Why does the M3 Driver do that? | FerrariChat

Why does the M3 Driver do that?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Jimmy540i, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Guys:

Since the story just happened here is S. Cal, I will post here too.

It's Sunday 3:00 PM in Southern California, I decide to take my 360 for a spin.

On a mild traffic light stop, I get myself in the #1 lane (slow lane), and notice there’s a silver BMW M3 convertible (current E46 model) w/ 3 guys in it on #2 lane. I did not pay attention to the car nor the people in it, just sipping my coffee.

However, when the traffic moves along, I was doing about 50mph (still on the slow lane). The M3 was far behind due to the mild traffic. I noticed that M3 gunned the throttle and moved behind me. And all in the sudden, it's like he is going to rear-end my 360 on purpose. Of course when he gets close to my rear end, the driver merges to #2 lane than cut off to my lane and fled. I would assume he was going at least 110mph when he was far ahead of me.

I didn't slow down when the M3 passed by, just kept speed. I did down-shift a gear and slow down a bit after the M3 passed by to watch his success cutting off a Ferrari.

Man if I was in my 540i, I might have gunned and eat that thing for lunch. I just don't have the mood for that car while driving the Ferrari.

The Question is, what makes that M3 to do that? To show that he is outran the Ferrari? Or just simply to "REPRESENT"?

I would just drive normal and compliment the car if I were him, it would easy since he drives a convertible and my window was down.... and I would give M3 driver a smile or a thumbs up.

Like I said, this is really not a big deal, just a bit odd, please no negative comments, I was just wondering about the M3 driver's motivation.

Your comments? :)

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I think we all know the answer... drivers of certain cars equate their potency, their "manlihood" to their chosen car. They see a superior "competitor" as a threat to their self esteem and have to behave in an immature way. Even worse is when the superior competitor shows no interest, simply sipping his coffee! How infuriating! Just be glad our immature friend did not cause an accident!

I do find it an interesting study to watch the behavior of young testosterone bound men when faced with a better established "competitor" especially when the competitor show little or no interest in them. If there is a young female in attendance, even better...

3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    What makes stories even funnier, he'll tell his friends "I blew by a Ferrari and out ran him" when reality is much different. He'll never admit "yeah, I cut off a Ferrari in very slow bumper to bumper traffic" because that's just not impressive (and is down right stupid)

4. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    What sucks though is when these people decide to cut in front of you and it kicks up little stones. I try to drive just a bit faster then the flow to avoid these knuckleheads trying to cut in front(at the same time making sure I'm not sticking out like a sore thumb ;)

5. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

I couldn't agree with you more! Once I was on the 605 freeway heading southbound at about 60-65 and a guy in a tuned Integra did the same thing, but he kept braking and pulling up next to me and revving and no doubt that his car was fast. He would accelerate at 60 mph and would just gun it and I could barely see his lights but he would take the effort to slow down and wait for me to catch up to him, when all along I was still crusing at 60(haha)!
    Then I noticed that he had a girl sitting next to him. So yea, I guess the testerone and inferiority complex has alot to do with the motivation in these incidences. And to be honest, I have no doubt that his Integra was fast, because I used to work on them myself back in the early 90's. Nice cars too, but don't really want to race them. If I wanted to race one, I would get a 92 Integra and tune it and go street racing. And the we will see who is a better tuner or INTEGRA racer.
    Basically what I'm tryin to say is, don't take it in a bad way. Everyone has their reasons and their way of putting their stories together, like" I whooped a Ferrari today or hey, this Ferrari revved on me and I whooped him man!" But to tell you the truth, I don't let it get to me and he himself knows the real truth behind it. Just take it as a compliment.

6. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    happened to me today in the 308QV...but with a honda civic, on the 605 fwy.

It really has nothing to do with an M3 or Civic or any other car... it's more people being inappropriately stupid, trying to "egg" you on to "race them"...then they can say they raced a ferrari.

I wonder how they would feel if you slammed on the brake and their insurance had to pay for a rear-ended 360! (not recommended, btw!! :))

B.

7. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I drive a beemer too and I'm sorry that the M3 was a butthead.

I the same thing as F-passione. People like that make me mad. But what can do?

8. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I wonder if that has ever happed? And what was the aftermath... curious.

9. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

hmm... interesting topic. I'm curious too! That would SUCK!!!

10. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I dunno... but there are some real boneheads out there... when I was rear-ended, the driver came out and said to me, "why did you stop?"

I, of course, answered "...because the rest of the traffic did - how come you didn't?" LOL

I wouldn't risk it intentionally, though...

btw, I also drive a M3 (E36) ;)

Byron

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This kind of thing happens almost every time I have driven any of my Ferraris over the past 5 years! It goes with the territory. I don't know how long you have had your car but this is something you are just going to have to learn to deal with in L.A. or get rid of the car.

Of course, the other alternative is to forget about doing only 50 (or 60 on the freeway), throw the latte out the window and abuse the little pecker!

My "Idiot du jour", was a guy with a squeegee (in a gas station) who got irate over my not letting him clean my windscreen. His partner (with the shopping cart) wanted to race me for pinks!

Get used to it or like you said... drive your BMW.

DL

12. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    An M3 did that to My Brother in law and me about 5 mo. ago. I was driving his TR. SAME THING. But I had to go for it! DONE DEAL.... Need I say more.
    So yes, I've experienced it also. Always an M3

13. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    What do you think it would happen if you were in your enzo?

Scary thoughts :)

14. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    The best thing you can do with idiots like that is leave them alone or get off the freeway.
    I was driving my ZR1 on the 405 and a Mustang pulls up beside me. I figure OK well punch it up to 100 just for fun. I'm in the fast lane. So I pull on him a little and get off it because we are getting into traffic. There is a car in front of him in his lane. I can see this guy has to slow down or change lanes to the right. Instead, He doesn't slow down, he cuts in front of ME! I go to FULL BRAKE to give him an out and the guy just misses the car in his lane and just misses me. If I had been trying to race him still, there would have been a wreck.
    If anyone would have been hurt or killed by this guy, I would have been just as guilty in a court of law. A high price to pay "for a little fun"
    Bottom line, If I don't know the driver, I don't play......... Period.

Rick

15. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Jimmy... your timing couldn't be better.. I was going too vent my weekend frustrations on F-chat first thing this morning..!!!!!

I'm just fed-up with all these jealous f*cking a-holes...!! and as much as I try and remain positive (while keeping my cool), these issues are ruining my F-car experience.

#1. I'm doing 85 in the left lane, a pickup truck is riding 8 ft off my bumper, (I brake tap) then comes along side and tries side-swipe chicken with me ..

#2 4am this morning I'm book-in on a winding dark road (76). Nobody on the road but some ****** 10ft off my bumper trying to keep up me thru the curves. (He almost lost it twice)

I can list about a dozen other situations.. but these two issues this weekend really pissed me off..

It's getting real old...!!
    Patrick

16. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    M3 people that I have since on the road are arrogant. The need to learn they are not in a Ferrari :D

Armen you should have said "want to for pinks!" :) :D

17. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I think my next car will be an M3 :D :D

I'll meet you guys at Crystal Cove. After eating dust trying to follow Jeffery.

18. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    It happens to me all the time, but usually it is guys in camero's that try to race me. most of the time i just let them by and when they pass me they have a big smile on thier face like they just accomplished something great. every once in a while ill put them in thier place but that just invites more people to try and race you.

19. Sting

Sting Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Edmund Maino
    As a former M3 owner, I must addmit that the majority of M3 owners are tools. They think that just because they can afford the payment on a M3, that makes them better then anyone else (including you F-Boys). It is sick.

I sold my M3 to a 19 year old who took photos of himself and his friends thrashing the car (do burn-outs, dumping the clutch at 7,500 rpm and such). Then about two weeks after he sends me these photos, he calls me up and tells me that he is sueing me because the car broke on him! Well, to make a long story short I ended up buying him a Cat so that he would just leave me alone.

