512m exhaust | FerrariChat

512m exhaust

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by steve f, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i want to fit a sports exhaust to my 512m which is the best to fit and also do i fit cat bypass pipes or leave the cats on and what other mods do people recomend

2. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Your car is so rare that I doubt anyone has direct experience. It is also one of the only recent models that may one day be a collector car given the low volume especially as it became the definitive TR. With that said both Ansa and Tubi make freer flow exhausts that also look purdy! They run about $1200 I believe and the replacement pre cat can be about $400 each. Probably makes sense to wait until you do your belts before you fit the exhaust as its easier to do with the engine out - or so I am told.

There is also a Koenig model and there may be a couple more.

3. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Yeah, the F512M is a rare car, but the exhaust system is the same as the 512TR, so any sport muffler you select that fits the 512TR will fit the M. The cats do NOT have to be replaced with test pipes when installing a sport exhaust, as I have direct experience with this. The cats can also be replaced with test pipes if desired for around $600/pair. A Tubi sport exhaust will cost approx. $3k. The F512M likes to have its exhaust opened up, as does the 512TR, so if you decide to swap-out exhaust systems, save the original parts. Again from experience, the engine is so effecient, that installing test pipes and a sport exhaust, the car will still pass smog tests in most states. While your at it, how about a pair of K&N's ???

4. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Please pardon the temporary hijack of this thread, do you know the K&N part number for a 512?

Thanks, now back to our regularly scheduled chatting

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Enzomoon can help you.

There also is a set of Tubi headers that are made. (Not sure their cost)

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I am trying to decide what exhaust to get for my TR. I heard a Capristo racing exhaust with cats on a 360 last weekend. It sounded incredible - I am thinking about going that route. The other option is Tubi without cats (I heard this sounds incredible), but I don't think I want to bother with removing cats & then putting them back on for smog. The Capristo racing exhaust has a great sound even with the cats, so I am leaning in that direction - Just need to save the money for them now! :)

Have you posted any pics of your car on this site? Please post some in the showroom - I would love to see more - The seats look incredible! Please posts lots of pictures including interior shots!!!! :)

7. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    EnzoMoon is no longer a member of Fchat, and will not return as a member. I am the person who got the K&N's for EnzoMoon's 512M, the same as for the 512TR.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Can you PM the details to what happened? I hope he is well. He was a great guy, and I even made his avatar for him. :( I really looked up to him and wished to one day have a collection like his. He was one of my favorite people on fchat (him and Will) since they both have a passion for what all 3 of us (and I assume you as well) consider to be one of the all time best Ferrari designs. The 512 series.

Please give him my best.

9. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Sure, no prblem, I will see EnzoMoon in a couple of days, and will pass along your best regards. Yeah, the 512 series, IMHO, is the best car Ferrari has ever made for the street. It has all the elements... classic and functional design, 12 cylinders in the "right" place, beautiful engine notes, never breaks, and oh yeah, it goes pretty fast also. Perhaps it is time for the Maranello guys to re-introduce the next 512/Testarossa, as this type of car is sorely lacking in the current lineup.

10. p-o-r-s-c-h-e

p-o-r-s-c-h-e Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    Germany
    Just my feel of the sound: on my TR 512 M I had a "Fuchs", good design, nice sound, not to lound.

Juergen

11. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    On my 512TR I have a racing exhaust from V12 Engineering in Gilroy CA. I am sure that it would fit on a 512M with slight differences for the hard points.

I don't know if they have any more or if they would make another one but you could always call them to find out.

I love it. It is sedate at low rpms but once you put the hammer down it screams. Here is their web site. They specialize in Lambo's and are very well known and respected. http://www.lamborghinidiablo.com/V12/m5.htm

12. ANDYH

ANDYH Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    ANDY H
    Steve - Ive just had a Tubi exhaust fitted to my 512TR. It was done by Manu and the guys at Scuderia Systems. The sound now is awesome (and I understand will get better as I've only had it for 3 weeks). Much deeper and throatier growl on start up and then from around 3k revs it just blows you away. With the cats off its doubtful you will pass the noise limits on most tracks, and also you could run into emissions problems on mot day (unless you know a friendly tester). With cats on its supposed to be a touch less intrusive. Check out their website www.scuderiasystems.com
    By the way, it looks fantastic in the engine bay as well.

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I've heard it looks great from behind - Do you have any pics?

14. ANDYH

ANDYH Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    ANDY H
    will get some pics and post this weekend

15. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    G'Day Ron,

ever since you sent me the sound exerts of your exhaust, something has been puzzling me about the V12 Engineering product.
    from the pics, it looks like 4 independent streams for the exhaust. the original 512 exhaust goes (from one bank) 6 - 2 -1, so that they only fit 1 O2 sensor per bank. the V12s exhaust seems to do away with the 2-1 merging, so how do they handle the O2 sensor placements?

16. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    G'day yourself.

The pics on the V12 website are for Lambos. I only have two streams on the exhaust for the 512 so the O2 sensors are mounted, one per stream. But the pics are pretty accurate as to the size of each stream. As you can see it is very small. There is a significant weight reduction involved.

I do wish they made it in stainless though. It would be much better looking.

17. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Well that would explain why it sounds similar (in tone) to a Tubi. Tubi has two cans as well.

I think it would have a higher pitched rasp if it had 4 independent cans, but then the O2 sensor problem would crop up.

Thanks.

18. ANDYH

ANDYH Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    ANDY H
    finally managed to post a couple of pictures of the car and engine bay/exhaust. You can find them in the uk section under the "showroom" thread.

19. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Steve:
    I took the guts out of the pre-cats, replaced the cats with test pipes and fitted everything to a Tubi exhaust on my 512TR. The sound is incredible

20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    PS:
    The K&N part number is MM33-2069 for the 512TR. I paid $130 for the pair in 2001.