is getting $1500 per show for fashion week (times five shows the first day alone) I am always part of a conscript army of show producers and coordinators, so I am getting paid. Even if I was not, I'd do it anyway. If I had a Vanquish, I'd not have even asked, I'd be out the door now scouting routes.

Wow, it would be better if I brought the Ducati then, but she is probably gonna be in no mood with our luggage shifting about. I am gonna immerse her in the art of Ferrari shifting and powerslides though.

Well I'll get a copy and keep it handy.

I am having our luggage sent ahead to my place in NY, so we can travels with a few changes of cliothes and not be loaded down with crap.

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Maybe what you should ask is, what kind of passenger will she be? I mean, while on the surface it sounds super-exotic to travel the country in a Ferrari with a model riding shotgun, what's her take going to be after 12 hours of sitting and sitting and sitting while mile after mile of flat Kansas/Texas/Oklahoma/Whateverrouteyoutake drone by her little window? After charting out garages and dealerships along the way, you may want to note nearby airports so when she demands to be in New York in 2 hours, you can drop her off and finish your ride. I love driving as much as anyone, but the thrill drops off sharply when you're just sitting along for the ride.

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Well she knocks out like a 3 year old in a car. Especially after we umm... Yeah. Once we were driving from Malibu at a party mid evening to a club on Sunset (about 15 miles total) she was out cold and drooling on the window when we pulled up. Make-up all over the window. Usually when I go to SD to bring her up to spend the weekend here in LA with me she is out before we reach Oceanside. So I figure, since the fuel economy ain't that great, a pitstop + "rotate the tires" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) will make for a quite, and rewarding drive.

She loves the Ferrari, I mean REALLY loves it. I worry sometimes like they are having an affair behind my back. I figure if I ask her to marry me, the only appropriate place would be the paddock ar Monza.

Yeah I know I'll get stuck with a minivan full of kids and she'll have the 550.

So I guess what I am hearing is enjoy the drive, give her loads of coloring books and keep her mildly sedated. Sounds like the 550 will be fine.

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Dale; find me some inspiring roads! :D Actually, running up to Seattle would be good time. Through OR would be quite the drive.

I gotta say, if you're gonna do it, either do it in the 550 or an F50! Nothing less.

--Dan

18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Wow, an open top car cross country, I have a bit of skin cancer already, I don't think the F50 is a good idea :(

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Sorry to hear it. It comes with a hard-top, though. That will suit you better?

--Dan

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I've done 1000 mile trips in my F355B! no problemo.

21. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    I never taken a cross country trip in a Ferrari, but I've done it a dozen times in a Porsche. My only concern was finding a safe place to park when stopping for the night.

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I usually pull the ignition coil wire on my p1800 and ducati when I park them in the open. I also will be carrying a 45.