Video Gamers, Best racing controllers ? | FerrariChat

Video Gamers, Best racing controllers ?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I need to get my hands on a PS2 so I can do a little track driving to get me in shape for the real thing end of May.

Whats the best controller for racing games ?

I remember about 5 yrs ago Automobile mag did a report on some sick controllers that were like Formula fords you could actually sit in.

That would be awesome but I want something that will work w my 80 inch front projector screen

2. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    William, I would reccomend getting XBOX instead. The reason for that is you get get the game " Project Gotham Racing 2" for it, which I would say is the best racing game. There is all sorts of Ferraris (including 250 GTO, Dino 246 GTS, 275 GTB/4, 355B, 360 Modena spider and CS, F40, F50, Enzo.)and tons of tracks (even Nurburgring). By controller do you mean a steering wheel and gas pedal set? If you do, I have th Madcatz MC2 wheel which would be the best choice.

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thrustmaster makes Ferrari steering wheels for PC's and maybe other coneols. check out their webstie for details.

4. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    I've heard those Ferrari ones are really bad and poorly made. The MC2 also has a shift knob and paddle shifters if you use a manual.

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thet probably do. I dont know anything about them other than that they exist.

6. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Logitec Driving GT Force Pro.

Amazing wheel, good feedback, looks good. The 'official' wheel of Gran Turismo 4.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a MadCatz wheel, complete POS. Stay away...

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Logitech Driving GT Force Pro. Has more wieght to it to feels like a real steering wheel, not like a toy. There was a MOMO edition unit that I tried a couple of years ago but can't remember who made it. That was buy far the best.

8. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i use a logitech driving force, and it actually werks on the PC too, real nice.

the new one should be available now, which has capabilities of 900 degrees of turning, which is almost as much as my X1/9.

much talk of racing cockpits is discussed here:
    http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=186

for games with great physics (on PC) you have:

Live For Speed (NOT "Need"), superb physics engine, dozens of tracks, about 7 cars (mostly regular beater cars but done really well), and the game is in beta at the moment. current full-beta version costs like $15US or something.
    http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=205

Racer, an in-development physics purist simulator. the engine written by one dude, with hundreds of tracks/cars created by many enthusiasts. definitely THE simulator to mess with if you're into realism. oh, did i mention it's free...
    http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=111

NetKar... haven't played this one for ages, but it's been raved about at length for it's physics. this is also free.
    http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=244

have fun.

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks Ash, great links :)

Think I'll set up 2 cockpits in my living room, 1 red & the other ?

Have to see if I can find some old F Ford bodies lying around that nobody wants :)

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Xbox all the way. Get that and PGR2. Rallisport Challenge 2 is supposed to be incredible too.

William, I saw in a mag today there's a game coming out TOCA Race Driver 2, that has a Koenig 512TR in it you can race.

11. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    We have a Logitech with a MOMO wheel that we bought at Best Buy a few months ago.

12. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
  13. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    They are releasing a new controler for Gran Turismo 4 along with the game. It's supposed to be the only one with 900 degrees of rotation. That combined with "the most realistic" physics in a racing game [GT4] makes for a pretty good drive. That's all coming out this summer.

14. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Not sure about controllers for PS2 but for a PC I'd highly recommend Logitech's MOMO wheel w/force feedback. I have one and it is a solid dependable wheel built tough as a brick sh*thouse.

Thrustmaster's wheels are junk. They're flimsy, they wear out quickly and won't last you a year if you're an "average" sim racer. Don't waste your $ on theirs.

15. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I doubt PS2's GT4 can compete with Xbox PGR2 with real world physics. Just not enough power from the PS2 to compete.

16. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    Got a beta/pre-release copy of Rallisport 2. The hill climbs are awesome, but the rest is ho-hum. Colin McRae 4 on the Xbox is much better. Fantastic game. TOCA 2 should be the cat's meow. Formula Fords, massive trucks, classics, V8s, etc. I hear the physics are quite good for console.

17. GoIn2Shock

GoIn2Shock Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    Dual Shock 2