Many BMW owners (not all) have this major "I'm better them everyone else just because I have a Roundel on my hood" stick up their respective butts and what happened to you just proves that money cannot buy class, nor taste.

20. Simon @ evosport

Mar 4, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I've owned (and still do) several M3s and even race one...overall fantastic car (no flames please!). In general, owners of M3s are young (and many times immature) individuals, who happen to be car fanatics. The sight of a Ferrari excites them and the "thought" that their $50k BMW can keep pace with one excites them even more. Still, I don't personally think it's an M3 thing...more so that whenever you're in a Ferrari (or exotic), everyone and their mother wants your attention. While some of us find that annoying, to others, that is the reason for buying a Ferrari (hmmm). Regardless, you have to accept (you don't have to tolerate) this unwarranted harassment when you decide to take the wheel of a prancing horse. I agree it's extremely annoying, though. Keep in mind, I'm sure they think us Ferrari owners are arrogant as well :D

By the way, I've seen the way you drive your 540 on the freeway Jimmy...no comment ;)

21. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    What about Benz owners too. I know one who thinks everyone is racing him if they go faster even if it's a mom in a minivan! :D

22. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Man, it's not just limited to Ferrari's being victimized, I just bought a 1989 Porsche 928S4 and so far it seems I've been tailgated by every SUV in So Cal. Big BMW and Lexus sedans seem to be enraged by my existance as well. This behavior does not happen when I'm in the AudiS4.

Last night on the 10 going west into Santa Monica I was zipping along in the fast lane with nothing ahead of me. As the 405/10 west merges I watched a Tahoe with a female driver coming over (not aggressively) but she held herself to the middle lane. Once past I increased speed to 95mph or so since it was clear ahead. In the mirror though I see the Tahoe hit the left lane and start making up ground. Anyway, coming up on Lincoln Blvd with traffic I start to slow and merge far right. Here comes the Tahoe, in an aggressive move she actually weaves between cars and puts herself in my rear trunk. At the slow speed I was going she could've easily passed on my left as it is a two lane exit. I didn't bother brake checking her, I just got on it again and took the next exit.

23. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach

I am totally with you on this issue..People love ferraris and they wish they were driving one (especially M3 owners)...enough said....I wont have mine until the end of this month but I am sure the attention will get old really quick. I think I will limit my driving to strickly to the newport beach area (atleast that is my plan).

But in support of the E46 M3.. that is one fast car, it will put a 348 to shame and run neck to neck with a 355 and costs about $50K new.

24. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    And my 14 year old Corrado which was $17k new with $29k into it will dust any stock E46 M3 and most mildly modified ones. But that's not the point. Which has more spirit, a really fast VW, BMW or a Ferrari? I mean, come on... which would you rather drive? Not a hard question. Anything can be made fast, with enough money into it. There is a chysler minivan that runs 11's in the quarter mile in stock trim, he just plumbed in a huge amount of nitrous. But even though it's fast in a straight line, I sure wouldn't care to tool around in it.

Back to topic, I have to admit, I've egged on many cars in my time, only one Ferrari though... older 308 that I knew I could harass. Most of the time though, I just want to pull up and get a closer look at the Ferrari. The most frustrating drive I ever had was a few weeks ago, trying to get a closer look at a black Enzo.... I think the "boy racer" look my car has made its driver think I was egging him on, but all I wanted to do was drool glassy eyed, just a little closer. But every time I got within 5 cars (from the next lane over, mind you) he gunned it and put a few hundred yards between us, then slowed down. I never did get to see it from alongside, Grrrrrrr.....

25. Sting

Sting Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Edmund Maino
    "And my 14 year old Corrado which was $17k new with $29k into it will dust any stock E46 M3 and most mildly modified ones."

I'm calling BS on this one. A front wheel drive VW cannot keep pace with a rear wheel drive E46 M3, even a stock one. Plus, 1/4 racing is for individuals who have no idea what they are doing behind the wheel of a car.

Don't want to start a flame war, just stating a point.